RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   3.5yr old building 1st kit!!!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/10707429-3-5yr-old-building-1st-kit.html)

flygilmore 09-08-2011 10:55 AM

3.5yr old building 1st kit!!!!!

Well, my son and I are starting his first official build together! Last spring I bought him a Great Planes PT 60 (kit of course) and put it up until the right time. For whatever reason, I just felt like the right time was now so we got it down and began the build on Monday 9/5. It is really special to me to have him building this plane with me and even though he is young, he is very intellegent and learning very quickly! He has been fiddling around down in my "airplane room" since he was in his bouncy seat so seeing me build is nothing new to him.
My first plane was also a PT trainer in a .40size however and I really loved how it flew. My plan is to let him work on the kit whenever he feels like it and to keep each build session to approx 20min. so that his interest is not lost. So far, he has helped with everything from inventory of parts, laying plans out, pinning parts down, glueing, sanding and using a Zona saw to cut stuff. We are done with the tail feathers and halfway into the fuse so far and it is going to be a super easy build. I am planning on keeping the kit true to stock form except for adding a bit of area to the rudder. I am also planning on building both a "beginner wing and a sport wing" so that we may interchange the two if we so desire and both will be bolt down.

I plan (as of now) to use a Saito .72, DS821 servos and prob. an A123 RX pack

My son wants the plane to look like "Buzz Lightyear" so should be interesting to say the least. I will try and get some pics when I can...I don't have access at this point in time to a computer at home though so it may be a while before I can get them loaded.

Just curious to hear from others who have done this very thing with your children and how it went. I do have an old computer with RealFlight on it and he will be playing around on that while we build this plane. Hopefully, it will be done by his 4th birthday in Dec. Hopefully this adventure will spark his desire and result in a lifelong love for the hobby....hoping and praying it will!

Buckmeister 09-08-2011 11:45 AM

RE: 3.5yr old building 1st kit!!!!!

As long as the kid wants to participate, let him do all he can handle. He may surprise you and everyone you know.
He may also lose interest and that is when you need to let it rest. He has a lot of things to interest him before he gets hooked on any one thing.

Sounds like you have a good plan.
As long as he has interest you will both have fun and learn a lot
Good luck

Corsair Brotherhood #69

flygilmore 09-09-2011 07:56 AM

I know all too well about being pushed into stuff.....believe me! My father used to be this way about sports with me and it led me to hate any and everything about them. I want to make sure that I never push any of my children like I was-there is no quicker way to shut someone down than to force them to do something that should be done for fun and relaxation!

I plan on being very careful in this regard and knowing what I do from my past, I think it will help me greatly as a father myself!

EscapeFlyer 09-09-2011 08:10 AM

Having a daughter that has an interest WITH me, not being pushed into it... You will still be accused of pushing him into it whether he is the one initiating it or not.

Just be prepared. My daughter is 9 yrs old, and I get grief even at her age. You will never convince those that disagree. Been there, done that. I think you will enjoy this very much. Starting a 3.5yrs old, he ought to be a prodigy!

Take lots of pictures and share with all of us, please!

Brian

fast jets 09-11-2011 07:52 PM

Well I will share my experance.

I had built a Kadet before we ever had any kids, frist two were girls and then came our son. He was a big hand full and always very busy, he came to the field every once in awhile but never showed much interst.. I always told myself that I would never push my kids into anything, so when he turned 5 he finaly asked if he could try. We tryed it a few times and he would try if for a few secounds and gave me the transmitter and ran off to do other things. Next flying season came and he asked me again if he could have a go, I pulled out the Kadet and took it up and handed him the transmitter. By they end of the day he was flying all by him self, at age seven he had a great planes extra. At 8 he was flying electric jets and 3d props, at 11 he went on to turbines. He just turned 14 and while we were at the jet world masters he flew noon time demos almost everday. He builds and flys ever spare minute he has and when we are on the road to differant events he talks his face off. I have for the last few years had to pick up fuel in 45 gallon drums so that I can keep up with his endless enger.

John

ARUP 09-12-2011 04:18 AM

Good on ya! Have fun!

stevenmax50 09-13-2011 04:36 PM

I have a 21 yr old stepson who is very interested.  I bought him a trainer when he was 19.  He comes out about 3 times a year cause he is too busy.  Even though he only comes out a few times yearly, he can still fly that trainer.  Its the video game thumbs.

Jim_Purcha 09-13-2011 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
John, I very much enjoyed watching Greg's demo flight at the Cellar Dweller Fun Fly last month. I'm just returning to the hobby the last 4 years and my son Brent is turning 7. He is very eager to fly also.

Jim

[youtube] www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tps70IHzdaA&feature=mfu_in_order&l ist=UL[youtube]

ORIGINAL: fast jets

Well I will share my experance.

I had built a Kadet before we ever had any kids, frist two were girls and then came our son. He was a big hand full and always very busy, he came to the field every once in awhile but never showed much interst.. I always told myself that I would never push my kids into anything, so when he turned 5 he finaly asked if he could try. We tryed it a few times and he would try if for a few secounds and gave me the transmitter and ran off to do other things. Next flying season came and he asked me again if he could have a go, I pulled out the Kadet and took it up and handed him the transmitter. By they end of the day he was flying all by him self, at age seven he had a great planes extra. At 8 he was flying electric jets and 3d props, at 11 he went on to turbines. He just turned 14 and while we were at the jet world masters he flew noon time demos almost everday. He builds and flys ever spare minute he has and when we are on the road to differant events he talks his face off. I have for the last few years had to pick up fuel in 45 gallon drums so that I can keep up with his endless enger.

John

flygilmore 09-15-2011 07:52 AM

My son normally always goes with me to the field.....I am lucky enough to have my own personal strip that is in the middle of my familys 300+ acre farm. He normally asks to fly each time and will have a go at the sticks which he normally wants to do loops/rolls etc. instead of the basics. I hold the TX and let him stand in front of me and wiggle the sticks around so he can at least get a feel for the process. He will normally do this for a few seconds and then tell me to take it back. I am hopeful that once he starts his time on realflight that it will come naturally to him-he allready flies his Airhogs helis (has the stinger and the missile launching one) and can do very, very well with them. He also has several RC cars/trucks and that has helped him get a feel for a radio in his hands.

Nice hearing about others who have done this as well on here....I am taking a few pics here and there and we are almost done building the fuse.

Jim_Purcha 09-15-2011 09:28 AM

If I had to choose a model for my kids to learn to fly with it would have to be the Sig Kadet LT-40. I had a Mark II many years ago, and soloed in ten flights. I noticed that nitroplanes has the LT-40 copy back in stock. At $84.00 it beats the price of the kit which is $145.00 at the LHS. The two clubs I belong to are only 15 minutes from home, even thoughare house back's indirectly onto tofarm landacross theroad. My son is trying to fly a commander II.

Jim