RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Balsa USA Fokker DRI 1/4 scale (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/10842479-balsa-usa-fokker-dri-1-4-scale.html)

deljon 01-08-2012 07:17 PM

RE: Balsa USA Fokker DR1 1/4 scale

Anthony, where did you get the info that the rudder was streaked?? I have never heard of that on a Dr.1, all I
have seen or read about is they all came from the factory with the rudder painted white.

Del

WacoNut 01-09-2012 04:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Del,
I have saved many dirrent color plates that I downloaded off the net. I did a google search for Richtofen's Fokker DRI's and it turned up quite alot of info. FokkerDRI.com and theaerodrome.com have tons of info as well.

Here is a color plane that I saved from cutting edge. I believe they sell decal sets for plastic models. Also a pic of 127/17 in it's early paint scheme. The rudder is definetly streaked and it really thru me off for a while. As far as I know this is the only DRI with a streaked rudder.

Th black and white photo has alot of good info in it. You can see how much of the blue color wrapped up around the bottom of the fuse onto the sided as well as the stab and elevators. It also appears they layed a towel/tarp over the sub wing and I am guessing to catch any oil dripping from the engine. Also I have 2 pictures of this plane and in both of them the left aileron has a brighter white cross field. Maybe recovered and repainted at the field?
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 01-09-2012 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The fuse is now covered,
So far so good on the covering. No wrinkles. I am going to try and get the remaining parts covered today and the rest of the week will be spent filling the weave.
Later!!
Anthony

deljon 01-09-2012 01:50 PM

In checking Greg VanWyngarden's book on the Dr.1, the rudder was indeed overpainted with
streaked olive leaving a white border around the cross. This was a field modifacation.
I stand corrected.............:D

Del

acerc 01-09-2012 02:32 PM

Hey Anthony, 
How close to Koverall would you say that material is in application. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being no similarities what so ever.

WacoNut 01-09-2012 03:21 PM

Hi Del,
It was driving me nuts for a while. Like you I had never seen or heard of a DRI with a camo rudder.

Robert,
I would say an 8. It is very close to Koverall. It is just a little stiffer and can be just a little tougher to work around a tight bend like the T/E and get it to stick. This is what took me so long with the wings trying to get it wrapped around the scallops. I would not hesitate to use this fabric again. I would stay away from it on anything smaller than a 1/4 scale plane though.

My sneaking suspicion is it will take less work to fill the weave on this fabric. I will let you know in a coule of days.

I am covering the last 3 pieces, the sub wing and the caps. I sheeted the entire sub wing with balsa and made sure it matched up with the caps. I have the bottom of all 3 pieces covered and will cover the tops after dinner. I am getting tired of putting on fabric that is for sure.

Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 01-09-2012 03:27 PM

BTW:
I used over 90% of the 4yds of fabric that I ordered[&o]

The largets piece I have left out of a 6'x12' piece of fabric is approx 24" x 36". I didn't really try to conserve fabric while covering but I ran much closer than I anticipated. I almost started to panic when I went to cover the fuse this morning and saw how much material I had used.
Later!!
Anthony

VincentJ 01-09-2012 05:14 PM

Very Nice! You cover as fast as you build. Don't know how you do it...

WacoNut 01-09-2012 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Vincent,
It's all in the hours. I covered the plane in 3 days but there were 30+ hours invested in those 3 days.

I just finished the last parts, feels good to be done with attaching all the fabric. One big milestone out of the way. The landing gear wires and the cabanes were a real PITA to cover.

AHHHHH I just realised I need to drill the holes for the fuel dots in the removeable bottom access hatch then cover:eek: Well one more piece to put fabric on tomorrow then start applying Polycrylic.

Once I get all the weave filled I will assemble the plane for some pics before starting the painting.

Here is a couple pics of the landing gear legs, cabame wires and the sub wing and caps.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 01-10-2012 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Drilled the holes for the fuel dots and covered the hatch cover.

All the flying surfaces have had a coat of Polycrylic applied to both sides and the landing gears legs, cabanes and fuse have had 2 coats.

Tomorrow night the parts that have had 2 coats will get a light sanding and a 3rd coat applied and the other parts will get their 2nd coat. I was still hearing that tell tale zipping sound on the 2nd coat on the fuse of the foam brush over the fabric weave. It will most likely take 4 coats of Polycrylic to get the results I am looking for.

For applying the Polycrylic I am using cheap 3" foam brushes. Usually by the time you finish applying the 1st coat to a plane the 1st brush will start to shed some foam and it's time to throw it away. As the fabric starts to fill on the following coats the brush tends to last longer. I am thinning the Polycrylic approx 15% with water. Could probably thin a little more but you then risk puddleing under the fabric.

Here are a few pics of how it is looking. It will look much better as the coats build up.
Later!!
Anthony

roncannell 01-10-2012 07:40 PM

My goal was to cover the Cabane /LG Fairings with two pcs of covering to cut down on seams. Let's just say Uhhh No, did'nt happen!
Thanks for the detail on the covering, I have never used this product. Seems to me like it would last longer without sagging and be a bit sturdier.
Looks like the ply blended nice into the top Sub wing. You won't regret that.

