RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Top Flite Cessna 182 Skylane Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/8106178-top-flite-cessna-182-skylane-build.html)

JendaDH 02-04-2012 03:22 AM

RE: Top Flite Cessna 182 Skylane Build

Hi,

not wure if glassing the whole plane would be ok with weight. You might end up with larger engine, thus cutting up the cowl to accomodate one. I have one myself, just waiting for better weahter to take it for maiden flight. I also have the robart nose strut, but went with the reccomendations in the kit instructions. Engine is a glow two stroke 15ccm (guess that it is 0.91cu) and fits in the cowl just fine with incowl muffler that I bought with the engine.
Good luck with your build

J.<br type="_moz" />

JendaDH 02-04-2012 03:27 AM

Hi,

not wure if glassing the whole plane would be ok with weight. You might end up with larger engine, thus cutting up the cowl to accomodate one. I have one myself, just waiting for better weahter to take it for maiden flight. I also have the robart nose strut, but went with the reccomendations in the kit instructions. Engine is a glow two stroke 15ccm (guess that it is 0.91cu) and fits in the cowl just fine with incowl muffler that I bought with the engine.
Good luck with your build

J.<br type="_moz" />

sweatybetty 02-04-2012 10:55 AM

hey guys, maybe im missing something, but where in the directions are the instructions as to how the windshield is installed? im not seeing it[8D]

thanks, sb

exsailor62 02-06-2012 05:11 PM

Wheredid all the pictures go? I have a TF Cessna in the box and was hoping to see some details of this construction but, pitures have been moved or deleted. [:o]

JendaDH 02-07-2012 02:38 AM

Hi,

windshield installation is on page 50 where is the section how to install scale cockpit. Bullet 6.
J.

JendaDH 02-07-2012 02:39 AM

Hi,

I can provide you some pictufres of the build if you wish.

J.

ORIGINAL: exsailor62

Wheredid all the pictures go? I have a TF Cessna in the box and was hoping to see some details of this construction but, pitures have been moved or deleted. [:o]

FlyerInOKC 02-23-2012 08:27 AM

Any updates?

JendaDH 02-23-2012 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: FlyerInOKC

Any updates?
Busy with work, but want to finish fuselage covering and take her out on first nice spring day :-)<br type="_moz" />

FlyerInOKC 02-23-2012 02:49 PM

ORIGINAL: JendaDH

ORIGINAL: FlyerInOKC

Any updates?
Busy with work, but want to finish fuselage covering and take her out on first nice spring day :-)<br type=''_moz'' />
We are having an unusually warm winter this year. If you had it covered you could be flying the airplane at my local field, the temperature is 20 degrees Celsius!
:D

FlyerInOKC 02-23-2012 02:51 PM

The downsize we fly in up to a 40 kph wind. I soloed with a 32 kph crosswind. [:o]

OliverJacob 01-22-2013 05:51 PM

I bought an almost finished kit, there are are few things missing and I need to figure out how to build them.

I have the manual but no plans, and I shouldn't really need to buy them, the pane is almost finished.
So what I am looking for is

1. the wing struts. I don't have them and don't know where exactly they connect on the wings. The are blocks in the fuselage. Do you just use wood       screws?

2. the windows are not installed yet, On the rear window there seems to be some frame missing. Does anybody have a detailed picture? Do you glue the wind shield in? You'd have no access to the servos then.

3. where do you install your radio on/off switch?

I plan on using a Magnum 91 FS engine. Would that have enough power for scale flying and some mild tricks?

FlyerInOKC 01-22-2013 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: OliverJacob

I bought an almost finished kit, there are are few things missing and I need to figure out how to build them.

I have the manual but no plans, and I shouldn't really need to buy them, the pane is almost finished.
So what I am looking for is

1. the wing struts. I don't have them and don't know where exactly they connect on the wings. The are blocks in the fuselage. Do you just use wood screws?

