RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig Liberty Sport Building Manual??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/1865504-sig-liberty-sport-building-manual.html)

B1B Money Man 06-01-2004 09:43 PM

Sig Liberty Sport Building Manual???

I was able to get a great deal on a Sig Liberty Sport Biplane Kit. The only drawback is that it is missing the building manual. I suppose I can figure it out, but I would really like to get my hands on this out of production manual. Does anyone have a manual that they would be willing to sell or possibly make a copy for me? I would gladly pay you for your trouble. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks - B1B Money Man[&:]

csandt051196 06-02-2004 11:23 AM

RE: Sig Liberty Sport Building Manual???

I have a kit waiting to be built. I will dig out the manual and make a copy of it tomorrow.

Let me know where to send it.

Scott

ptmac3 06-02-2004 06:03 PM

I'm building one too! Just ordered a Saito 72 for it. Should be in tomorrow. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about a Sig kit.;)

bojangle 06-02-2004 07:48 PM

Very generous offer, Scott. One of the most rewarding aspects of this hobby is the willingness of flyers to help each other. I have been building for over 50 years, but still have need of help or advice at times.

Bob

B1B Money Man 06-02-2004 08:37 PM

:D Scott - Thanks for saving the day. I have sent you an email with contact info. Bob was right! It really is nice to see fellow modelers help each other out when they can. Thanks again -Shaun

MyWay 06-02-2004 09:09 PM

The sig liberty sport is a fine plane. Ive built 3 of them. Thought I would point out its one weak point so you will know. It has ailerons on the lower wings only. Even with a lot of throw it is sluggish. I added ailerons to the top wing and that took care of the problem.

GeraldO 06-03-2004 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm just about done building mine. It's going to be electric powered. I've got tons of construction photos; let me know if you need any help or tips. Here's a few photos, one in the bones and a couple recent shots:

MyWay 06-03-2004 01:56 PM

Be careful when you try to make the plane roll. Its really a slow roller.

laryboy 06-03-2004 09:55 PM

is this kit in production ?

GeraldO 06-04-2004 02:46 PM

It's been out of production for a few years now but you can still find kits for sale now and then. Usually there will be one on ebay every couple weeks or so.

csandt051196 06-06-2004 08:37 PM

How many copies do I need to make? I will have the instruction book at work tomorow ready to make the copies. Does any one want the pictures of the actual plane copied? They would be used to scale it out and may not turn out so well, but we will have to see.

Thanks
Scott

B1B Money Man 06-06-2004 10:21 PM

Scott,
I only need the one copy for myself. Pictures are not necessary but may be helpful. Once again, thanks for all of your help! - Shaun

bhady 02-15-2006 03:26 PM

My wife bought a Liberty Sport for me for Christmas from a friend who never flew it. The plane has been completely built and has an OS 70 in the nose. My question is, where should the balance point be, or at least a starting point since I don't have the plans (the builder can't locate them either). I would hate to take a guess and end up rekitting a great looking plane. Thanks for any infor you can provide.

B. Hady

Beechbum 02-15-2006 07:51 PM

Hello, My plans show 4 3/8" back from the upper wing leading edge ( I measured it three times). This was on the fuse profile view, and I believe it should be the wing center. The aft upper wing bolt is shown as a shade over 3/8 " behind the indicated CG, probably closer to 7/16 " away from the CG. Hope this helps.

Regards...

jla 07-26-2006 08:20 AM

I have a partially built Sig Liberty Sport but no plan or manual with it. Would anyone be willing to part with their plan or copy it or loan it? The portion that is constructed is pretty rough and needs some reconstruction. I would like to haave the plan and manual before digging too far into it.
Jerry

Stickbuilder 07-30-2006 04:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I built one a while back, but I can't find the plan, or the manual (a couple of long distance moves takes care of that) The full scale plane did not have a fast roll rate either.

Bill, AMA 4720

aenigma 08-01-2006 03:56 AM

What a coincidence, I just got one of these planes.I got it for 50 dollars built from our local hobby shop(no motor or electronics) but it had fell from the ceiling where it was hanging and it put a bunch of holes in the wing and broke it and a little bit of the fuselage where the wing mounts.Even with the ugly patches(couldnt find the right color of dope) I still love the looks of this plane.And it definately does have a very slow roll rate.The aileron linkages inside the wing being sloppy and not having much throw on mine doesn't help matters at all.I did one roll, I didn't want to try another!

