RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   CG Eagle II Kit Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/5083542-cg-eagle-ii-kit-build.html)

KW_Counter 12-06-2006 05:00 PM

CG Eagle II Kit Build

Hi,
I'm getting ready to start this project in a couple of weeks.
Does this plane snap together or do I need to make sure all of the ribs are vertical and keep them that way while gluing?
Any other suggestions for this project, my first kit, would be helpful.
Thanks for the help,
KW_Counter.

bigedmustafa 12-06-2006 10:39 PM

RE: CG Eagle II Kit Build

Neither the Carl Goldberg website or the Tower Hobbies catalog has much to say about how this kit goes together. Tower's website describes it as die cut and a good first model for both building and flying. Whether or not the wing assembly is self-aligning is not indicated. Feel free to report back here after you start building and let us know what you find.

JPMacG 12-06-2006 11:35 PM

I built the Eagle 2 about 5 years ago when the company was still owned by Goldberg. It went together easily and was a good first kit. The parts are not really self aligning - as I recall I used a small drafting triangle to set the ribs vertical to the building table while I applied CA. No problem really. The Eagle 2 is a good trainer and well worth building.

I recommend you carefully read the directions where it discussed the amount of dihedral to use. As I recall there were three choices.

n8kny 12-07-2006 07:46 AM

KW,

I have also built the Eagle II. I built mine some 15 years ago and still fly it (just a few weeks ago actually). However, I made some major mods last year. I put 2 more servos in the wings for ailerons. I'm using the center wing servo now for flaps. I increased the ailerons and flaps control surface 2x. I modified the wings to the bolt on style. I made it a tail dragger and replaced the 40 Super Tigre with a 51.

I have always balanced my Eagle on the center main rib support strut running the length of the wing. The plans show this pretty clear. I've never had any issues with control. It flies great! Always has.

One thing though, I used the least amount of dihedral in my build. It was still more than enough for stable flight yet less enough you will not get bored flying it after you get experienced.

KW_Counter 12-07-2006 10:40 AM

I have an Eagle II which was my trainer. I just rebuilt it converting it to a bolt on wing with dual aileron servos.
Got so much time into it almost afraid to fly it.

This one I plan to build with minimum dihedral, dual aileron servos, flaps and floats.
I have also been considering enlarging the ailerons and elevator by 50%.
It will probably receive my OS 46 FX for power.

How do you have 1 servo control 2 flaps?

Thanks for all the input,
KW_Counter

n8kny 12-07-2006 12:01 PM

Tuning fork style.

Servo _________________Flap
[________Flap

n8kny 12-07-2006 12:03 PM

Well that turned out bad! Try this!

Servo_________Flap1
[____Flap2

n8kny 12-07-2006 12:06 PM

Last time! This should work

Flap1_____________Servo
Flap2 ______]

AERORICH73 12-08-2006 05:13 AM

Hi: I have been flying my Eagle 63 since 1996. Have had to do some serious rebuilding a couple of times from crashes. The TT.42 engine still pulls it around very well, and the dihederal has not given me any flight problems at the low setting. I have been contemplating upgrading to the bolted on wing, and added flaps, but what can be expected of the crash damage between a banded on wing, and a bolted on wing? Since all of my crashes have had the wing part company from the fuse with little damage, I am concerned what the wing would look like from a copy of a previous earth impact. Anyone on this thread have some experience with crashes of both type of wing hold down methods?

Rich S.
[email protected]

gumhead 12-08-2006 05:39 AM

I built mine a couple years ago. It doesn't "snap together" but it is a pretty easy build. My son (9 years old) loves to fly it. Floats are a great addition for lake and snow flying...

http://www.gumhead.com/gumhead_pics/...mg0051_077.JPG

Lamoilleriver 12-08-2006 09:11 AM

Had an Eagle II many years ago, would recommend using as little dihedral as possible. When you get more experienced at flying it makes a great plane to experiment with. I built some skis and used it fly off the snow and ice and as someone has shown it would also be a great float plane. Also used mine to drop parachute guys and small foam gliders.

