RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig Ryan STA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11208903-sig-ryan-sta.html)

born2build 12-04-2017 10:01 PM

I see this thread is hanging by a ...? I have owned the Sig Ryan kit for over 30 years. After reading this thread, I think it's high time I took a whack at it. I'll need to find a prototype I like first, along with the necessary documentation. As soon as I finish the Dumas Stinson Voyager park flyer I just started, the Ryan will finally get her turn on the bench. Wish me luck, fellas. I'm gonna need it!

P.S. It's a shame Vincent's Ryan hasn't flown. But, then again, at over 13 pounds, it's probably just as well. Beautiful work, though!

VincentJ 12-05-2017 02:57 AM

Good luck with your Ryan ! If you take your time it will come out just fine. I'm sure that my Ryan would fly well even at its given weight. I do enjoy looking at it every day where I have it displayed in my home, it motivates and inspires every time I look at it, that's good enough for me...

born2build 12-05-2017 11:02 PM

Thanks, Vincent. After all these years, this will be my attempt at a true scale model. I can't think of a better subject or kit to try my hand at something beyond sport scale, especially with your thread as a guide. You've given me many great ideas for my own Ryan.
Thank you for that!
I'm sure your Ryan would fly well. I'm more concerned about wing loading than I am about power loading.
I'll poke my head in from time to time with progress reports and maybe a few photos. Cheers!

abusleme 04-25-2020 07:51 PM

Hi, Vincent

Great thread, congratulations! I recently bought the same NIB kit and now I've started the assembly. Sadly I didn't notice this error in the plans. Now I have both complete fuselage sides that I won't be able to bend... I'll have to push the firewall backwards. As for the bend behind the wings, I'll probably have to cut a vertical notch in the inside and dampen the outside to achieve the required bend angle. Build log will be in RCgroups but I'm not very active at writing.

Cheers,

- Angel

Originally Posted by VincentJ (Post 11210728)
Today I decided to actually start to cut some balsa! I decided to start with the left and right fuselage sides which are made up of a framework of 1/4" square stock which is sandwiched betweena 1/4" thick cresent shaped outside balsa sheet and 1/16" plywood doubler for the inside.There is also a 1/4" front fill-in piece which will ultimately be secured to the firewall. This is where I would like to focus your attention to (Pencil A in photo).Instructions will have you glue up this whole assembly flat on the building table, when in fact the plans clearly show that they are angled in toward each other. This seemed odd to me so I studied the plans some more and still came up with the conclusion that the instructions must be wrong. Reading well ahead the mystery was then revealed...After the fuse side is assembled you are to then take the firewall and<u>bend</u> the front fill-in piecesso that both sides can be epoxied in place to the firewall. Now far be it for me to criticize but my gut is telling me that this is not going to bend but crack and break! I would highly recommed that these pieces be glued up inthe shape that is shown on the plans and not bent. I did neither as you should be able to see in the photos that by moving the firewall back I was able to keep these fill-in pieces flat and far enough away from the inside of the cowlmaking this area much more secure.</p>

do335a 04-26-2020 08:57 AM

Ryan STA nose section

There is a very easy way to solve your predicament and save your fuselage sides to boot.

Start by cutting off the nose where the pencil shows the break. Install upright framework between the upper and lower 1/4 square longerons and side to side at the top and bottom. Make a piece the shape of the tapered nose in plan view from the firewall to the cut off. You'll now have a box. Sand the cut off nose box at the rear on a flat surface for the proper angle for a perfect fit to match the remaining fuselage side. Then epoxy the modified nose in place.

With the Sig 1/4 scale Cub and clipped wing Cub, the nose tapers, even more, to the firewall. The forward section, where Vince shows the break with his pencil is built separately, as I've described.

No bending, Secure nose. Done.

