RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Bridi by Bluejay Airplane Kits (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11514076-bridi-bluejay-airplane-kits.html)

coachdavis10 05-17-2013 05:21 AM

Bridi by Bluejay Airplane Kits

Are they still in business??? has anybody bought one of the kits from them??? They have several planes I would like to have, just wondering if anybody had done business with them lately....

vpresley 05-17-2013 05:24 AM

RE: Bridi by Bluejay Airplane Kits

OOPs my bad.

harlanb 05-17-2013 07:08 AM

Hi,
I bought an Utter Chaos from Bluejay in October. The service was quick and professional. The kit seems to be very close to the original.
It is a builders kit and was somewhat challenging for me as my third kit. It has been very rewording though. I am in the process of covering it now.
Thier web site is still active, I would expect them to still be in business.

Thanks<br type="_moz" />

coachdavis10 05-17-2013 07:37 AM

Thanks for the response.... I've flown a couple of the different chaos family planes and if this is your first........ You'll love it

Gray Beard 05-17-2013 08:44 AM

Blue Jay is alive and well. If they made any mods at all to the original there is an update sheet in the kit telling you about it. When I built the Dirty Birdy they showed you they updated it for retracts or tail dragger and showed you how and what. Good wood, great cutting and outstanding Bridi planes. The prices are right too!!;)

STEVEB 05-17-2013 09:03 AM

I have built 4 and am near finishing my 5th from Bluejay. ALL have been a great build and better flier. While the post-sales customer service has not been their high point I still have no hesitations on recommending them to potential kit-builders.

Steve
Arnold, MD

FlyerInOKC 05-17-2013 10:27 AM

I just looked at their website and the prices are very reasonable. I may have to add a Birdi design to my short list.

Broken Wings 05-18-2013 07:29 AM

They're excellent kits. I've built the Aircruiser 60 and the Killer Chaos 60. For the price you can't beat them. They fly Wonderful. ;)

R8893 05-18-2013 03:17 PM

Another 5 star rating from me too. Finished a Vagabond last Fall and a Dirty Birdie this Spring. Very impressed with the light wood in both these kits. DB has OS .60 FSR, tail dragger with retracts, and fully sheeted wing, glass, resin and Klass Kote paint. All up flying weight 7# 3oz. Best flying two models in my collection right now. My only "complaint" is that both came out nose heavy.;)
Chuck

coachdavis10 05-18-2013 05:53 PM

Well i'm definitely going to order then... I want the big chaos, old timer, and the larger dirty birdy.... the prices are unbelievable....

Gray Beard 05-19-2013 08:30 AM

At the time my big Kaos was just over 20 years old when I was showing off and doing full power snap rolls, a lot of them! Finally folded the wing. I shoe horned an SK .91 in my last Birdy and it died in my first mid air. My 60 size Kaos lasted so long it got recovered 5 times. It flew with so many engines of different makes and sizes I finally had to replace the fire wall. Never once have I gotten a bad flying Bridi designed plane. Last engine used in my Kaos was an OS .91fs, favorite engine was a YS 110. The DB was the better flying one but only because it was more stable in knife edge. Can't say enough good things about any of the Bridi designs.

yukonflier 05-20-2013 02:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I built the Bridi Stick recently. Construction was simple and strong, though maybe a bit heavy. All of the pre-cut parts fit well, the wood was good quality, and I found the plans complete and easy to understand. I installed a DLE 30cc, which pulls the plane very well.

KitBuilder 05-20-2013 04:46 AM

Thanks for this thread... huge builder here.. and I love the classics...
I see a .40 Chaos in my future.. and the prices are unheard of !!!!

coachdavis10 05-20-2013 07:20 AM

I'm a huge builder too... I like to build these style of planes over scale anyday... I've started two scale plans and didn't finish, but I love the older planes... I see 4-5 of this kits in my future

dmbaerry 05-20-2013 08:32 AM

I just purchased the Loadstar 40 in March..Very fast response and the Kit is great.

FlyerInOKC 05-20-2013 09:14 AM

I must admit the Birdi designs and their competitors of the day had a great look I have always loved. I will need to add a Kaos when I get done with the Golden Era projects I have on the bench. I traded for a scale warbird last year not because I wanted the airplane but because it had seven servos and a full set of Robart gear.

coachdavis10 05-20-2013 05:32 PM

Hey flyer in okc

I will be in "THE OKC" next week for the women's college world series.... Never been to oklahoma... looking forward to the trip

FlyerInOKC 05-21-2013 06:31 AM

Well good luck with the series I hope your team does well coach. There is a small but interesting flight museum in the Omniplex right over there by the Softball Hall of Fame, check it out when you get a chance. CE PAge started it, he was an early pioneer of flight and witnessed the first flight in Oklahoma. Boy did he have some good stories!

coachdavis10 05-21-2013 07:43 AM

I'm just a fan... No teams invovlved.... I coach softball in high school... I will definitely check that out while we are there.... Re ya'll anywhere near the area hit by the tornadoes.... What a nightmare that must be....

FlyerInOKC 05-21-2013 11:04 AM

I am a safe distance away. I do have two friends in that area one lost part of the roof and the other one was missed completely. Both are without power.

EscapeFlyer 05-24-2013 04:16 PM

I recently purchased a UFO from BlueJay. I am currently building a Dirty Birdy. None of the wood is lazer-burned, and the quality is 2nd to none. I am almost convinced they are using contest balsa!

I hate to cut into the wood it looks so nice, but I won't get an airplane by doing that.

It has been recently let out that BlueJay is going to release the Bridi Great Escape at the end of July and Lynn is currently taking pre-orders for it!!!

The best kit manufacturer out there! Buy lots from them so they continue making amazing airplanes!!!!! ;)

Brian

harlanb 06-27-2013 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In case you are interested I just finished my Utter Chaos 40 last week and maidened it last weekend. It flew great and was easy to land.
Build summary.
This was my 4th kit I have built. it was definitely more challenging than any of my previous builds.
I used a OS 46fx and I had to extend the nose by about 3/4in. which was very easy.
I just added a 3/8 x 3/4 (I think) stock to the bottom and cheek pieces.
I opted for the optional tail dragger configuration, and reinforced the landing gear mounts.
I also built the wing with 0 dihedral.
Other than the points listed above, I built it to plan.

It came out a little nose heavy and I had to add about 1.5 oz to the tail.
Here are a couple of pictures.

<br type="_moz" />

rtmusic 11-24-2013 02:51 PM

I am looking for a Joe Bridi Aircruiser 60 Kit. If anyone one has one they would like to part with, I'd love to buy and build. Reason is: Mine, after many years, took a nose dive, and my favorite plane was a total loss. I was practicing very slow axial rolls and I lost it in the sun, thus lost orientation, and, well, the rest is history....... literally! THANKS!!!!

EscapeFlyer 11-24-2013 06:16 PM

Anyone have a digital or printed set of plans for the Aircruiser 60?

www.bridiairplanes.com sells the kit, but they are temporarily out of stock. Truth be told, one would be best off just buying a kit from BlueJay. What an amazing business. Curious to when they will stock it again.

Brian

FlyerInOKC 11-25-2013 08:08 AM

I like the looks of Birdi's UFO but I have too many kits/projects now. Well, its out of stock so maybe by the time it comes in...