RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Lanier Giles 202 35% questions (need print too!!) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11585494-lanier-giles-202-35%25-questions-need-print-too.html)

Atlanta 60 08-22-2013 07:29 AM

Lanier Giles 202 35% question

Hi All..

I'm building a Lanier G-202...I have done some searching on this kit but have a question that I thought I'd pose to the masses...Hopefully someone who has experience with this plane will see this too!!

This is an "old technology" kit and will be heavy buy todays standards (20-23 lbs)...I will try my best to lighten it up a little but the wood is just heavier that what they use today on a comprable size plane...

I have an ExtremeFlight Yak 54 which is relativley comprable in size but weighs about 5lbs less (modern technology?)...The Yak is a "50cc" airplane and has plenty of power to spare at it weight of 16-18lbs...

So my question is what engine should I plan on using?? It "looks like a 50cc size" plane but the weight concerns me and am wondering if I need to be thinking more along the lines of an 80cc engine...The prototype apparently had a Zenoh G-62 on it which they say performed OK but not unlimited vertical or loads of spare power...

The posts I've found about this plane are all from the early/mid 2000's before today's engines were available..They talk about using BME engines and other 75-80cc class engines on it...I think todays engines are both lighter and more powerful than what was available back then...For instance isn't a DLE 55 as powerful as a G-62??

So what do you guys think?? I'm pretty sure I won't get the plane below 21 lbs based on what I've read....Should I go with an 80cc??

Thanks...

Chuck

Truckracer 08-22-2013 08:32 AM

That 35% Giles is quite a bit larger than the typical 50cc ARF produced today. I would go with a larger engine but would favor a twin for less vibration and it should easily fit in the huge cowl. I would also put the airframe on a diet to get rid of some of the excess weight. If you have a finished weight in the mid 20 Lb. range, it will fly quite well.

The Giles flies very well but it was not my favorite of the Lanier planes. I much preferred the Extra, Laser or Staudacher (sp?) all of which I still have in my hanger.

Atlanta 60 08-22-2013 09:56 AM

Thank you Truckracer!! I guess I havent got enough of it built yet (just framing the fuse) so it seemed pretty comprable to my yak when I set them side by side...

I have a Lazer kit too!! I am looiking forward to that one...I would love to have the Studacher!! I wanted that kit soooo bad when it was available but wasn't was able to afford it at the time...It's one of my favorite airplanes...

So look for a 80cc twin?? I would love a DA engine but will probably have to go with a DLE from a cost stand point...

Thanks Again for the insight..

Chuck

sensei 08-22-2013 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I built two of them back in the day, good flying airplane if you keep it light. If you work at it you can get this airplane down to around 17. 5 to 18 pounds with a DA 60cc or alike. Here is a picture of one of the two I built.

Bob
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1911579

Truckracer 08-22-2013 02:24 PM

I would probably use something like a DA100 or DLE111 but it will fly well with any of the big singles. I just prefer the smoother running of the twins for larger sized engines. Just a personal preference thing. As sensei said, it would fly with a DA60 if you can get the weight down under 20 Lbs. I wish I knew more about the DLE85 but reports are few about that engine. That might be a good choice also.

As far as lightening the airframe, you could remove a lot of foam from the wing. The fuselage has excess wood everywhere that can be trimmed away. You can remove quite a bit without sacrificing any strength.

Atlanta 60 08-22-2013 04:40 PM

Thank you guys!! Sensei, That is a beautiful plane!!

sensei 08-22-2013 06:45 PM

Thanks for the kind words and I wish you the best on your build.

Bob

Atlanta 60 08-23-2013 03:08 AM

Thanks!!

I found my blueprint!! Yay!! Now I have all the info I need and things are much more clear...:D

So I plan to honeyconb the wings/stab cores and use 1/16 contest balsa sheeting...I'm gonna use the factory alumnium gear but lighten it, it's vary beefy and heavy as is...I'll use a MK bellcrank for the elevator's and rudder pull/pull in lue of servos in the tail...

I see some areas on the fuse but I don't think I'll go too crazy as I don't wanna screw it up...:p

I'm probably going to look at that DLE 85 engine...It seems pretty new?? I read one review or message board where the guys were saying it seemed pretty sweet running on the test stand,

Thamks a lot for the info!!

Chuck

sensei 08-23-2013 03:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is some food for thought on your wing and tail feathers.

Bob

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1911848http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1911849

Truckracer 08-23-2013 07:12 AM

Nice work sensei! Did you use a router on the foam?