This thing is built like a tank, I was actually suprised to see it come off the ground with the Saito fa-80 I orignally had on it.I took it out to the field with wind gusts of 30mph just to try to get the motor running as good as possible and do some little taxi tests maybe a small hop and possibly try to fly it if the wind died down.But I figured it would fly like a brick since it is heavy.I was doing a fairly high speed taxi at a bit over 1/4 throttle and the stupid thing just jumped right off the ground.That sure does get your heart pumping when you take off without wanting to!So I poured the coals to it and spent what seemed like 5 minutes trying to use my left hand to trim the ailerons while keeping my eyes on the plane!I do this all the time and usually have no problem, but I was a nervous wreck so I just couldnt get it.

I have a Saito 100 on it now and it is a nice choice for this plane, it is more than enough power.Which is just what I want.And you definately want to land this one with some power on.It loses speed fast being a bi-plane and a fairly heavy one at that.
Some problems I am having are noseovers being very easy when taking off and even when I taxi.I have to keep full back elevator to prevent it.Apperantly the landing gear are mounted a little too far back, so I will have to remount them.I also have to move my elevator servo control horn quite a few teeth, I have alot more down than up, it makes for an interesting ride. ;)

Now one of the real problems I am having is figuring out a good guide wire set up.The first flight we just used nylon string just to get it ready to fly.Now we have some turnbuckles and wire and tonight when I was just running up the engine for about a minute caused one of them to fall off so I ended up supergluing all the nuts on them to keep them from turning free and also taping them just to err on the safe side.Also the on both sides of the wings the 2 wires going from the top to bottom wing rub against each other so I put tape between them because I don't want any radio interference.So I am still trying to figure out a good way to prevent them from rubbing without making it ugly by using tape between the wires.

The biggest problem is that the wings are sitting cockeyed which doesn't help this thing fly straight at all.So I need to figure out how to get them straight when the bolt holes are already in place.My best bet is probably just loosening the bolts and measuring from wing to tail on each side until I get it straight then tightening it down and hoping it stays like that after putting the guide wires on it.Maybe I should replace the nylon bolts with metal bolts so I can get it a little tighter to keep the wing from sliding.

So there are a few things to iron out but I am in love with this plane.And it is hard to believe the darn thing was built in the 70's and it is still kicking.If only I could find the same colors of dope to recover the wings, then it would be perfect.The closest color the hobby shop had wasn't even close enough.But at least there are no holes!

I'll try to post some pictures from its first flight later, the supposed engine tuning and taxi test flight that is.[:-]

By the way I love your signature Stickbuilder.That is a very good way to put it! :D

phuffstatler 08-01-2006 05:45 AM

I've had two of these planes. First was monokote covered with a .46 engine and kind of ugly looking. second was cloth,painted and all scaled out witha .60 OS. This is THE best flying scale biplane. Period. It has no bad habits whatsoever, looks good in the air and on the ground. I couldn't have been more pleased. I only sold it to raise money for a friend to fly in the TOC (back when it was happening, around 1997.)

Finish it out and fly it, well worth the effort.

Phil

BOLTMAN 08-01-2006 07:33 AM

Guys

I scratch built a Liberty off the sig plans in my last year of school ( 17 yrs ago ). The beauty of the old sig plan is that it shows every component, makes scratch building easy. I made my own glass cowl & decals.

I used the optional extended non-scale ailerons shown on the plan driven with torque rods & recommend them. Mine was powered with an old OS 60 FSR that my father gave me, loads of power which enabled me to fly it more like a Pitts than what I have read about the full size Liberty.

I flew mine for over a year, then hung it up as the airframe was becoming too flexy & twisty due to me doing too much hi-power, hi-G flying.

The plan I built off was my fathers, I have pictures ( not digital ) of me with Dad's Liberty at the age of about 3yrs, & pictures of me with my liberty age 18!!!

