RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/2886581-top-flite-1-7-p-51-build.html)

Riddle4U 03-20-2008 05:59 AM

RE: Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Bull, looking good..get a little man in it and slide the canopy shut!

bull51 03-20-2008 07:17 AM

Thanks guys. I must admit, the pics dont show some of the flaws in the covering. But, considering this is only the second model I've built and covered, I'm pleased with the outcome. I just got done fuelproofing the fuse. The ailerons and flaps were glued in place last night. She could be flight ready in a few weeks.

Riddle,

I got me a little pilot. Check the Tower web site. They now have this kit in ARF. I got some good pionters in the manual to help with certain things, such as applying the flaps with robart hinges. Oh, and the pilot for the arf is almost a perfect fit in our kits! I'll try to get some more pics later.

bull

Live Wire 03-20-2008 09:56 AM

zope_pope
I think when a person goes through all the hasle to detail one as far as we want it you need a larger plane. Well it still looks good if I can just get the doors to close I am going to fly it as it is;)

Riddle4U 03-20-2008 10:28 AM

Pretty doll gon good for a second plane Bull. You've just proven we don't really need ARF's ha ha! Just think what you've learned! I take it you're having someone do the maiden for you?

bull51 03-20-2008 12:17 PM

Riddle,

No, I'm going to do the maiden. This is the second build for me, but fourth plane. I currently fly a u-can-do 3d foamy and a Tower Fun51. The fun51 ( 3rd season flying ) I figure gives me some basic flight characteristics of a low wing model. And, as we all know, the smaller planes with larger control surfaces are actually harder to fly than larger planes ( at least in my experience ). I've also had some experience flying much larger models belonging to other members of my club. Not to mention, hours of flight time on RealFlight G3. I'm pretty confident in my flying skills. If something should go wrong, it will probably be a fault with the construction. That being the case, I would not want someone else to take responsibility for crashing her.

Riddle4U 03-20-2008 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cool Bull. I read that this was your second plane, just lookin after your hard work. Sounds like ya got it handled..bet it'll fly great!

Zope-here's a couple pics if you and others don't mind. Pic quality is poor (picture of picture). It is the T-303 Crusader I got my multi in.

Live Wire 03-20-2008 06:50 PM

Bull
I hate to say it but the post I answered may be right, Off your own key board you predicted your own future:eek:

bull51 03-20-2008 09:34 PM

In that case, I predict several successful flights. Even a few successful deadstick landings. Many longs years of flying enjoyment out of her!

Riddle4U 03-21-2008 12:10 AM

Houray to that Bull! I hope you didn't take my earlier comment wrong, no wish to offend anyone.

Live Wire, I see you are a Coloradoan. I hope you find a solution with the gear. I'll post pics of my solution (for better or worse), as I wrap it up.

My saying for the week: "You live for better or worse, but when you die, its for good" (came from Photographer Alfred Steiglitz by way of the great Ansel Adams):D

bull51 03-21-2008 06:46 AM

Riddle,

Of course not, no offense taken.

Sheriff of Nottingham 03-21-2008 08:23 AM

Hello all,

Hope this may be useful onfo for you. I built the same model and fitted it out with centrury jet retracts, os 91, flaps ect. Only managed one flight before it went in and was totally destroyed. The problem appaered to be the c of g. I balanced it exactly as the manual suggested but it wasnt enough. If i was to build another, id place the c of g half inch in front of the recommended. Im currently flying a Topflite P47, century retracts, flaps ect. I took no chances and placed the c of g forward to what the manual says and its now approx 4 years old and still going strong.

I wish you every success with your plane and all the best,

Frank.

Live Wire 03-21-2008 11:14 AM

Riddle-4U
I have lived in the N.E. corner since 1943. We have club members all over the corner and Nebr. And I will be looking for the cure to this problem [:@] tires are to thick .
SMAA

zope_pope 03-25-2008 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Very True. I need a bigger mustang to do what I really want with this plane, but its a learning experience trying to fit everything in. Next project ill be a large scale scratch built seminole. Haha. Applying a lot of what I learned from this build to it.

