RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Sig King Kobra info (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/2560423-sig-king-kobra-info.html)

submikester 01-19-2005 06:34 PM

Sig King Kobra info

Okay - about 15 years or so ago I went through a pair of Sig Kougars with a Fox 50/Tuned Pipe setup - I was young and wanted something FAST! and this was just before the Ultra Sport and the Patriot came out.

I don't want either of those.

Over the weekend an older club member who had just started flying again last year decided to bring out his '70s era Kougar because he thought he was ready to give it a shot with some help. I offered up my services and we joked about the whole building process of the thing and I admired the OS 40 FSR he had on the tap in front. He'd done the covering nearly like the box but instead of white base he chose silver and it looked great (for a near 30 year old hangar queen). I checked it over inside and out to make sure it hadn't rotted in any way and surprisingly everything looked great and air worthy so we took it up - it had a bit of a heavy left wing but other than that it flew great and looked fantastic on landing as they always do.

All in all I was very pleased with this walk down memory lane and now I can't get the idea of building the big king kobra out of my head. So - encourage me with some pictures if you will.

I'm thinking of powering it with a Magnum .91 RFS (not really looking for it to be super fast - just fun) and adding some B&D pnuematic retracts as well. I also want to modify the tail a bit and bring the rudder down through the elevator so that I can cure a bit of the coupling problems knife edge flight had with my kougar.

PICTURES PLEASE!

Thanks.

tailskid 01-19-2005 09:08 PM

RE: Sig King Kobra info

I don't have any pictures, but I do remember that plane - a classic! So smoooooth and graceful - and thank you for my walk down memory lane!!!!

Jerry

i4ni 07-12-2006 11:33 AM

Hello submikester!

What is going on with your King Kobra?

regards Hans

BillS 07-12-2006 03:51 PM

I have two flying Kougars and a King Kobra. One of the Kougars is a pound overweight from the 6 major crashes that should have been total losses. Although the fuselage looks like a banana and it is over weight and very ugly it is my favorite airplane to fly. My friends make fun of me because I don’t fly my pretty airplanes. They don’t know what they are missing.

Bill

XTOL 07-12-2006 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: BillS

I have two flying Kougars and a King Kobra. One of the Kougars is a pound overweight from the 6 major crashes that should have been total losses. Although the fuselage looks like a banana and it is over weight and very ugly it is my favorite airplane to fly. My friends make fun of me because I don’t fly my pretty airplanes. They don’t know what they are missing.

Bill

Thats funny because I have (had) an old Kougar with a close to 20 year
old airframe. Its ugly and beat up. Has a cracked and patched up cowl
and loose bits of covering with lots of patches and more epoxy than
any 3 planes ought to have. And it flies great.

My friends also give me hard time about flying that old beater when
I have nicer planes I could fly. I flew the old Kougar in our club
pylon race recently and did quite well until the 4th race. A not
so nice impact with very unforgiving ground. But Im going to rebuild it.
It will be heavier and even uglier but will fly just as good.

I have a King Kobra kit on the shelf. But Im saving it for another day.
They are a bit hard to come by these days.

Mike Hammer

JimTrainor 07-12-2006 06:45 PM

I picked up a used king kobra kit.
I have no clue when I'll have time to build it... but it looks like fun.
I've got an old Irine 61 and a Weston pipe for it. I've also got an old rebuilt ST90... maybe I'll go for that.
I can't convince myself the retracts won't just be an expensvie PITA on grass, otherwise I might consider it.

maekju 07-13-2006 03:36 PM

Sure wish I had pics of my Kougar and King Kobra. My expirence wasn't ready for the Kougar and I put a 60 on it. Dump it on the first flight [:@] About a year later, I bought a King Kobra when I was in England and really did a beautiful job on it. Fox 60, tuned pipe, fourmost gapless hinges and Spring Air retracts. What a pleasure to fly. I took that plane to Cyprus and back to England and everyone who saw it fly asked, what was it, were could they get one, how much, was it hard to build, did I dip it in paint (I covered it). Come to find out I wasn't as good at aerobatics as I thought [:-]. Ended up with one totaled King Kobra [&o] Found one on EBay about a year ago gonna do it again :D

i4ni 08-19-2006 11:45 PM

Hello maekju!

What size of "Spring air" retracts do you use for the King Kobra and what tune pipe is the right one for an Fox engine?

maekju 08-22-2006 02:00 AM

i4ni,

Wow! you're really taking me back waaaay back but if I recall I had 40/60 size Spring Air's and a Mac's pipe and header. I switched to an OS 60 then back to the Fox 60. I really got a kick out of the English blokes when they saw that Kobra fly with the Fox and ask what engine I had on it. When I said Fox, they would get this strange look on their faces and say !QUOT!Fox what's a Fox!QUOT!.
I installed the retracts per the instructions with the kit (what little they had) and the instructions with the retracts. I flew off grass fields just about 100% of the time and never had any problems with the retracts at all.
For two years, that was the only plane I had flying and I flew it several times a week unfortunately, the only crash I had was "THE" crash.

i4ni 08-22-2006 11:38 AM

Hello maekju,

thank you for your answere. Are the Links to the Companys right?

Spring Air , Mac's[link]http://www.retracts.com/[/link]

[link]http://www.macspro.com/[/link]

I am sorry that your crash your Planes. This is part of the hobby. Really no pictures? That's a pity.

SoonerAce 08-23-2006 10:02 PM

I actually just finished building a Kougar,Aluminum Monokote with Flourescent Yellow,Red,Orange trim. powering it with an OS 46 AX. 11x7 APC, Hobbico Mechanical Retracts added as the kicker. Although the nose wheel was a challenge, it was worth it! I will post pics after the maiden (sorry, superstition)

Zagzoo 08-23-2006 10:09 PM

Hmmm.. I have a King Kobra on the building table atm. Covered it in UltraCoat polished chrome covering with red/white/blue thunderbird scheme, spring air retracks. Still looking for a strong motor for it, might go with the .90L from jet engineering.

i4ni 08-24-2006 10:19 AM

Hi SoonerAce & Zagzoo!

I am waiting of your pictures.

SoonerAce 08-25-2006 10:04 PM

How close are you to Aschaffenburg, Kitzigen, Werthiem, i4ni?

DT56 08-25-2006 10:12 PM

Sig lists the "King kobra" as currently available on their website for $99.99.

DT56

i4ni 08-26-2006 06:55 AM

Hi SoonerAce,

Take a look at [link=http://maps.google.de/maps?oi=eu_map&q=Ense&hl=de]google maps[/link].
For european circumstances a long way;-)

blw 08-26-2006 09:48 PM

Kitzingen and Wertheim sure brings back memories. Was stationed at Giebelstadt and flew into those towns often.

A guy at the field has a beat up Kobra. The wings are patched with scotch tape and he loves the plane.