You will love this bird, alot of fun

Cheers

aenigma 08-02-2006 03:31 AM

Ok here are the pictures of mine finally: http://www.ncwoutdoors.com/libertysport/
We just patched the holes in the silk span and painted it with the closest yellow the hobby shop had so it doesn't look very good, but its only temporary.We also put the new wire guides on(wire with turnbuckles instead of nylon string) and are in the process of getting them working right.So we have got a bit of work to do to get it looking right.

We are going to fly it tomorrow evening after redoing the wire guides.At first we just used the nuts on the turnbuckles and tightened them to lock it but apperantly that doesn't work well becuase one fell off after running the engine for about a minute.So we superglued them so we could fly it that night.But we used a little too much superglue on a couple of them and broke one trying to loosen it and might break another if soaking it in the acetone overnight doesn't help.And they don't just give those things away!This time we are going to get them tight and lock the nut down and run the engine for a few minutes to let the wings "settle" and then retighten the turnbuckles and put heatshrink over them.The plus side of that is not only will it stop the nut from coming loose but it will also prevent them from rubbing each other causing interference.

And the last thing we apperantly need to do is rebalance it according to the C/G listed in this thread.We heard it was supposed to be about 2 1/2" or so from the top wing and that is about what it came to without having to add weight anywhere so we just left it as is.Now I find out it is supposed to be 4 3/8".That would explain why forward elevator throws the nose down so easily.:eek:
Of course I was measuring at the wing tips and they are swept wings, I wasn't sure where I should measure.I guess I probably should measure on the inside next to the fuselage.

By the way, anybody put smoke on one of these?I am really thinking about it.

Tommygun 08-30-2006 03:52 PM

Has anyone glassed the center sections of their Liberty Sport's wings? I'm thinking 2 layers of 3/4 oz cloth over the center sheeted sections. I'm in the process of repairing both my wings as they snapped during a snap roll. BTW, I split the elevator halves on mine and drive them with 2 seperate servos, and have a mix on my radio where I can roll them independently with the ailerons. Seems to roll a bit better that way. What are you guys using for flying wire, and where does it attach? I think that was part of my problem- I omitted the wires.

pt19 flyer 09-06-2006 02:07 PM

laryboy

I have two liberty sport kits...plan to build one and would be willing to part with the other one for $100.00 plus shipping. let me know it you are interested. kit is complete with manual, plans, decals etc.

pt19 flyer
good luck and happy flying

phuffstatler 09-06-2006 06:17 PM

You got mail...

phil in georgetown

bhady 09-23-2006 03:46 PM

I received a completely built Liberty Sport as a gift. Power is an OS .70 FS. I haven't flown it yet, are the flying wires necessary? The builder didn't install them. Thanks for your input
bhady

aenigma 09-24-2006 01:51 PM

Well Tommygun just said he snapped his wings in a snap roll(pardon the pun) because he didn't have flying wires.So you probably would want to use them, unless you plan on flying it very scale, and fighting the urge to do anything crazy.Tommygun, do you mean stress cracks that didn't actually cause your plane to crash, or a complete break?

And speaking of crashing, my Liberty Sport went in a few weeks ago.I had the CG wrong, it was too tail heavy and I was flying it that way anyways because I wasn't sure if it really was or not.At first I was assuming it was nose heavy because if I pushed forward the tail would kind of pull forward real fast so I figured "oh must be nose heavy which is why the nose is dropping so quick" doh more like it is tail heavy and the weight is giving it momentum to snap forward.But anyways the CG being that way caused it to tip stall easily and I was coming in for a landing when it started drifting in toward me because it dog walks due to many different things involving a crooked rudder, warped wings and the wings being mounted sideways because the holes weren't drilled right.I thought no big deal I will just go full throttle and turn away from me and go around foor another landing, so I went full throttle turned away and pulled up a little bit and bam it tip stalled and rolled right into the ground, and no amount of opposite aileron would get it out of that.I forgot if I tried to counteract with rudder to try to get it to snap back the other way though.The funny thing is that it broke both wings and the fuselage but the prop surviced and it was full throttle into the ground.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel, the wings are back together and the chunk from the fuselage(and the landing gear which got ripped off) are all epoxied back in place.Now I just need to find the right color of paint to patch the silk span, but I can't find it.So I am kind of holding off on it for now.Plus I am a bit gun shy, I hated seeing that one go in.Such a pretty plane, and it flew pretty good for being all crooked!