Nice pics Riddle. Beefy twin there. How was doing the VMC demo? In the seminole, it's almost a joke. I am flying everyday around the southeast. A lot of students need to build PIC cross country time for their instrument rating, so they put me and the student in a seminole flying 8 hour days. Fun stuff! If you guys want to track me. go to www.flightaware.com and look up N80755. I am flying that somewhere for maintenance, so I am not sure what airplane I'll have after my first leg tomorrow. If i get a chance, i'll post an update. Have a good one guys!

zope_pope 03-25-2008 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You guys may get a kick out of this one. Night actual IMC (instrument meteorological conditions).

Riddle4U 03-26-2008 06:15 AM

Good pics pope! Are they going to hire me down there when I re-up my CFI?;) Zope the VMC demo is fine, that plane is a little underpowered for its size, but did well at sea level there in Daytona beach. Rate of climb single engine with feathered prop and half ball width out was only 50 to 75 fpm! If you didn't bank the exact amount into the good engine, you would get a negative climb rate.

Livewire, good luck on that. I'll post a picture after I glass the doors. I narrowed the center of the opening per scale, which puts the gear and wheel into the thickest part of the center section. For the proper gear length to get the wheel to that location, I modified the scissors to allow longer extension, and added an additional spring. I also ground the lower strut assy. for a larger robart wheel. It is still not the scale size wheel but closer. Robart didn't make a proper oleo for the mustang then (not big enough for scale tire), don't know about now. I also sleaved up the upper strut for more robust scale appearance with the scale door clevises. Pictures are posted here a few pages back I believe. -Eric

bull51 03-27-2008 03:28 PM

Ticketec,

You still with us? Any more fights? Can you tell me what spinner and prop nut adapter you used? Im using an os 120. I got a Dave Brown 4" spinner w/ large adapter and it does not fit.

Anyone else know what combo to use here?

Thanks,

bull

Live Wire 03-27-2008 07:15 PM

bull
I used Dave brown on mine , and used the long adapter. The difference might be I have a YS 120 . It might have on his web sight which to get for your engine.

bull51 03-29-2008 01:58 PM

Live Wire,

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me about how far the cap head screw threads into you adapter nut ( that sounds perverted but.... ). Mine only threads in about 1/4" or so. Not sure if this is normal. I have an e-mail in to Dave Brown, but figured if everthing is threading as intended, I'll just cut the cap head screw to the length I need.

Thanks,
bull

Live Wire 03-29-2008 11:14 PM

bull
Mine threads in about 1/2 in, it depends how thick the prop is . 1/4 in. is the least I would have , that gives you 4 threads to hold the spinner.
You know I went to DBs site and you better no what you are looking for or you can realy get messed up. A person has to have the sizes of shafts , prop thickness and the whole 9 yard or you can get the wrong parts[:@]
I have new struts and scale tires coming I will see if this will get my gear to fit properly, Hope to have it ready for maiden this opening season.
Larry

bull51 03-30-2008 06:30 PM

live wire,

Thanks for the info. If found the same thing with thier site, very difficult to navigate. So, what I did is.........I cut the cap head screw to the length I needed. I cut off about 3/8 of an inch. All seems to work well now. I get about 1/2 inch of thread and the spinner is tight. I should be flight ready in a couple of weeks. I'm almost ready to break in my os 120. Cant wait! My maiden will be recorded and posted here, for better or worse!

bull

Riddle4U 03-30-2008 06:38 PM

I look forward to great success from you Bull. Can't wait!:D

bull51 03-31-2008 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
O.K., here are some pics........getting ready for checkerboard

bull51 03-31-2008 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Checkerboard complete! About 3 1/2 hours of cutting and pasting[X(]

Live Wire 03-31-2008 08:18 PM

bull
As soon as I get my new gear I will post pc's of the changes I have made. Should be in in a couple days:eek: And man those checker board are for the birds.
Oh yes and for the exhaust headers i used the plastic that came with the kit. Drilled holes for short pipe for each cylinder CA'd the short plastic tube in for looks and painted.
Larry

bull51 04-09-2008 04:13 PM

Holy cow!

3 1/4 oz, yup thats right! 3 1/4 oz, thats what I have to add to the tail. How the heck am I going to do that? I thought these thigs came out tail heavy???? Any suggestions? I mounted the batteries as far back in the fuse as I could. I dont really want a dozen lead weights glued to the side.

Thanks,
bull