RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Butyrate Paint chart? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11544759-butyrate-paint-chart.html)

oldbassard 06-16-2013 06:34 AM

Butyrate Paint chart?

I have been looking online to find a butyrate paint chart and the most I can find is a Sig chart which seems to be basic colors, any one know of a paint chart online

carrellh 06-16-2013 07:48 AM

RE: Butyrate Paint chart?

Free color card from Randolph http://randolphaircraft.com/free.html

Paint companies often use the same name for different colors. For example, Poly-Fiber Juneau White and Randolph Juneau White DO NOT MATCH! Be sure and use the color card chips from the appropriate company to select your paint. Our chips are actual paint sprayouts and represent the actual colors. Gloss levels vary between products.

Lone Star Charles 06-16-2013 12:25 PM

Try this one - http://www.stits.com/rc_model_colors.html

Scroll to the bottom

Chip_Mull 06-16-2013 02:28 PM

If you email: [email protected] we can send both color charts (Poly Fiber and Randolph). "Carrellh" is correct in the fact that Juneau White in Poly Fiber and Randolph do not match. In fact Randolph charts from a couple of years ago may not match each other. Randolph would randomly change just some of their colors about every 3 years.

Also keep in mind that the color charts from Poly Fiber and Randolph are for several paints. Poly Fiber chart is for Poly Tone, Aerothane, and Enamel. The Randolph chart is for their Butyrate dope, Enamel, and Ranthane.

Now to confuse the issue, if you are using Poly Tone and like a particular Butyrate color like Cadillac Red for example, just let us know and we can mix the Butyrate color in Poly Tone and visa versa.

Zor 06-16-2013 05:18 PM

Just a few comments _ _ _

The colors we see on our computer monitors is not necessarily the actual color of the finished paint or dope on a model.

Some paint or dope suppliers have electronic color read out and can mix any shade (hue) detected.
I got my latest dope from Leaven's Brothers who have such facility and keep track of your colors composition as a customer. The same hue can be matched later if you need more of the same color shade.

The color we see when first opening the can or container does not usually look like the color we choosed but it will come darn close after application and cure.

While aircraft dope will keep on tightening apparently forever it also keep gaining lustre as time goes by.

Dope does not produce individual layers like some paints do. Example: if a car was painted a specific color and later was painted a different color and the top color gets to chip we can then see the original color still underneath. We do not see that with dope. Additional dope layers fuse into the original and white dope should always be the original color.

White dope can be mixed with any other given color to produce any light shade color.

As was often mentioned never apply nitrate dope over butyrate. Always use butyrate over nitrate.
While some supplier have colored nitrate dope it is recommended to use clear nitrate and apply colored butyrate over it.

Dope can be brushed without leaving brush marks when properly applied. If brush marks become apparent because of improper method of application it is easy to make these brush marks disappear.

That is it for now.

Zor

ARUP 06-17-2013 03:58 AM

Give Brodak.com a looksee! Nice products at a fair price with excellent turnaround.

oldbassard 06-17-2013 07:35 AM

I agree that a color represented on a computer screen won't be exactly the the color you get, colors by the same manufactor will also vary in shade sometimes, but they will be close as a rule, it's helpful to me to be able to see them. At any rate as always this online club and manufactors have came through and helped me greatly,

My thanks toall

Zor 06-17-2013 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: oldbassard

I agree that a color represented on a computer screen won't be exactly the the color you get, colors by the same manufactor will also vary in shade sometimes, but they will be close as a rule, it's helpful to me to be able to see them. At any rate as always this online club and manufactors have came through and helped me greatly,

My thanks to all

oldbassard,

Are you through (finished) with your thread "Fabric covering questions" ?

Am I loosing my time posting in the thread hoping it can help you ?

Hopefull you will respond to my question.
I have not seen you return to your initiated thread.

Thanks,

Zor

oldbassard 06-18-2013 06:46 AM

Zor

Thanksyour knowlege about the subject has been enlightning andhelpful.

Zor 06-18-2013 07:42 AM

ORIGINAL: oldbassard

Zor

Thanks your knowlege about the subject has been enlightning and helpful.
oldbassard,

Thanks for responding even though you did not answer my question.

It took a long time to find pictures in over 6,000 pics that were pertinent and appropiate to your request as I could not remember if the type of work "covering and finishng" was done in 2008 or 2009 or 2010.

The work I illustrated was to evaluate a new brand name of dope in preparation for covering and finishing my Skybolt.

I am glad it was of some value to you. I am now out of this thread.

Regards from Zor