RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   4* 60 mods. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/256538-4%2A-60-mods.html)

T. Mitchell 09-04-2002 01:22 AM

4* 60 mods.

I'm building a 4* 60 and would like to put a pitts muffler on.
Can anyone give me any ideas on mounting the engine sideways and maybe adding a cowling. I would also like to put the servo's in the rear of the fuselage.

Thanks for any response!

Troy

Nick Hudson 09-04-2002 01:40 AM

4* 60 mods.

Troy as you can see I have built a few of these and cant think of a reason you cant pit a cowl on it although I wouldnt have an ideal of what kind. The servos in back will work but see no reason for it and you might have a hard time balancing it.

4*60 09-04-2002 05:09 AM

4* 60 mods.

With servos in the "normal" positions, mine balanced well with a YS91AC up front so with a "normal" engine and servos at the back you would need to add weight up front??

mstroh3961 09-04-2002 09:22 PM

cowling a 4star

T. Mitchell check this link for a neet way to cowl a 4star or any other plane for that matter!

www.renderwurx.com/rc/sig4star

Regards
Mark

Ed_Moorman 09-05-2002 12:29 PM

4-Stasr Mods

I had a modified 4-Star 60 and am doing a second one. Mine was like a mock WW II fighter, a Kawasaki Tony (not very well known).

1. Mounted engine at 10 o'clock & cowled with balsa.
2. Removed 2 ribs on each side and added rounded wing tips back to original span.
3. Added 1/8 ply half ribs and grooved landing gear blocks to wing. Longer wire gear in wing to clear 14 inch prop. 1/32 ply/balsa laminated gear doors.
4. Added rounded tips to vertical & horizontal tail.
5. Reshaped canopy, added WW II pilot.
6. Elevator servo in rear. New plane has both elevator & rudder servos in rear.
7. Monokote in WW II Japanese color scheme
8. OS .91FX power. Also tried a Thunder Tiger .61, but the .91, at the same weight in much better.
Excellent vertical, very slow landing speed.

E-mail if you'd like to see photos [email protected]

Volfy 09-05-2002 03:39 PM

Re: 4-Stasr Mods

Originally posted by Ed_Moorman
1. Mounted engine at 10 o'clock & cowled with balsa.
Ed, what's the significance of that hour? Is it some kind of seance to appease the RC Gods? :)

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Mounting the engine sideways is no big deal, though it would be much easier done with an aftermarket engine mount thhat has symmetrical mounting holes. With the supplied Sig split mounts, you have to decide either upright or sideways before you start and you'd be stock in that position as you more than likely won't be able to rotate the mounts 90 degs without having to drill new holes.

In any case, be sure to position the tank so that the centerline is level with or a little above the carb. Don't worry too much about placing the supplied "tank floor" ply piece on the "shelf". It's best to adjust it's mounting position to accomodate the ideal tank height.

Building a balsa cowling in fairly simple as well. The best suggestion I've heard in to download the GP Sportster or Ultra Sport manual and follow their instructions.

I usually like to build removable cowls, however, and it's a bit more work. I usually fiberglass the removable cowl to make it stronger while keeping the weight down.

BTW, I've heard that the Sig Miniplane cowl fits the 4*60 well. Don't know first hand though.

T. Mitchell 09-05-2002 08:25 PM

4* 60 mods.

Guys, Thanks for the reply's. Gives me some good ideas.

Troy