RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Painting SIG Koverall (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/10954683-painting-sig-koverall.html)

blackdog1961 02-11-2012 04:48 PM

Painting SIG Koverall

I am covering a 4*120 with SIG Koverall.

I used koverall on a previous project and liked how tough it was but I did not love my paint job. I adhered the fabric with nitrate dope then filled the fabric with nitrate dope mixed with talcum powder. I followed with spray automobile primer and then spray paint (krylon and rustoleum) and a final coat of butyrate dope to fuel proof.

I was not thrilled with the canned spray paint. Coverage was terrible. I got frustrated with the number of coats it took.

Any ideas about different primers/paint I can use after the dope/talc fill coat? I would prefer a brushable paint but I am thinking about getting an HVLP spray gun so a spray application would work too.

This plane will be gas rather than glow fuel. is fuel proofing as critical?

G8er 02-11-2012 05:43 PM

RE: Painting SIG Koverall

well, done correctly a spray can will cover the same as an airbrush/spray gun... did you just hold the can up close to the surface and press the button like nearly everyone I see use spray cans? the key is distance away from the surface to be painted and the speed at which you cover the surface. Also if you want a decent paint job your going to have to do multiple coats of paint do not try to apply 6 coats in one, it will never look good. This may or may not help you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8oOqr1gS14

WacoNut 02-12-2012 03:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I always use Dupli-Color High Fill primer after filling the weave. As far a paint goes I use latex sprayed thru a HVLP gun.

As far as painting goes it takes 3-4 coats of sprayed paint no matter what kind of paint you use.

The latex holds up well to gas but you must fuel proof it when using Nitro.
Here are a few planes that used the Dupli-Color and latex.
Anthony

TomCrump 02-12-2012 04:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I painted this Spacewalker, using quart cans of Rustoleum, sprayed through an HVLP gun. I added an automotive hardener, which seems to make the paint glow and gas proof. The paint can be thinned with acetone, or mineral spitits, making for a very cost effective paint job.

gene6029 02-12-2012 06:09 AM

GREAT tip Tom! Your models allways look like something i want to own;)....Gene

kenh3497 02-12-2012 08:16 AM

If you are painting a color like yellow or red, I would use a white primer. Dupli Color and Krylon both have white primer.

After your initial weave filling with dope, sand well to remove everything you don't need. Your should have sanded almost all the primer off. Then reapply the primer VERY lightly, Just enough to cover so you have an even surface color. Now you are ready for your color coat.

You mentioned your final coat was butyrate dope for fuel proofing. Personally, I would never use butyrate dope as a top coat on anything except butyrate or nitrate dope. My thoughts are, the butyrate dope reacted with the underlying paint. Your rattle can paint will work just fine on a gas model. There should be no issue there.

I have in fact used automotive acrylic lacquer paints on nitro models and had no issues. If I spilled fuel I just made sure to wipe it off right away. The oil did not affect the paint.

After the lacquer paint has dried for a coupe of days, or even the next day a little rubbing compound will bring up a nice shine. A little wax to follow after a couple of weeks and you should have a very nice paint job. Remember a good paint job starts at the base material. A crappy job there will translate right up to the top layer.

Good luck on your project!!

Ken

EDIT: Read the spray can. It it has acetone in it, you have a lacquer paint. It there is mineral spirits, you have a enamel paint. Lacquer can never be applied over enamel. I think you knew this already but I thought I would throw it out there for those who don't.

Chip_Mull 02-12-2012 10:45 AM

http://www.stits.com

blackdog1961 02-12-2012 04:49 PM

I started and ended the spray pass off the work. I put 6+ coats on with the yellow and it never really covered. THe navy blue did.

Tom, what primer did you use before the rust oleum?

Thnanks for the help guys the examples are beautiful.

WacoNut 02-12-2012 05:07 PM

Yellow is a &!*@# to get to cover.
You are better off with a white or silver base coat or you will never get the yellow to cover very well.
Later!!
Anthony

Chip_Mull 02-12-2012 06:02 PM

Don't use silver, only use a white undercoat for all yellows. It's the only way to achieve the true shade you're after.

TomCrump 02-13-2012 04:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: gene6029

GREAT tip Tom! Your models allways look like something i want to own;)....Gene
Thanks ! I appreciate your comment.

Blackdog: I have been using PPG automotive primer, but Duplocolor aerosol would work well, too. I don't usually prime open bay surfaces, priming only over sheeted areas.

This Cessna 195 is completely sheeted. It was glassed in Z-poxy and 1/2 oz cloth. The model was primed in PPG, and sprayed with Rustoleum and the hardener.