You'll also find the identical method used on the Sig, and Svenson 1/6 scale Cubs, clearly shown on the Svenson plan online for a free download at Outerzone here:
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6597

If you're not certain on how to do this, get detailed instructions from the Sig 1/4 scale Cub manual, which is downloadable from the Sig website, near the lower right side of the page here: https://sigmfg.com/collections/sig-k...p-wing-cub-kit

I've built two of the 1/6 Cubs and one of the 1/4 scale Cubs this way with no weakness or failures.

PopeyeCharlotte 02-16-2021 11:57 AM

Hi All,

Hope this thread is still being seen? Awesome build and documentation by VincentJ; I am watching his Bonanza build with great interest!

I am looking at buying a Sig Ryan kit. As the kits have been out of production for a long time, most have been opened, unpacked and explored, and have changed hands a few times. I suspect there will be missing components.

What parts are "unobtainium"? What parts must be in the box before buying; parts I can't get anymore? (I see the wheel pants and cowl are available, at good quality.)

I am not worried about frayed documentation (needs to be readable), or the fact that someone may be turning a profit on an estate sale - good for them. However, the kits are a lot of coin, and I want to get something that can be completed.

(Feel free to ping me if you have a kit for sale!)

Thanks!
Mike

jlrskymaster 02-18-2021 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by PopeyeCharlotte (Post 12663962)
Hi All,

Hope this thread is still being seen? Awesome build and documentation by VincentJ; I am watching his Bonanza build with great interest!

I am looking at buying a Sig Ryan kit. As the kits have been out of production for a long time, most have been opened, unpacked and explored, and have changed hands a few times. I suspect there will be missing components.

What parts are "unobtainium"? What parts must be in the box before buying; parts I can't get anymore? (I see the wheel pants and cowl are available, at good quality.)

I am not worried about frayed documentation (needs to be readable), or the fact that someone may be turning a profit on an estate sale - good for them. However, the kits are a lot of coin, and I want to get something that can be completed.

(Feel free to ping me if you have a kit for sale!)

Thanks!
Mike

I am not sure where to put the rep]ly text.

jlrskymaster 02-18-2021 10:21 AM

I built the SIg Ryan STA from plans & instructions only. Other than balsa and other woods, I needed a cowl (Fiberglass Specialties) and landing gear (bent my own wire).
I cut all the wood parts myself with a bandsaw, the then final shaping.
You have then made a "short kit" , and then assembled you have an ARC model.
Lot's of work.
If you want to go through all that , let me know.
Thanks

FlyerInOKC 05-24-2022 07:06 AM

Anyone building an STA at the moment? I'm still working on my Ryan SC-W project with the STA kit and the Navion project patiently waiting. Just for future reference the plans are available here: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=11780

GameEngineer 05-24-2022 03:44 PM

Was thinking about building one. I am looking for a kit at the moment. They get snatched up fast when they show up in auctions. :rolleyes:

FlyerInOKC 05-24-2022 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by GameEngineer (Post 12729041)
Was thinking about building one. I am looking for a kit at the moment. They get snatched up fast when they show up in auctions. :rolleyes:

Try this one: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Special-Kit%21

GameEngineer 05-24-2022 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC (Post 12729054)

I did see that one and I PM'd them earlier today. They included an image of a different kit. :) I want to see more images first.

FlyerInOKC 05-25-2022 04:23 AM

Hey Steve, are you going to use the plastic in the kit or order fiberglass replacements? I already purchased and plan on using the Fiberglass Specialties cowl and pants.

GameEngineer 05-28-2022 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC (Post 12729086)
Hey Steve, are you going to use the plastic in the kit or order fiberglass replacements? I already purchased and plan on using the Fiberglass Specialties cowl and pants.

Fiberglass for the cowl but am up in the air on the pants.
Frankly I haven't bought the Ryan kit yet. I have a chance to buy the Sig Spacewalker II 1/4 scale. I can't decide which plane to buy but am definitely leaning toward the Spacewalker. (...he says in a Sig Ryan build thread.. :rolleyes:)