KW_Counter 12-09-2006 08:27 AM

Gumhead,
Great looking plane!!!
How did you decide where to mount the floats?
I am hoping to be able to stress the fuselage for the floats internally, during the build.
Any recommendations on floats?
Thanks,
KW_Counter

HollywoodHitman 12-27-2006 02:33 AM

Hi everyone,

Just got an Eagle 2 for xmas, and am going to be ordering an OS AX .46 for the powerplant. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

HH

WILDCRASHWILLY 12-27-2006 09:54 AM

I have an Eagle II that I train new pilots with. It's a great plane. I power with a Magnum 46XLS. The 46 is a great choice in my opinion. I also have an Eagle that has been retired that was equipped with an OS 40 bushing engine. The 40 did fly it but did not leave you room to power yourself out of trouble should you end up in a bad attitude at low level flight. Also take off rolls were a little long with the 40.

gumhead 12-27-2006 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: HollywoodHitman

Hi everyone,

Just got an Eagle 2 for xmas, and am going to be ordering an OS AX .46 for the powerplant. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

HH
An 46AX should be more then enough power. I have a 46LA on mine and it has plenty of power... Yes even with floats! High climb rate, loops, stall turns, rolls, etc, are all possible.

I don't understand why people over power trainers. This kit would fly with a 30 size motor. The point of a trainer it to teach you how to fly... Fly the wing not the engine.

jmo

KW_Counter 12-27-2006 03:35 PM

Hollywood,
My first Eagle had an OS 40 LA on it and flew well - especially for a trainer.
I had no trouble getting it off of the ground or out of trouble.
My new eagle will either get the OS 46 LA or the OS 46 FX.
More than likely the FX since I plan on putting floats on it.
Getting off of the water needs more power and those floats ain't gonna help the aerodynamics any.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter

JPMacG 12-27-2006 03:54 PM

Mine also has a 40LA. That has been very satisfactory in my experience.

One possible disadvantage of the ball bearing engines like the 46FX 46AX, TT Pro 46, Magnum 46XLS is that they are a fair amount heavier than the LA engines. The Eagle is a very docile and forgiving trainer with the 40LA. I'm not sure how it would be with the heavier engines and heavier wing loading.

BTW, The 46LA is the same weight as the 40LA and a bit more powerful.

WILDCRASHWILLY 12-28-2006 11:16 AM

Please don't misinterpret my earlier statement about the bushing 40,,, It did and still does fly the plane satisfactorily. I train at our club using the Eagle II's with a buddy box. I'll let students take the plane to the last second before a crash in order that they have every opportunity to recover on their own. However at that last possible opportunity I have found that the extra power of the 46 Ball Brg engines will snatch the plane from an untimely demise. As far as flying with the 46XLS you will never need more than 1/2 throttle and then you will be at a pretty peppy speed for the Eagle. Again, I recommend the 46 ball brg. due to shorter roll out on grass and recovery power for the instructor, but a I cannot say a 40 won't fly the plane,,, clearly it will and many including myself have had success with it.

HollywoodHitman 12-28-2006 08:27 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I actually already ordered the .46 AX with some other stuff I am going to need to get the ball rolling on construction. I figure it'll be a nice change of pace to run some bench time with the AX while I let glue set etc.

I am a beginner at this sport, I also have .50 sized heli I am messing with as well. Can you guys think of any reason I can't run my 15% Cool power with my heli AND my .46 AX? I want to keep the fuel scenario as simple as possible.

As far as the overpowering the trainer is concerned, I was thinking that if it's a great engine (from what I read it's amazing), I can use it on another aircraft down the road.

I AM planning on using a different engine mount than the configuration that CG uses in the kit, as well as drilling holes in the fuselage to support after market pushrods, as the ones that the kit comes with make me a little unsure of their durability.

Thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming!

JPMacG 12-29-2006 08:02 PM

The 15% Coolpower will be fine in the 46AX. The engine is a good choice and should work out well.

HollywoodHitman 12-30-2006 02:01 AM

Thanks JP, I will keep you guys posted on the construction.

Cheers,

HH

HollywoodHitman 01-03-2007 03:03 AM

Ok,

Have started the wings. I received my .46 AX in the mail today, looks impressive and well made.

So whats the verdict on the dihedral everyone? There are 3 choices. Is it still a nice forgiving aircraft with the least dihedral option?

Thanks,

HH

gumhead 01-03-2007 05:25 AM

Even with the least dihedral the plane is very forgiving. She'll be more acrobatic with a straighter wing too...

HollywoodHitman 01-03-2007 04:05 PM

Thanks Gumhead. Least dihedral it is. Thats an amazing float plane setup by the way.

Cheers,

HH

gumhead 01-03-2007 06:34 PM

ORIGINAL: HollywoodHitman

Thanks Gumhead. Least dihedral it is. Thats an amazing float plane setup by the way.

Thanks! Its got the wheels back on it right now, but Im hoping for some snow so we can use the floats as skis again this year...

http://www.gumhead.com/gumhead_pics/...mg0047_023.jpg

I have all sorts of planes now but I still love to fly my eagle. Its relaxing and helps kill stress.
I have some build pics on my website if you're interested...

http://www.gumhead.com/gumhead_pics/..._II/index.html