All of the Lanier planes retained the wing panels with a bolt into the aluminum wing tube. This let the panels rattle against the fuselage side. I prefer to eliminate the bolt into the tube and in its place, retain the wings with two bolts on each side through the fuselage sides into blind nuts installed in the wing roots. Much more secure and makes for a quieter airframe.

sensei 08-23-2013 10:04 AM

I make matching templates for each side of the surface, screw them on with course drywall screws, I then use a hot wire to cut them out one by one. Notice that the wing shuck is uncut and yet the wing core is completely lightened. I also retain my surfaces to the fuselage the way you speak of.

Bob

Truckracer 08-23-2013 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good deal about how you make the cutouts. The results look very good. My friend still has a virgin Lanier 33% Extra kit that I have considered building. I would probably try your technique if I did. I still have one of the Extras so really don't need another right now but it is a wonderful flying airplane ....even when heavy. It would be great at a lighter weight. If the attachment works, here is a photo of the Extra.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1911967

sensei 08-23-2013 06:34 PM

Very sweet looking airplane my friend and I love those colors together too.

Bob

geoardsog5 08-24-2013 01:02 AM

Atlanta - I am currently flying a Lanier G-202 35% with a Zenoah GT-80 twin. The aircraft is rock solid. Wgt. is 21 lbs. The aircraft is outdated by todays standards, but is a great IMAC trainer.

Atlanta 60 08-24-2013 05:05 PM

Thanks You guys!! WOW Sensei, Those cut outs are Awesome!!

n8rloves2fly 02-24-2014 04:14 PM

Anyone working on one of these looks like a dead thread :(

Going Balistic 12-02-2018 06:38 PM

Just found this thread which has quite old and was wondering if anyone was willing to part with their manual and plans or be willing to make a copy of the plans?

I purchased a 95% complete Lanier Giles 202 35% about 11 years ago just before I stopped flying which was to be my first step into gas.

The plane didn't have a manual or plans with it and now I need to finish the build and complete the setup. I'm not sure of CG, throws, etc..

Any help would be appreciated.

GB

speedracerntrixie 12-03-2018 05:48 PM

I was hoping someone would come forward with a manual. If memory serves me, the plans were not full size. I built one in 1999. I unfortunately do not remember where the CG was but do recall that I laid up a very light weight cowl for it and still had to put the RX battery at the stab leading edge. The 3W 70 twin that I powered it with was a bit on the heavy side though. It was a nice flying airplane. I used it for IMAC so throws were a bit tame, it is not a 3D capable airplane.

99999999 01-28-2019 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie (Post 12483390)
I was hoping someone would come forward with a manual. If memory serves me, the plans were not full size. I built one in 1999. I unfortunately do not remember where the CG was but do recall that I laid up a very light weight cowl for it and still had to put the RX battery at the stab leading edge. The 3W 70 twin that I powered it with was a bit on the heavy side though. It was a nice flying airplane. I used it for IMAC so throws were a bit tame, it is not a 3D capable airplane.

dont know when or if you will receive this message. i just came across one of these reasonable with glass parts. but no manual. did you ever find a manual and could i get copies. i will pay for a yes and be great full for even a no. tx pat!

99999999 01-28-2019 06:16 AM

hello, were WE lucky enough to find someone with a copy of a manual. then if you were would you be able to pass it on or copies that i will gladly pay for which ever way it goes. found a nice kit with glass parts too but...no manual. tx for a reply either way.

99999999 01-28-2019 06:19 AM

hi, any chance you have a manual? got kit, plans, glass parts but ............no manual. it's an old dead thread but maybe a little life still to go tx pat please give me a bump either way pics too !!

speedracerntrixie 01-29-2019 06:13 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...cf92fd135b.jpg
When I built mine I don't remember ever looking at the build manual. It was a very easy build.

Going Balistic 03-31-2019 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by 99999999 (Post 12497835)
hi, any chance you have a manual? got kit, plans, glass parts but ............no manual. it's an old dead thread but maybe a little life still to go tx pat please give me a bump either way pics too !!

I have the build manual but I'm in need of the plans.

Any chance I could get a scan of the plans?

I can get the manual scanned and email to you.

99999999 04-01-2019 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Going Balistic (Post 12514774)
I have the build manual but I'm in need of the plans.

Any chance I could get a scan of the plans?

I can get the manual scanned and email to you.

hello. i thought i had replied once but must not have made it through. i have plans they are reduced size from lanier thats how they sent. give me a call mich time 900am ish and i can shoot a pic and send to smart phone. im not sure on throws but i have manual in boxs also. glad to share. blue skys pat

Going Balistic 04-14-2019 11:49 AM

Just seeing this now 99999999 (must have had thread notifications turned off.)

I will PM you for your number.

Thanks,

Rob