RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   citabria (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/2553623-citabria.html)

isaygen 01-18-2005 06:29 AM

citabria

I plan to build Sig's Citabria.I need some info about this plane and I want to know flying charasteristics.Building pictures can be very usefull for me .

Thanks in advance
;)

sseward 01-19-2005 12:07 AM

RE: citabria

1 Attachment(s)
I can help with the building tips, but I haven't flown mine yet. I'm looking for a pipe to keep the muffler in the cowl. Here's some finished photos, I'll post some build photos later.

Steve

GrnBrt 01-19-2005 12:23 AM

whoa, that is really sweet!!!! I have the same kit waiting to get built but SIGH, have a few ahead of it.

isaygen 01-19-2005 02:12 AM

sseward,

your plane is wonderfull,I like very much,I will be waiting your building photos.Which engine did you install ?

thanks in advance:)

sseward 01-19-2005 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't take too many build photo's, but I remember it like it was yesterday. This is definately not a modern kit. Lots of sticks. The hardest part is building up the fuselage and keeping it true. I also modified the wingtips on the kit to match the shape of the ones on the prototype.

The engine originally fitted was an OS 52-fs. I put it in my Cub and bought a new Magnum for the Citabria. It fit exactly the same. Here's some photos of the engine and a "mock-up" pipe I made to check out shapes. No one makes an adapter for the .52 four-strokes. I'm determined not to cut a hole in the cowl.

sseward 01-19-2005 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Engine mounting details.

Lightfoot 01-19-2005 10:51 PM

That is a real beauty, sseward. I hope mine turns out that well.

isaygen 01-24-2005 09:42 AM

Thanks for your replies.
I will start to build my Citabria,if you have built this kit before and have some advise,pictures I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.[&o]

N925WB 02-03-2005 04:54 PM

sseward,

That's Bob's Citabira out at W66, right? I used to hang out and fly there all the time!

Beautiful job on your Citabria. I'm getting ready to take on a Midwest Citabria soon. I hope mine looks half as good as your Sig!

BTW-Next time you're out at Warrenton, check out a guy named Rob. He's got an RV-8 under construction in his hangar there (old hangars).

-Wayne

sseward 02-03-2005 05:34 PM

Wayne,
It WAS Bob's Citabria. He recently sold it and bought a new Scout, NE927BE! It's painted exactly the same, the only obvious differnce being the scout has no wheel pants and a little bigger span. I told him I wasn't going to redo it! 925BE now resides somewhere in the Midwest.

Steve

sseward 02-03-2005 05:35 PM

I got it backwards.....the new one is 925BE.....

Steve

Prawnik 02-05-2005 11:13 AM

WARNING: I have not built or flown this kit myself, but I asked the same questions you did, and here is what I was told.

Scale Citabrias have a tendency to perform unwanted snap rolls, due to the short tail moment. This tendency can be tamed as follows:

*Keep the Center of Gravity well forward
*If you have a computer radio, set the ailerons up so that you have at least 60% upward motion, 40% downward. 70/30 is even better.
*When building, set the ailerons so that, when in "neutral", both ailerons have a few millimeters upward deflection. This creates a washout-like effect.

Once set up properly, the plane flies well. Supposedly the Citabria does not have the best ground handling, but reports vary and I don't know of any way to fix this.