RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Hostetler Lancair ES Build with retracts. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/10889873-hostetler-lancair-es-build-retracts.html)

sebo 01-03-2012 01:49 PM

Hostetler Lancair ES Build with retracts.

1 Attachment(s)

I started this build in 2010. I am a slow builder so I have been taking pictures along the way.
The Lancair ES does not call for retracts but I think that a plane looks cool with them.
Being unable to find retracts for the IV version I decided to use the Lancair ES wing because it is thicker and the retracts that I have will fit.
I am planning on using Dave Platts' Spitfire Retracts.....not scale looking on the ground but when they are pulled up, nobody can tell the difference..
At the moment I have no idea of what retract I will use for the nose....Maybe someone can make a suggestion as I near that point in the construction.
I'm getting ready to go to the Gateway R/C Club Meeting now...Will start posting tomorrow.</p>

sebo 01-03-2012 08:30 PM

RE: Hostetler Lancair ES Build with retracts.

1 Attachment(s)
The fuselage starts out as a basic box. Pre-cut pieces are added to give the basic shape.

You might have noticed that I built an extended engine mount for my Saito 300 Twin..
<span style="color: #ff6600">A little more detail is shown 2 steps further down in the thread</span>.
I fitted the engine to the mount and mounted it....then I removed it from the mount.
I attached the newly built mount to the firewall with 30 minute epoxy.
This activity was performed before the planking was started.
</p>

sebo 01-03-2012 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To keep these formers in shape and to help me from breaking them as I applied the balsa sheeting, I used (3) 1/4 square stringers on each side of the fuselage.
The kit was cut by Precision Models.
Three inch sheeting was supplied to mold around the model. I found this difficult to do so I cut the sheets intoinch and a half wide planks and then proceeded to plank the model.
The white stuff you will see in the planking and elsewhere in pictures is spackling compound...it fills holes and low spots very well and sands like a champ.
Oh yea, the area where the cockpit will be is planked at this time also....I plan to remedy that later on in the build. As for now, it adds strength and holds the shape of the model very well....I also plan on doing the cockpit (carpet and seating) as well as nav lights.
It's going to take a while.

sebo 01-03-2012 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)

This is a closer look at the extended engine mount for my Saito 300 Twin.
After the epoxy had set on the engine mount box I fitted the engine to the mount.
When I was satisfied with the fit I removed the engine and epoxied the mount to the firewall.
Afterthe epoxy curedI drilled holes thru the box and the firewall anddrove dowel rods thru from the front of thebox thru the firewall
andCA'd them intoplace. I felt that this would make a more secure attachment. (see the little black dots on the secondphoto.)</p>

sebo 01-03-2012 09:33 PM

I did not plank the bottom of the fuselage....not even yet...
I want to be able to put push rods in their proper places to the elevator and rudder.
I also want to be able to put in servo mounts and receiver/battery mounts.
Maybe even put in a smoke system.
Also need to make allowance for nose gear box, mountand steering.
It surely has gotten cold here in Jacksonville, Florida.....24 degrees tonight and 49 high tomorrow.
Now I remember why I moved down South.
It's good building weather but on Saturday it is supposed to get into the 70's again.
Building will slow down then....will have to fly.
Plan on seeing more posts tomorrow.

sebo 01-04-2012 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Pictures of the planked fuselage.</p>

sebo 01-04-2012 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Let's start the vertical fin.......

sebo 01-04-2012 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK......now let's sheet it

sebo 01-04-2012 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sheeted with holes drilled for Robart Hinge Points.

sebo 01-04-2012 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Since the vertical fin is done we may as well go for the rudder.

sebo 01-04-2012 12:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sheeting the rudder.

sebo 01-04-2012 12:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Final fitting the rudder to the stabilizer before setting it aside..

sebo 01-04-2012 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Mmmmmmmmmm........elevator halve?
Let's give it a shot.
<span style="color: #008080">Hey! If you have any questions along the way ........... I don't wanna know.</span><span style="color: #ff6600">
</span>Seriously, send them along and I'll do my best to answer them.</p>

sebo 01-04-2012 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)

More elevator pictures.
Horizontal stab comes next.....as you can see...a fit is already in progress in the second picture.</p>

sebo 01-04-2012 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Too cold to fly today so I am posting more pictures.

Horizontal stab.

sebo 01-04-2012 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Horizontal stab nearing completion.......
Hinges positioned and control horns bent for installation at a later point in the build.

LargeScale88 01-04-2012 01:32 PM

Nice looking project. You are doing a fantastic job!

Jason

sebo 01-04-2012 01:34 PM

That's enough for today, folks.....Actually, this is very time-consuming. But, it is a labor of love.

sebo 01-04-2012 01:38 PM

Thanks, Jason.
I am more in favor of doing it with pictures...
Sometimes I get wordy but that is when I don't have much progress to show.......as in the wings.......That's next.

sebo 01-04-2012 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)

This is a picture of what the original landing gear looked like....no one makes it for r/c aircraft. that's why I am using the spitfire retracts.</p>

sebo 01-04-2012 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey...a Lancair with flaps.!!
I'm still working on the wings................Why NOT????

sebo 01-06-2012 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The wing.

<u><span style="color: #993366">STARTING THE WING
</span></u>
<u><span style="color: #ff0000">AT POST # 29. THE WING INSTRUCTIONS ARE MUCH BETTER...........I LEARNED FROM BUILDING THIS WING.
</span>
</u>
PLEASE LOOK AT THESE TOO...THEY MIGHT OFFER SOME INSIGHT ALSO.
I couldn't figure out how to build it with those little tabs on the bottom, so I decided to build it upside down.
It kept the spars straight and nice and flat.

<span style="color: #ff0000"><span style="font-size: larger"><u>Warning.....</u></span></span><u>Don't cut the spars short (as I did). Because of this dumb move I had to splice and reinforce them.
</u> <u>They have to be as long as the leading edge...

</u>
<span style="color: #008080">I was missing 4 spars so I bought them at my local hobby shop.

</span><span style="font-size: larger"><span style="color: #008080">Be sure to leave the leading edge stick up above and belowthewing ribs so thatthe wing sheeting will meet with it properly.</span></span>

sebo 01-06-2012 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple more pictures of the wing build.
The ribs came neatly packaged in their own bag as did all of the other items that you would consider as loose pieces.
The cutting was excellent.

sebo 01-07-2012 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More wing build.........

sebo 01-07-2012 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More pictures of plane.