RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Name this kit (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/10765148-name-kit.html)

dasquirrelisme 10-14-2011 10:08 AM

Name this kit

1 Attachment(s)
I have a little airplane I picked up at the swap meet last week and dont know what it is. I thought it might be a house of balsa shoestring but the guy told me it was a midget mustang. It looks like it could have been built either a low wing or a midwing and the span is about 41 inches. I had to make a few parts and fix a few things and add covering. I never realized that the smaller planes are harder to cover than the bigger ones.

draftman1 10-14-2011 12:42 PM

RE: Name this kit

it doesnt look anything like a mustang of any kind to me. it has the lines of a shoestring or a nemises type

cfircav8r 10-14-2011 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It does look similar to a midget mustang, maybe a little sleeker.

Jim_Purcha 10-14-2011 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks more like a Cassutt.

crazy nick 10-14-2011 02:48 PM

Kind of reminds me of a little tony

cfircav8r 10-15-2011 10:51 AM

All are very similar aircraft, and designed for the same purpose. Being that the ratios and airfoils have almost certainly been modified to make it perform properly at that size you could probably call it any one of those and be just as accurate. I do believe that the cassut is a closer match as the wing on the Midget Mustang appears to be closer to a low wing than a mid wing.

dasquirrelisme 10-15-2011 01:29 PM

I think it is a Cassut racer. The tail on the shoestring and midget mustang are different. Whatever is really is dont realy matter, I just hope it is fun to fly. My main concern is geting the CG and throws for it.

ARUP 10-15-2011 03:49 PM

Post it on the racing forums. Those guys know all those semi-scale airplanes. Looks like a semi scale Cassutt.

dasquirrelisme 10-15-2011 05:00 PM

Thanks Arup I will give that a try.

proptop 10-15-2011 05:48 PM

Might be an 'Ole Tiger?

The Cassutt has a constant chord wing...correct?

The 'Ole Tiger resembles a Cassutt, but has a tapered wing planform.

ARUP 10-16-2011 06:21 AM

The Cassutt origionally had a constant chord wing but many owners changed things and modified all of these airplanes though time. Judy Wagner raced a heavily modified Shoestring but it doesn't look like the Shoestring with which we are are familiar. Another example is Nemesis. I could be wrong but Nemesis was based on the Cassutt design. It's a shame more of these airplanes aren't modeled for there are so many and they have such rich histories!

dasquirrelisme 10-16-2011 10:29 AM

There isnt anything better than the racers. Atleast in my opinion. Most of the people in my club are into the aerobatics but hopefully I can get alittle racing thing going next spring.

RBTHNTR64 12-05-2011 09:03 AM

House of Balsa Miss Dara.

deckerv 12-05-2011 12:34 PM

Didn't Sterling have a kit VERY similar to this?? for some reason....real sporty sticks to my mind as the kits name??</p>

deckerv 12-05-2011 12:38 PM

nevermind....does not look like a total match

ARUP 12-06-2011 09:53 AM

ORIGINAL: deckerv

Didn't Sterling have a kit VERY similar to this?? for some reason....real sporty sticks to my mind as the kits name??</p>
Yes- 'Real Sporty' was a Sterling kit. RS was a modified Cassutt. The Cassutt makes a great flying model airplane. I have built three and still have one!