RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   SIG MUSTANG 450 pylon racer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/1877011-sig-mustang-450-pylon-racer.html)

Omaha_RC_Flyer 06-06-2004 07:04 AM

SIG MUSTANG 450 pylon racer

Hello All,
I bought a Sig Mustang 450 pylon racer kit from a guy last night who was getting out of the hobby.
The box seems to be weather a bit on the outside which would lead me to think maybe it's a
1970's or early 80's kit. I bought it for one of my projects for this upcoming winter.

I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS:
Has any of you built this kit? If so, did you run into any problems? Would you Suggest making any changes to the
the kit or building process? All comments and answers are welcome.

Some things wrote on the box that might help:
Kit RC-28
Wingspan: 49 1/2"
Engine: .40 cu in.
Designed and flown by Hank Pohlmann
Foam Wing core
Molded Plastic cheek cowls, carburetor tunnel, & fuselage top.

I'll try to post pictures of the box and contents in the near future.

hattend 06-06-2004 11:39 AM

RE: SIG MUSTANG 450 pylon racer

I built one back in the early 80's completely stock. It was awesome! Be real careful on the CG placement. It is quite a handful if the CG is even a little off to the rear.

I had an OS .40FSR in mine (not a racing engine) and it was a fun sport plane that was still fast enough for me.

Don

PS: I have another one NIB...have to get to it one of these days.

Omaha_RC_Flyer 06-06-2004 09:21 PM

Hattend,
I plan on building this one for a fun sport plane. Will most likely use a .40 size engine in it. Not really interested in making it a high performance pylon racer. I looked at it a little last night, saw no cowl other than the cheeks. When you built yours was the cowl actually built around the engine out of balsa with the cheeks attached. If so, could a removable one (cowl) be made with part of the cheeks attached to it?

hattend 06-08-2004 04:41 PM

Yep, it's an all balsa fuselage up to the spinner backplate and then you attach the plastic cheeks. the fuselage is straight sided and in the nose there is no actual cowl. the cowl shape comes from rounding the wood fuse with sandpaper and putting the cheeks on.

Just cut enough off of the right cheek to clear your cylinder head and you're good to go. Plenty of cooling air is available. the right cheek is also made removeable to allow access to the engine, the left one can be permanently glued on.

Don

cknaack 06-09-2004 05:19 PM

I've got one too. Mine was partially started by someone else [>:] and had to go back a fix a few things in the fuse. The bottom of the wing at the tips are undercambered, but don't let that scare you. There is no mention of where to put the radio gear or servos.......... your on your own there. I had to put mine aside for a bit to finish a Byron P-47 Razorback. I may get back to it soon.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Omaha_RC_Flyer 06-10-2004 11:59 AM

cknaack,
Thanks for your input. I will be taking my time with this one. One of my club members (an excellent builder) may have built this plane back in the 80's. I haven't talked with him yet to find out. If he did, I'll try to talk him into helping me build this one.

Thanks,
Omaha_RC_Flyer

rick46 01-29-2011 12:23 PM

Hi guys, I have a question on the sig mustang 450 pylon racer. Planes say 2"-3" of dihedral under each wing tip, is that right. That would be 4"-6" total dihedral. thank rick