RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   ~~SIG Brotherhood ~~ (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11593544-%7E%7Esig-brotherhood-%7E%7E.html)

triumphman49 11-25-2017 05:32 PM

Great looking job acdii. Had to get a new wing set for mine. Thinking a Lee 61 up front, what are your plans engine wise . . . a 4-stroke?

derek2005 11-25-2017 06:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my Hog Bipe! I plan on building the King Kobra and a Something' Extra soon as well. This hog flies awesome and is a great sport plane. I did leave the wing tips off and I extending the tail surfaces to get more rudder and elevator deflection and to look "sportier". This is one of my favorite planes to fly and the OS91 Surpass flies it nicely. Can't say enough great things about Sig kits. They fall together quickly. I like to build and wish Sig had even more kits to choose from! Especially in the scale department. I do like the clipped wing club though!

Major Crunch 11-25-2017 07:33 PM

Derek, Thats a sweet looking Hog. I like the clipped wings. I thought about doing that, but during the build I decided against it. But I really like that look tho.
Now I'm thinking of clipping the wings again...I can still do it before I cover it... I'm so torn...lol

skylark-flier 11-25-2017 08:34 PM

ACDII, that's a NICE 4*!!!!!!! Derek's got a really nice HB too - I like the extended tail.

derek2005 11-26-2017 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Major Crunch (Post 12386401)
Derek, Thats a sweet looking Hog. I like the clipped wings. I thought about doing that, but during the build I decided against it. But I really like that look tho.
Now I'm thinking of clipping the wings again...I can still do it before I cover it... I'm so torn...lol

I like the performance of the clipped wing. Rolls are quicker. I think it looks a little "toonish" with the increased tail surfaces and the shortened wings. If I did this again, I would not add length to the elevator to get the shape I wanted, I would reengineer the tail to get the shape without the added surface area. Performance is great and the rudder is great, but the HS just looks far too big. Although I only feel like this when I see pics of the plane from the rear. In real life, this plane makes me 100% happy and it is a complete joy to fly. Another fellow on RCG mentioned that removing the tips might have adverse effects regarding tip stall speed but I have seen no adverse effects. The plane still just mushes forwards if you get to stall speed. I've never experienced a tip stall except when doing aerobatics that require them. I also like that the shorter wings fit into my vehicle better! I don't think that the clipped wings change the fun level of this plane though and it is just personal preference on looks and maybe if you like to roll faster. Compared to my strictly aerobatic planes though, this still rolls "slow". It is not a 3D machine! Just a great sunday flyer!

Flight Risk 11-26-2017 11:15 AM

I clipped the wings on my 4* 120 just one bay, about 4 inches on each wing and the roll rate more than doubled, or would that be halved. It went from docile to wild. It flew happily for a couple years till I accidentally left the transmitter on low rates and couldn't pull out of an inverted loop in time. I needed just another couple feet of sky.:(

acdii 11-26-2017 11:42 AM

I did the same with mine, clipped the last bay, but also added rounded wingtips to make it unique. I have had issues with the DLE20 on it, so it doesn't have much flight time on it, but when it did, I would land so hard the gear lost it's flexibility. I replaced it, but found out the clunk moved forward in the tank during transport and got stuck there. I have to let it soak and see if it will fall back in place without having to remove it from the plane. If I do, then I will add a short piece of tubing to the clunk line to prevent it from falling forward. I have the plane strapped to the wall, nose down in the trailer, and didn't think about the clunk. Problem I always had with mine is it doesn't want to land, even setting up flaperons didn't help. It would just sit in ground effect for the longest time, and when you have limited runway, you don't have much choice but to force it down. Ok so two reasons it doesn't fly much. My go to plane is the Somethin Xtra. That plane has so many flights the wings wobble.

acdii 11-27-2017 07:59 AM

Was looking through my 1997 SIG catalog. Did you guys know that there were three pilot busts of Hazel? Looked online to see if I could find some, but none come up. Would be great if I could find one.

skylark-flier 11-27-2017 11:43 AM

Check e-bay - they've had quite a few in the past.

What I want to know is WHERE DO YOU GUYS FIND THOSE CUTE MINIONS??????????????????????????

Major Crunch 11-27-2017 03:39 PM

I found my Minion on Amazon. That place has dang near everything!

cmy6 11-27-2017 08:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Work in progress. Just putting the finishing touches on framing up an Astrohog.

FlyerInOKC 11-28-2017 07:06 AM

Looking good Jay!

skylark-flier 11-28-2017 09:19 AM

Really looking good Jay. Once she's finished I'm probably going to want to put her on the website - don't have a pic of a finished Astrohog yet.

knuckleball 11-28-2017 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by cmy6 (Post 12386860)
Work in progress. Just putting the finishing touches on framing up an Astrohog.

Very nice! Do the Astrohog and Hogbipe have anything in common?

Hydro Junkie 11-28-2017 11:35 AM

IIRC, the Hog and Hog Bipe both use the same fuse and wing design though, due to having the biplane configuration, the Bipe has a much shorter span on both wings and more total wing area

cmy6 11-28-2017 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by skylark-flier (Post 12386969)
Really looking good Jay. Once she's finished I'm probably going to want to put her on the website - don't have a pic of a finished Astrohog yet.

I will be finishing this one up by the end of December. Then I’m going to do one up in Koverall and dope then sell this one off. It just takes so much time and planning to do a dope job in Maine that you can’t get one in the Air much before Labor Day Weekend. It’s too cold to dope until late spring. So I built this one to get by. I love the color. I hate plastic film.

cmy6 11-28-2017 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by knuckleball (Post 12386985)
Very nice! Do the Astrohog and Hogbipe have anything in common?

They go together completely differently. The Hog Bipe is a laser cut kit. The fuse formers and stringers are different. The cheek cowls are different. Much wider. The vertical fin is the same. The headrest is there. I’m not sure if the horizontal stab is built up like the mono Hog. Wingspan is different as stated. 55”” vs 71. Airfoil is different

cmy6 11-28-2017 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by skylark-flier (Post 12386969)

No problem! Looking forward to it.

Captcrunch44 11-29-2017 05:58 PM

How does one get the name Major crunch?
after all i’m just a captain.

Hydro Junkie 11-29-2017 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44 (Post 12387314)
How does one get the name Major crunch?
after all i’m just a captain.

If you look at it as a rank issue, you have to remember that a Captain in the Navy and Coast Guard is a higher rank than a Major, which crosses to a Lt Commander, two ranks lower. Now, if you're thinking about the Army, Air Force or Marines, a Captain is one rank lower. So the question come to this, do you have sea water or dirt in your veins?

acdii 11-29-2017 07:05 PM

Well the one way I see it, one crashes in a major fashion, while the other does it with authority.

Captcrunch44 11-30-2017 03:45 AM

I would say I crash with authority. What say you ACDIi.
Boy i can’t wait for sig to get here. The nice weather we have had and I haven’t been able to get out once.

acdii 11-30-2017 03:16 PM

To be able to crash, rip something off the plane and yet put it right back in the air, I would say is authoritative! Soon that 4* will be ready for it's first flight, got the fuel tank and filler valve off the brown truck just a bit ago, so other than servos, I have everything i need for it.

Captcrunch44 11-30-2017 04:15 PM

That is going to be a cool plane. Are you going to post pics of finished product or you going to make me wait till next year for Sig. Ha ha. So far what i have seen its looking real good.

acdii 12-03-2017 07:53 PM

Ready for final assembly. Still have to cover the rudder, but I can do that at any time.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f4&oe=5A99BD45