RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   What do ya think of this? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/8981826-what-do-ya-think.html)

outdoorhunting 08-01-2009 03:52 PM

What do ya think of this?

1 Attachment(s)
Was gonna post this on another thread. It had really great instructions on how to do the 3-D flag, but couldn't find it. Sooo, I'll do it here. I know this is the "kit build" forum. I built this from plans, Dan Santich" MidWest Hots 60 size. I've flown it a few times & wasn't impressed with it's speed. (Notice the note at the bottom of post.) I started out with a Super Tigre 75 & a 12/6 prop. I know some of the problem is that I sheeted the whole wing. I just put a ST 90 in it. Will try it out the first of the week. Should I keep the 12/6 or maybe go to a 13/6. Any help will be appreciated.

RCKen 08-01-2009 03:57 PM

RE: What do ya think of this?

Excellent covering job on the Hots!!!!!

FYI- here's the thread you were looking for

<font size="2">

Applying monokote with Windex

Ken</p></font>

outdoorhunting 08-01-2009 04:03 PM

Thanks Ken. I searched for 20 minutes & couldn't find it.

gboulton 08-01-2009 04:22 PM

That's a TRICK covering job. Well done!

DavidAgar 08-01-2009 06:20 PM

Don't leave us in a fog, how did you apply the covering to obtain the effect that you have? Thanks Dave

Gray Beard 08-01-2009 06:21 PM

I fly the 60 size hots but the Midwest kit, the scratch built is a better flying plane though. I run a YS 1.10 in mine and the truth is that too much power is just about right, I have it to spare.
Outstanding flag job!! One of the better ones I have seen. I too went through a flag stage about 10 years ago but none of them came out that well. Then I read Kens how to and discovered I was doing it the hard way.
Great job on a great plane!!!!!!!!!! It cry's out for as much power as the fire wall will take!!!!!

RCKen 08-01-2009 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

Don't leave us in a fog, how did you apply the covering to obtain the effect that you have? Thanks Dave
David,
Follow the link that Iposted, it shows how to do the 3D flag effect

ORIGINAL:Gray Beard
I fly the 60 size hots but the Midwest kit, the scratch built is a better flying plane though. I fly the 60 size hots but the Midwest kit, the scratch built is a better flying plane though.
Biggest mistake Imade was selling off my Super Hots. Iregret that one at least once a week!!! Iwish Icould find a kit or the plans for one so I could rebuild it.

Ken

outdoorhunting 08-01-2009 09:16 PM

RCKen. plans for ALL the Hots models www.dansantichmodels.net It might take him a couple of days to get back to you, but he will. Heck of a nice guy. His dad is the guy that designed the "hots" for Midwest. !! Greybeard, a YS110? I thought I was crazy !! Mine built out tail heavy with the ST 75. The 90 isn't much heavier. Balance it tommorrow.

Campgems 08-01-2009 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Biggest mistake Imade was selling off my Super Hots. Iregret that one at least once a week!!! Iwish Icould find a kit or the plans for one so I could rebuild it.

Ken

Ken, when I first got back into the hobby after some 40 years, I picked up two magazines, both back issues at a LHSin San Jose. One, an RC Model World, had fulsize plans for a Ruperts Dad, which I built, rebuilt, rubilt again and then killed for good Monday. The other, Model Airplane News hadfull size plans for .15 to .40"The Hots" by Dan Santich. I've looke the plans over thinking of a 40 size and it wouldn't take much at all to scale them up. This 40 size used 3/16balsasheet for the tail fins and the rest was a few 1/8" stingers and some 1/16" sheet. The wings were about as simple as you couldget. I'll betyou could build one in three nights, and add onemorefor covering. The plans called for theconstruction article to be on Model Airplane new's web site, but I can't find it now. They do have plans for an electric one of the same size in the plans section http://www.modelairplanenews.com/Me2...D910EF7643150E

Man that is a link and a half, not sure it will work, but the plane is only just a few down on the opeing page of the plans area.

The photo of the electric one shows a lot more ailerons that the plans I have. Mine show a 1 1/4" aileron stock, and I'm guessing from the photo that they are built up ailerons around 2" at the root.

The Ruperts Dad has/had a similuar wing, 60" span with some huge control surfaces. The Fuselage was a bit more traditional though. The plans called for a 52 to 56 four stroke and it came in quite tail heavy with an O.S. 52, so I put a Magnum 70 on it and it balanced out quite well with it. Scale up the fuselage of the Hots with the Ruperts Dad wings and you would have a wild one.

Don

Gray Beard 08-01-2009 10:50 PM

I have a couple of those plans catalogs they used to print in MAN every year and all of the HOTs plans are in there. I bought the plans for either the big or giant Hots with the 92 inch wing but due to lack of funds I haven't built it yet. I will get around to it when my pockets are deep, that's a bunch of wood and covering!!!
If you build from Dans plans you end up with a better flying plane. You know I'm not one to care about a little added weight to a kit build but midweat used a lot of light ply and added a bunch of dead weight by making the removable wing and a few other mods. Mine isn't a slouch in the air but I liked the 60 size plans built better. {{ Until I had to haul it!!}}
The YS isn't a lot of over kill but you can 3-D this plane, I can't but someone else could.:D It does pull out of a hover real well!! The way I have it proped it isn't real fast either, that wing doesn't allow you to go all that fast anyway. I did have to make up taller LG for it though.
Great plane, see, I like other planes besides the Extras.:)