2. the windows are not installed yet, On the rear window there seems to be some frame missing. Does anybody have a detailed picture? Do you glue the wind shield in? You'd have no access to the servos then.

3. where do you install your radio on/off switch?

I plan on using a Magnum 91 FS engine. Would that have enough power for scale flying and some mild tricks?

1. The strut connects to to the wing at a 1/2" X 1/2" X 1" basswood block located on the in-board side of the double wing ribs a the end of the ailerons. The block is centered between the leading edge and main spar. They mount with # 4 sheet metal screws.

2. The rear window runs up under the trailing edge of the wing and is glued to the top of the cabin sides and the top of the fuselage in the back. There is no more framing. The windshield is glued in place. Once the turtleback is installed over the tank there is no access to the tank or the servos.

3. The switch may be mounted in the rear edge of the tank floor. You will see two holes that can accommodate the switch.

4. I am using a Super Tigre .75 2 cycle but I believe the Magnum .91 FC will work fine.

Buy the plans they can't be that much and they will help if you ever need to make a repair. Top Flite can quote you they are very accommodating folks.

JendaDH 01-23-2013 10:40 AM

Hi, if you need some specific sections of plans, I can do a picture of that part for you.
I have the on/off switch mounted to the side of the fuselage so it is easily accesible without the need to remove the wing. I plan to make scale doors to hide the switch completly.

J.

OliverJacob 01-23-2013 01:39 PM

Thanks guys,

the wing struts are the main problem, but I am on the right track now :-)

The switch location is something I need to figure out now. I thought about a little door in the cowling, with access to the needle, filler and I'd mount the switch there, too. I'd need some sort of hinges and use magnets to hold it closed. Just an idea. Scale doors in the fuselage would be great, too

FlyerInOKC 01-23-2013 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: OliverJacob

Thanks guys,

the wing struts are the main problem, but I am on the right track now :-)

The switch location is something I need to figure out now. I thought about a little door in the cowling, with access to the needle, filler and I'd mount the switch there, too. I'd need some sort of hinges and use magnets to hold it closed. Just an idea. Scale doors in the fuselage would be great, too

I would have reservations about putting the switch under the cowling. The risk of heat damage would be too great. It's not worth risking a crash.

JendaDH 01-23-2013 11:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also, you want to have access to the needle all the time to be able to easily tweak the settings. Not to mention that the engine gets quite hot and vent holes are handy.
I have .91 sice two stroke (15ccm) with incowl muffler and had to cut slightly larger opening for the exhaust pipe bends. Probably not the niciest setup, but I get two so called scale exhaust pipes sticking out of the cowling :-)

Here is what it looks like withnout the cowl.

JendaDH 01-27-2013 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
<span style="font-family: Arial; ">Hi,</span><div style="font-family: Arial; "></div><div style="font-family: Arial; ">here is the picture from the plan just in case you didn't move from spot. The measurements are done by the ruler by hand, nothing precise.</div><div style="font-family: Arial; ">Hope this helps a little. The block in the fuselage can be easily located. If you are struggling also with this, I have a picture of that block location too.</div><div style="font-family: Arial; ">Good luck with the build,</div><div style="font-family: Arial; "></div><div style="font-family: Arial; ">J.</div>

OliverJacob 01-27-2013 11:34 AM

Thank you,

I did find the blocks in the wing and I was always wondering how the flaps were hinged, so thanks for the drawing.
I have been on and off building the Cessna, have 4 other planes and a helicopter to get done before the season starts...

So now I am about to install the tank and make some brackets for it to stay in place. I never mounted a tank sideways, I will find out how it works.

And I am working on the cockpit interior. I do not have the stickers for the instruments, can't find them. I was hoping to find a picture, download and print them, but haven't had any success yet.

JendaDH 01-27-2013 12:43 PM

Can't help you with the decal set as mine is already in place. Good luck with your models and happy season :-)

J.