RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   It's Building Season, Whats on your bench? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11297313-its-building-season-whats-your-bench.html)

abozzie 02-02-2013 05:23 PM

RE: It's Building Season, Whats on your bench?

1 Attachment(s)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Merrill

Just finished this. I noticed someone else doing an A-7.

This is Rich Uravitch's design. It was in the January 1995 MAN. Has removable landing gear, which I may use on paved runways, otherwise on grass, it may need a hand-launch.

E-Flite Power 32 in the nose.

Will use a 3 or 4 cell Lipo, thinking around 3000 mah

11x7 prop.

She should be quite fast!

Nice looking Corsair II. Had the House of Balsa version with an OS .28 heli engine and it flew like it was on rails when the speed was up but could be a handful if you stalled it. Mine eventually suffered a flame out and wasn't able to make it back to the field...the tail still decorates the work bench area though.

stevegauth30 02-03-2013 05:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, so far this winter I built a 60 sized Davey Systems Stampe SV4 in cream and blue solar tex. A Flyline models Great Lakes Trainer in orange, a SIG 1/6 scale cub, and now I'm building a Little Angle from Model Airplane World Jan 2013. If winter persists and I have time, I will finally get started on my Carl Goldberg BU 133, Bucker Jungmeister. It will be a busy spring with all kinds of maiden flights.

VincentJ 02-03-2013 08:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Five months into my vintage Sig Ryan STA build. Just recently finished up with installing rivets for scale effect.

goirish 02-03-2013 09:04 AM

VJ What a great job. What did you do to get the rivets on, or I should say how did you do it. FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

VincentJ 02-03-2013 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks goirish. These rivets are made from aluminum soda cans. I punched them out with some 2-56 rod, larger rivetscan also be made from 4-40 rod. I ground oneend of the rod convex toduplicate the shape ofthe rivet. Each rivet is then put in placethen touchedwith the tip of a hot soldering iron.If your interested I do have a build thread and it shows in depth the process along with photos: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11..._1/key_/tm.htm .

Nergall 02-03-2013 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Well, so far this winter I built a 60 sized Davey Systems Stampe SV4 in cream and blue solar tex. A Flyline models Great Lakes Trainer in orange, a SIG 1/6 scale cub, and now I'm building a Little Angle from Model Airplane World Jan 2013. If winter persists and I have time, I will finally get started on my Carl Goldberg BU 133, Bucker Jungmeister. It will be a busy spring with all kinds of maiden flights.

If I built like that, I'd need to crash a lot more often to avoid running out of space!

stevegauth30 02-03-2013 06:20 PM

Wow those rivets look beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

acdii 11-10-2016 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's that time again, What ya buildin!

Here's one of mine

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2189606

flyboy2610 11-10-2016 05:56 PM

Building a Great Planes PT60. It's something to "re-learn" on after a 15 year hiatus from the hobby.
Having a lot of family interruptions this week so it's stalled a bit right now.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2742395

It will have a Magnum XL70 RFS 4 stroke (which I see from Tower's website has been discontinued! :( ) in the nose.Plan is to have a regular Futaba 4 channel radio with sliders for the trims. Should be flying by spring, when I plan to re-join the local club. Hopefully Baron Von Krashenbern won't claim another victim!

After that will be a Top Flite Elder 40 with a Magnum XL52 (seeing a pattern here?) 4 stroke up front. Looking forward to that build.

52larry52 11-10-2016 06:26 PM

I'am picking away at a Goldberg Anniversary Cub kit. It is being built as a PA-18 Super Cub 95 using a Fiberglass Specialties SC cowl. It is all framed up, engine mounted, fuel tank in, cowl mounted and fitted to the O.S. 46FX, wing struts built, and is almost ready to began covering. I am now fitting floats in addition to the dural gear for land flying. Today I fabricated and fitted a removable ventral fin for float flying. The finished wing is a full length but before I start covering I will also build a clipped wing ( I "scored" a NIB wing kit on Ebay a while back). With two different wings, two different landing systems, a finished cockpit with two pilots and other scale details to be added there is still a lot to do. And then there is covering....boy am I slow at covering! With two wings it will take me 2 or 3 weeks to finish that part of it. It will be Jan. or Feb. before this one sees the flying field. No rush, "I build them one stick at a time"!

Thunderbolt P47 11-15-2016 10:49 AM

Like OP I have a couple of projects lined up / in progress. Going to start a Carl Goldberg Extra 300 and planning on finishing a Top Flite P47 GE and Top Flite P51 GE 60 size kits. The warbirds are glassed and painted for the most part and just need final paint / detailing. Extra will be a full build and I will post pics as I go, in Carl Goldberg Extra 300 thread. :D

Twin_Flyer 11-15-2016 10:54 AM

While I would love to build the new Balsa USA Smoothie XL, there are too many unfinished projects i picked up waiting.

Mostly framed include a Dazzler , Top Flite Elder bipe, Nosen giant Citabria, Goldberg Extra 300 and a Goldberg Sukohi.

i think my winter is covered.

Bill S.

Thunderbolt P47 11-15-2016 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Twin_Flyer (Post 12277414)
While I would love to build the new Balsa USA Smoothie XL, there are too many unfinished projects i picked up waiting.

Mostly framed include a Dazzler , Top Flite Elder bipe, Nosen giant Citabria, Goldberg Extra 300 and a Goldberg Sukohi.

i think my winter is covered.

Bill S.

TFlyer,

Sounds like your going to be sitting around with a covering iron this winter to keep warm. :rolleyes:

Jeff

acdii 11-15-2016 01:12 PM

Work on the B-25 is progressing nicely, and now trying to figure out how to make the landing gear. Think I have a design in my head that will work using a pair of retract servos for each main. The nose gear though, that will take more thinking. I might be able to do all three for about $300 in servos and material. Going to use the Spektrum retract servos. I have a pair in my H9 P-47 and they work great.

jr-dub64 11-15-2016 01:34 PM

Hi all, Well I've been working on a Royal P-38 for awhile now. A lot of revamping so that will be a longer project that I'll be going back and forth with. And I have to cover my 60 size Extra, hopefully to fly next summer. And a few odds and ends here and there. Like to keep busy so the winter will go by faster and keep my brain from seizing up. John

Hydro Junkie 11-15-2016 07:19 PM

Do are projects have to be kit planes?

acdii 11-16-2016 11:53 AM

As long as they are planes, they can be scratch, repairs, glued together pieces of cereal boxes, etc.

Hydro Junkie 11-16-2016 06:17 PM

Only two use "tractor" props, the other five all use "pusher" props under the rear. The big difference between the first two and the rest is the rest won't fly more than a few inches off the surface, if all goes well.