RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Midwest Super Stinker revisited. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/2916932-midwest-super-stinker-revisited.html)

bobzilla 04-26-2005 06:59 PM

Midwest Super Stinker revisited.

1 Attachment(s)
Here is couple of pics of my Midwest Super Stinker bipe. Kit was a great build and most difficult job was choosing the color/style.
I attemped to mimic the real Pitts, but some of my touches. Covered in 5 rolls of Ultracote, Black and Bright Yellow. Engine is SuperTigre ST2300
with APC 18x8 prop. Have not tach'ed but its way lots of pull. 8 servo's/ jr-9 channel rx.

Bobzilla
www.theultimategamer.net

tailskid 04-27-2005 10:23 PM

RE: Midwest Super Stinker revisited.

Ya did good.....let us know how it flys....I miss mine - had a Moki 1.8 and flew GREAT!

Jerry

halflight 04-28-2005 09:41 PM

I have been interested in this kit. How was the quality of wood, etc. What does it weigh? Let me know how it flys.

Texan 11-25-2005 12:43 AM

I'm fixing to start building a MW S-Stinker. Do you have any tips or things you would change?

Thanks

TX

FlyingPilgrim 11-25-2005 11:20 PM

Beautiful bipe! I always like the looks of this one. If it flies well, maybe I'll have to add this one to my list...

CrashBang 11-26-2005 01:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Great Looking Stinker. Building tip for whomever is in the proccess. Re work the bottom wing so that you have two dowels in the front rather than the tab. When you get used to this plane you will try to tear the wings off.:D

Texan 11-26-2005 12:03 PM

CrashBang,

Thanks for the tip. That is a great looking Super Stinker you posted. The covering job looks fantastic

TX

LSP972 11-26-2005 01:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Texan

CrashBang,

Thanks for the tip. That is a great looking Super Stinker you posted. The covering job looks fantastic

TX
Indeed it does. How about a shot of the front end? You've already gotten me interested (again; I keep waffling back and forth)) in doing this one.

Might as well drive in another nail...:D

CrashBang 11-26-2005 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pics are kind of dark but here's what I have. I've had a couple of these over the years and they are not for the faint of heart. Try to keep it as light as possible and it will be a great flier but if you get over 14.5# or 15# it will have a glide like a sack of potatoes. Mine in the pic came out to 12#12oz but it took a lot of work and every trick you can think of to come out that light. It really pays off if you can do it though.

Texan 11-26-2005 03:25 PM

CB,

I was thinking about using Sig Koverall and paint but I'm concerned the weight penality may be too great. Did you use film covering? Also, what engine are you using? How is the performance? I was planning on using a 40 to 50cc light gasser; but again... weight may be an issue. Perhaps the new Saito 220 may be a good choice for the model.

Regards,
TX

CrashBang 11-26-2005 11:48 PM

I used Monocote on mine to keep the weight down. I had a Moki 180 with Cline fuel system on it. I have sold the Moki and the Stinker has been hanging on my workshop ceiling for about two years now. I have a couple of DA-50s and toyed with the idea of putting one in this but I think it would be way overkill A gasser in the 40cc range would be better suited. This was a real brute with the Moki but even with the Cline fuel system I had problems with it going lean on me when I would really start throwing it around. After a flame out during a low level torque roll and cleaning the gear off the Pitts I got rid of the Moki, repaired and hung the plane until a better engine choice comes along.

Texan 11-27-2005 12:00 AM

I have a ZDZ 40 currently in a Dave Patrick Extra 330l that may find its way into my Super Stinker. However, the Saito 220 @ 47oz with muffler and aluminum mount could be a light and powerful way to go. I'll have to check the AUW of the ZDZ 40 for comparison.

TX

LSP972 11-27-2005 10:07 AM

I would use an OS 1.60.

Guess I better get off my arse and order one. Jim at MidWest said that once current inventory is gone, that's it.

Thanks for the pix and tips, 'Bang.

Texan 12-21-2005 12:36 AM

I just picked up a Taurus TS42 for my S-Stinker in progress. The TS42 comes with a backplate mount and the length is almost exactly the same as the Moki 1.8 shown on the plans. I hope the weight does not become a problem... I know the power will be more than enough.

By the way, I modified my S-Stinker rudder and fin to match a Pitts S1-11. It has a little more area and looks better in my opinion.

Texan 12-21-2005 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
S-Stinker in progress. Look how close the length of a TS42 is to the Moki 1.8 with backplate mount shown on the plans.

mrfliboy 12-22-2005 08:31 AM

I too have started the Super Stinker for a winter project, Using a ST 3250 for power, fuse and tail feathers completed. Pics in a few days.

Texan 12-22-2005 10:23 PM

I'd like to see some pics of your progress. Have you made any modifications to the kit?

Texan 01-11-2006 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am about finished framing my fuse. Now it's time to start on the wings. Here are some pics. with the Taurus TS42 mounted. I had to make a slight modification to the bottom of the engine mounting box to clear the muffler.

Texan 01-17-2006 01:43 AM

Well I just visited the Midwest website and noticed that the Super Stinker kit has been discontinued. I hope they have plans to re-release it as a laser cut kit in the future. One can only hope!

TX

LSP972 01-17-2006 08:59 AM

I asked about that. I was told most emphatically, nope. That kit was expensive to produce, they said.

I too jacked around and waited too long to get one; now, if we want one, we'll have to pay scalper's prices on "the bay".

Texan 01-17-2006 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Steve, I can't tell you how disappointing it is to see another fine kit discontinued. I'm sure the Super Stinker kit must have been expensive to produce. There are a lot of lite ply parts which probably dull the die cutters very quickly. Laser cutting would reduce the tooling maintenance and replacement cost as well as produce a better quality product throughout the production run. In addition, the short tooling setup time for laser cutting facilitates small production batch sizes which reduces inventory cost. I hope Midwest stays in the business of producing kits, however, they need to update their operation.

TX

By the way, here are a couple of pics of my modifications to the tail to convert the Super Stinker S11-260 to a Super Stinker S1-11b. There is a significant increase in tail area.

cstevenpeterson 01-17-2006 02:32 PM

Wow! I noticed this kit listed on Tower's website as "In Stock - Limited Quantities". I hesitated for a couple of days and finally made the online purchase. As soon as my order was placed, it went to "Discontinued". I guess I got the last one! I feel fortunate.

Steve

Texan 02-02-2006 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of my latest progress. Now I need to start working on the bottom wing.

bobzilla 02-14-2006 01:39 PM

Did you finish the stinker..Texan..it looks good framed up.
What color scheme are you doing? Hope to see some pics soon.
thanks..bobzilla

Texan 02-14-2006 02:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
bobzilla,

The short answer is no. I was making great progress but hit a time snag before finishing the bottom wing. As you know, there is still a long way from framed to finished. The color scheme I am using will be blue & yellow as seen on this example of a S1-11b Super Stinker. My goal is to have it ready to fly by the end of May.

TX