WacoNut 01-11-2012 04:42 PM

Hi Ron,
The covering will remain taught forever. I have covered many planes with polyester fabric and it is more work than iron on coverings but I think the extra effort is worth it.

I sheeted the sub wing top and bottom with balsa. I stripped off the cap strips top and bottom and replaced them with the 3/32 balsa sheeting. It didn't add much weight and the added strenth will help. I am sure the balsa will hold up with the fabric over it.

I sanded all the parts and hit the seams a little harder and gave everything a coat of Polycrylic. This will probably need repeated over the next couple of nights. Hopefully when I am finished the seams will have all but disappeared.

I will stop by Home Depot on Saturday after work and get the paints mixed. I will start out by getting the light blue and the tan base color.
Later!!
Anthony

acerc 01-11-2012 05:08 PM

Boy that is looking mighty fine there Anthony. By the photo of the fuse look's like a couple more coat's and you'll have a glass finish. Looking forward to seeing it finished. 

WacoNut 01-11-2012 05:36 PM

Hi Robert,
I am anxious to see how it turns out but this is one part of the process you can't rush. Sand, coat , dry , sand , coat , dry. Just keep doing it until it looks ready for paint.
The fuse looks pretty good after the 3rd coat. I may need to add another coat just over the seams. I will know better after it dries and I give it another sanding tomorrow.

I also just remembered to order my fiberglass cowling. Hopefully it arrives by the middle of next week.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 01-12-2012 06:14 PM

I just gave what I think will be the final coat of Polycrylic to the fuselage. The seams on the bottom of the wings at the scallops are requiring some special attention to get them to blend in. I will keep coating and sanding the seams until I have them filled.

I received an e-mail that my cowl shipped today so I should have it early next week. I have to work all weekend so I am not sure at this point when I will start laying down paint. I hope by Sunday evening to be putting the 1st color on.

Later!!
Anthony

Cub Flyer Fresno 01-12-2012 07:07 PM

Anthony,<div>
</div><div>If I send you the rest of my Cub, can you finish it up for me and send it back next week?  :D</div><div>
</div><div>That's pretty freekin' incredible dude!  Whew!  My head is spinning.</div><div>
</div><div>Take care,</div><div>David</div>

VincentJ 01-13-2012 06:35 AM

What are you talking about next week- how about next day! LOL</p>

WacoNut 01-13-2012 02:25 PM

David, I would love to help but NO:D

I would deprive you of all the fun and experience.

I will take some pics tonight of how the fabric is looking. I hope to start spraying some primer tomorrow. This is not really necessary when painting with latex but it helps to identify any issues you may have with the covering job that will show up in the paint. Due to the Polycrylic being clear it can be hard to see any defects. I hope I don't have many;)
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 01-13-2012 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I gave everything a good sanding and another coat of Polycrylic. The wings will need another sanding and another coat but that should be it. I could still feel a few of the seams on the wings. These were given a good sanding to the high side of the seam and then coated. It is a bit of a laborious process but it is worth it in the end.
The fuse and the tail feathers are in very good shape the seams have all but dissapeared. I will give them a light sanding tomorrow and a shot of primer. I use Dupli-Color high fill primer. This a fast drying and easy sanding primer. The majority of the primer will be sanded off while checking for imperfections and smoothing out the surface for paint.

Here are a few pics of how it is looking.
Anthony

acerc 01-13-2012 06:12 PM

Looking good my man. What are you useing to sand with, foam- sponge?</p>

WacoNut 01-13-2012 06:47 PM

Hi Robert,
Just good old 220 paper. I used to use the sanding sponges but I could not feel the edge of the sheeting thru the sponge very well and you have to be really careful not to sand thru the fabric at the edges. You can press down pretty good on the sheeting or the open surface but not the edges as you will sand thru in a hurry.
Also Polycrylic really balls up as you are sanding it. It is very flexable and is like sanding rubber. A piece of sandpaper fills up pretty quick. I probably wind up sanding off 60% of what is brushed on when it is all said and done.
I measured the thickness of the fabric and it is .004", it takes at least 4 coats to build up that amount along the seams. I wind up sanding every bit off the top side of the seams while building up the bottom side with the coats. Since I am not putting rib or re-inforcement tapes on this plane I have to take more time to get the seams blended in. No place to hide them.
Later!!
Anthony

acerc 01-13-2012 07:07 PM

Sanding an open structure is a pain. Thought maybe you discovered something new as fast as you got thru it. That is also one of the biggest reason's I like stits.No sanding required. But will be going to latex next, wishfull thinking.</p>

deljon 01-13-2012 11:35 PM

Don't get rid of all of them, seams are scale on WW1 planes.................:D

Del

WacoNut 01-14-2012 09:46 AM

Del Thanks for the paint codes!!!

I stopped and had my paints mixed on the way home from work today. The turquoise for the bottom looks excellent. I can wait to get to the painting. The only color I didn't get was the red but I won't be needing that for a while.

I have alot of sanding to do.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 01-14-2012 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I sanded everything again and sprayed a light coat of primer. So far from what I can tell there are no pinholes anywhere in the fabric and everything is looking good. I will let all the parts dry and gas out until I get home from work tomorrow and give them a light sanding and start masking for the bottom color.

Here are a few pics of all the parts in primer.
Later!!
Anthony