RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   SkyShark rc Kit for a first build? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/11620151-skyshark-rc-kit-first-build.html)

ZMiller 07-29-2015 08:06 AM

SkyShark rc Kit for a first build?

ok so this is my first post on the site, but i am no stranger i am always reading on here. I have been flying for about 2yrs total now i have a GP ugly stick with a OS 55ax and a 1st gen hangar 9 pts mustang that i had to rebuild. I would love to build my own plane from a kit, i have no building experience. I do have experience in wood working though, i have made a few beds and displaycases, i am also a active duty Marine that works on the AV8B Harrier and the F35, i know thats not much. So i have been looking at the Skyshark RC kits and really like the FW190 or the F6F Hellcat, my real question is will that be to advanced for me or are they pretty straight forward kits. Any input or recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Zach

aymodeler 07-29-2015 03:56 PM

I have built quite a few kits, but none from SkySHark yet (I do have Skyshark FW 190 kit waiting). From what I can tell, these kits are fairly advanced kits and probably not a good first build. I would suggest something from Sig or from Stevens Aero. Both of these companies make great kits with very clear instructions. Their kits are great flyers too.

c550 07-29-2015 06:05 PM

Ive built a few of the skyshark kits. They are very good kits however some of the features of the kit may frustrate a new builder. The scale features are well engineered but they add to the building time. I would build a Sig kit just for practice-but if you really want to and a ready for the extra time things like retracts and fitting a cowl arent too bad.

Semper Fi

R8893 07-30-2015 04:41 AM

I have built the Skyshark Val and have the TBF and Me109E kits waiting. Nice kits, but build into somewhat smallish scale models with a relatively high wing loading. Flying these models would be a big jump from the models you have exp[erience with. I'm not up to date on available kits, although I don't do ARF's, but would suggest building and flying an old fashioned pattern plane like a Kaos or Dirty Birdy as a transitional step. Check if Blue jay models is still around.
Chuck

ZMiller 07-30-2015 07:24 AM

Thanks for the input i really appreciate it, i have looked at the sig models and would probably do one of those just for the fact i have a saito .82 looking for a home. And its hard to find a 50 size anything or a model that will fly well with the saito 82, i knew i should have opted for the bigger one oh well we live and learn i guess.

smithcreek 07-30-2015 04:48 PM

Sig Four Star 60 will be perfect with the Saito 82.

ZMiller 07-31-2015 03:17 PM

Well I just went and picked up the Sig 4 star 60, pretty excited to start it. I have already been reading the different build threads and have decided I want to at least add the cowling it makes it look much sleeker.

Gray Beard 08-04-2015 07:05 PM

Good choice on the 4*. Seems to me Sky Shark closed there doors several years ago and quit cutting kits. I had built a couple of them and they were really nice advanced kits. My problem with them was there small size and heavy weight for such a small plane. The price was also a stumbling block but they were very well designed and a fun build.
When I was still teaching building I started using the 4* 60 kit. Not only is it a nice kit to learn on but also one of the better planes in the air!!

w0mbat 08-06-2015 01:49 PM

Zach,

Good choice on the 4 star for your first kit. That one will give you the experience you will need in order to build one of our warbird kits. Framing the kit is no problem for a beginning builder, however, sheeting, finishing and other details require some previous experience in order to do a good, light job. Once you are proficient flying the 4 star, you shouldn't have any problem with the FW190, Val, Dauntless, or Sturmovik. They all have large wing areas and (built correctly) they fly like sport planes.

BTW: Yes, we are still making kits. We shut down kit manufacturing for a couple years while we started our retail shop, but we are back making kits again.

c550 08-06-2015 07:04 PM

I have built three of their kits, the price is a little hard to swallow but the value is there. The kits build in to good flying scale birds. I am trying to talk myself out of buying the Avenger now.

Regards,

Dave

Gray Beard 08-06-2015 07:14 PM

I built a couple of the F6Fs for customers. If they would have been for me I would have used a lot of my own wood to lighten them up but the weight problem was the LG and scale crap the customers wanted. When I wanted one for myself I was looking at the Stuka, I liked the plane and there is no retract gear to worry about. If I wanted retract I think I would use spring air or one of the new electric systems?
Nice kits but a bit advanced.

Originally Posted by c550 (Post 12081068)
I have built three of their kits, the price is a little hard to swallow but the value is there. The kits build in to good flying scale birds. I am trying to talk myself out of buying the Avenger now.

Regards,

Dave

ZMiller 08-07-2015 05:13 AM

Well i have finally gathered up all the necessary items and "upgrades" that i would like to build in. I should be able to start building this evening, a little early since i told the better looking half it was going to be a fall/winter project but she understands. One more question as for the Saito its new and needs to be broke in, from all the reading i have done it seems like personal preference whether to use a stand or just bolt it in the airframe, and do i need a tacho or is that a personal thing as well.

Gray Beard 08-07-2015 08:08 AM

Wouldn't worry about the engine until I was a bit closer to the need for it. You will need it to get the mount and tank set and the linkage butg then you have a lot more things to do. You have a lot of time to decide engine things and may want a nice clean engine to use during the build.