RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   A HOG BIPE BASH- (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/4222020-hog-bipe-bash.html)

damifino 04-29-2006 11:00 PM

A HOG BIPE BASH-

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd share a few pictures of my modified Sig Hog Bipe as it's going together. I'm creating a pretty good representation of a home-built biplane called the der Jager. Balsa USA kitted the der Jager several years ago and I really like the lines of the airplane. Having a der Jager 3-view printed off the net I began building about a month ago.

First I was happy to see that the general layout of the der Jager is very much like that of the Hog- long nose moment, stagger of the wings practically the same, and a long tail. I've kept all the important Hog Bipe parameters stock with the exception of moving the firewall back 3/4", because the Saito 100 is long, and moving the elevator hinge line forward 1" so it would match the der Jager.

There are many other changes in the interest of styling such as a built up cowl and foredeck, formers and stringers to round out the fuselage, and the scratch-built tail group. Other mods to be done include der Jager specific landing gear and wheel pants, custom exhaust header, dummy cylinder heads on the sides of the cowl, functional flying wires on the tail, scalloped trailing edges of the wings, relocated cabane mounting points, 'N' struts instead of the Hog's 'I' interplane struts, and more........

I'll update this as things progress...........

tuwood 04-29-2006 11:38 PM

RE: A HOG BIPE BASH-

WOW! Very impressive!

I can't wait to see the finished product. :)

Joe Ortiz 04-30-2006 08:35 AM

Awsome looking plane [X(], I'll be watching this thread.

Joe

Deadeye 04-30-2006 11:30 AM

Very nice! Can't wait to see the finished plane.

TheParrot 04-30-2006 07:23 PM

Oooooooooooooooooo a Der Jager.... Ever since I saw one of those in a magazine I've been in love with it. I'd been trying to find some plans for a .40 size one but no luck. This Hog Bipe bash is a great idea! Can't wait to see it when it's done. You are going to put the streamers on the wing tips right?

damifino 04-30-2006 09:36 PM

Had not even thought of the streamers yet, so, just for you, it'll have streamers[sm=thumbup.gif]
P.S. I even know how long the real ones were!

Oh, by the way, this thing's gonna be right at 1/4 scale. The original plane had a 20' wingspan, looks like the der Hawg, with it's scale-like wing tips, is gonna be right at 60" for the top wing.

chashint 05-02-2006 01:10 PM

Outstanding, I only dream of being so creative.

vasek 05-02-2006 02:49 PM

damifino, i'll be [sm=idea.gif] U

Vasek

damifino 05-02-2006 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks everybody! Hoping to get more done in the coming week. This week is pretty busy and this weekend is my son's 2nd birthday, got a lot of stuff to do.

I drew this by taping my paper over the 2-view drawing shown on the back of the Hog Bipe instruction manual. Mostly it is curves added where the Hog is flat or straight. This illustrates why this project is so viable. Most all the stock Hog parameters are maintained.

somegeek 06-20-2006 01:08 AM

Damn - thanks for posting the pics to share! Very nice!

'Der Hog' - LOL!

somegeek

yel914 06-20-2006 06:58 AM

Damifino, You are a truly inspiring builder:D I always thought the Hog Bipe was ugly(IMHO). Little did I know what beautiful potential this plane could have. Thanks for bringing that out. I'll follow along with all of the others, and BTW, I love the Venture 60!

Paladin049 06-20-2006 02:04 PM

I think you should add a couple of Spandaus on it!!

Sport_Pilot 06-20-2006 02:56 PM

LOL Sig should come out with some kits or ARFS of various based Hogs and Bipe Hogs. One of the most based kits out their. They could have one kit with various bash options. Call it a shreeded BBQ Hog!

chashint 07-26-2006 11:46 AM

Any updates on this plane ???

damifino 08-04-2006 08:18 PM

No progress this summer. Hope to get back to work on it very soon. Thanks for asking..

yel914 08-05-2006 06:47 AM

I don't want to seem like I'm applying pressure or anything:D, but I do find myself looking for updates everyday! Summer can be a tough time to get stuff done. Anxiously awaiting more...

chashint 08-06-2006 04:56 PM

damifino,
I just started a Hog Bipe myself and what you have shown so far is inspirational.
I have consulted a couple of guys at our club that are experienced hog pilots, it is reported that the plane will need at least 2 1/2 degrees of right thrust. Since you are building a tight fitting nose you might think about making an allowance for this if you have not already put some right thrust in yours.
Can't wait to see more pics of what you are doing with the bash.

damifino 08-06-2006 07:43 PM

Seems like daylight savings time broke my momentum. I'm also doing a little work on our boat, a 1976 Correct Craft Southwind 20. My Dad bought it new in '76 and it's always been kept inside but needed a little TLC. Sourcing wood now for a teak swim platform and having the original painted-on graphics reproduced in vinyl. After some time on the lake in August, September and October we plan on restoring the trailer and installing new carpet in the boat.

chashint- What ever the plans call out as far as right thrust goes is what mine has. Haven't read or heard that before.

Paladin049 08-07-2006 10:54 AM

I think you should put a couple of Spandaus on the front end...

damifino 08-07-2006 06:41 PM

Paladin049- Sounds good to me...I'll see what I can do about that!

Swager 08-09-2006 12:02 PM

I dont see any new photos. Hmmmmmmm.

:)

gumhead 08-09-2006 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Swager

I dont see any new photos. Hmmmmmmm.

:)

ORIGINAL: damifino

No progress this summer. Hope to get back to work on it very soon. Thanks for asking..

Tenraii 08-31-2006 03:02 PM

Hi Guys.. Scott here. I actually own a real Der Jager.... N131S In the plans it has a sheet to make replica twin spandau machine guns.. and there is a bomb slung centerline between the landing gear.

damifino 12-04-2006 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking to resume work on the "Hawg Fokker" right after Christmas. Still excited about it.

Wasn't the 'bomb' actually the smoke oil tank?

This project is nearly finished tho'. It's a GP Super Skybolt ARF that I modified into a 2-place, open cockpit version. Power is a YS 110 w/ smoke.

yel914 12-06-2006 06:58 AM

Damifino, The Skybolt looks excellent-as usual:D