RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Balsa USA 1/4 Sopwith Pup build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/9378444-balsa-usa-1-4-sopwith-pup-build.html)

birm 01-01-2010 06:14 PM

Balsa USA 1/4 Sopwith Pup build

1 Attachment(s)
I Received my Christmas present a few days late and can't wait to start the build! Unfortunately my garage is in a state of transition and I won't be able to start for at least three weeks. For now I have just been studying the plans. I also laminated a couple of sheets with self adhesive laminate that you can purchase at most hardware or drug stores. If you are careful you can roll it on without creating any bubbles or wrinkles. Attached is a picture. It is totally smooth with no wrinkles or bubbles-flash reflection makes it look like there are wrinkles.

Anyway, any other folks starting or currently working on a BUSA Sopwith want to join in? Please feel free to join me in logging your build on this thread.

Happy New Year!

Tim

P.S. - You can never have too many Sopwith build threads- Right!

Tx_RcFlyer 01-01-2010 07:18 PM

RE: Balsa USA 1/4 Sopwith Pup build

Here's mine in progress. Currently waiting for a few items to come in as I am making some modifications to give it a more scale appearance. I'll be doing pull-pull elevator and rudder. I'm also adding some cockpit details which required cutting away the crutch. Also splashed some stain on the cockpit area. Covering is Fabric and dope and will be painted with latex. Not sure on color scheme but there are some nice examples of Pups assigned to training units which have some unusual paint scemes in the Windsock data files.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...p/IMGP1988.jpg

CaptainHook 01-01-2010 09:15 PM

How is the quality of the die cut parts of this kit? I've been considering ordering some of the BUSA kits, but have concerns over the age of some of the dies and the quality of the cut.

Tx_RcFlyer 01-01-2010 09:28 PM

I had no balsa parts that were crushed. However, a few plywood parts took a little effort to seperate. All in all, it's a good kit and easy to build. Just don't build two right halves for the fuselage. Don't ask me how I did this even after reading the big warning in the manual to dont do it. ;) You will need a good straight edge as the plans are a bit wavey to say the least. I also had a problem with the wing plans not being the same length. Didn't realize this until I was trying to square up the wing with the fuselage. [:@]

RCGARY 01-21-2010 05:58 PM

I completed the BUSA 1/4 scale Nieuport 11 last summer. It turned out really nice and flew perfectly. Based on my experince with the Nieuport, I just orderd the 1/4 scale Pup. I think this will be even easier to build and I understand they are great flyers. In any case, I get mine next week.

Any picutures you guys can take of your build or any advice along the way would be greatly appreciated. I will gladly do the same.

Gary.

flyer35 01-23-2010 01:37 PM

I too got a pup for Christmas and am working on lower wing.As Ted stated be careful to line up your wing halfs the plans aren't perfect. The die cuts and manual have been as good as any other kit I've done. Be careful the dihedral ply braces for top and bottom wing are different in length. So far no surprises. I have a G23 and G26 I'll wait and see what it weighs. Also take time to mark each piece they aren't labeled.

RCGARY 01-23-2010 03:47 PM

Good tips. Thanks.

I have a G26 in my Nieuport and it seems to be the perfect motor. I am planning on using the same motor in the Pup.

GaryHarris 01-23-2010 04:58 PM

I'm dialed in. This may be my next build.

thibor 01-24-2010 07:32 AM

Hey,

I have the Pup NIB, but have to finish an other project first. Hope this turns out to be a full build review with lots of pics :D

Phil

Pillzee 01-24-2010 05:12 PM

I had to go out of town for a little bit, but upon my return I noticed that my Pup arrived in the mail while I was away. My 4*60 is almost complete and then i will join in on the Pup build.

flyer35 01-25-2010 02:29 PM

I use 2 inch by 2 foot by 8 foot blue foam insulation as a building board so I can build the entire wing at once and I needed to adjust the size of the center section to keep the wing straight. No big deal so far the kit has been fun.

Pillzee 01-25-2010 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I finally finished my 4*60 so i got the pup box out today. I started cataloging the parts so I knew what everything was. I just have a question about the dihedral braces. As I was pulling everything out I noticed one pair was already punched out. I tried measuring everything to the specs listed in the manual. The upper and lower brace look like they are exactly the same piece according to the manual. Well the pieces I recieved are nowhere close to matching the 2nd pair I have for the brace. I am loading a picture so hopefully you can see what I am talking about. Is it just a descrepency in the manual or am I missing parts. Hopefully with all you pup builders out there you can point me in the right direction.

Tx_RcFlyer 01-25-2010 07:59 PM

Are those braces stacked and do you have two of each shown in the picture?

BTW, you will have to sand those braces to fit correctly. There are some vague areas in the construction process that you will need to think through. Specifically whne it comes to the sheeting around the dihedral braces.

Tx_RcFlyer 01-25-2010 08:04 PM

one more thing. Measure the braces. they look close to the same size but are different. Read thru the manual a couple of time in this area to get a better perspective on how the wings are joined to the center section.

It appears you are missing a set of the 2" wide braces based on the pictures.

Pillzee 01-25-2010 08:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Tx_RcFlyer

Are those braces stacked and do you have two of each shown in the picture?

one more thing. Measure the braces. they look close to the same size but are different.

Yes I have 2 of each shown.I just have them stacked for the picture.

I measured the braces and i will read up to see if they are the right ones. If I can't figure it out I guess I can always call Balsa USA tomorrow.

flyer35 01-26-2010 07:07 AM

There is a slight difference in length. The upper braces are a bit longer on the short end. Lay them on the center section of the upper wing plan the short end has to reach between W-3 to W-5.
There is about 1/2 inch difference on the short end.

flyer35 01-26-2010 07:13 AM

The braces are also too wide. I marked where the dihedral break is (laid it in place and marked the end of the struts) and used a plane to trim them down about an 1/8 inch or greater so the sheeting will fit.

flyer35 01-26-2010 07:25 AM

A third point, the false ribs in front of W-3 on the sheet are smaller than the other false ribs because of the sheeting that covers the W-3's. Has anyone that has completed a wing noticed that the W-1 (center section) ribs are smaller as if to accept sheeting (top wing only the bottom wing does get sheeted) I will add strips to bring them up to the leading edge after I figure out how to hold skylight in.

Pillzee 01-26-2010 10:47 AM

Let me just state that Balsa USA has awesome customer service. I am grateful that there are still companies out there that take good care of thier clientel. I called them up this morning and after not even 2 minutes of talking he realized that there was something wrong with the pieces in my kit. A brand new set are in the mail. Thanks Dave!!

frenchie79 01-26-2010 11:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Anyway, any other folks starting or currently working on a BUSA Sopwith want to join in? Please feel free to join me in logging your build on this thread.
I'm in. Looks as if the 1/4 scale has an updated manual and prints. The 1/3 scale is a 70's vintage kit and you more or less throw the manual out. Take your time, read several steps ahead and don't be in a hurry to Glue. It's a fun and challenging project. I'm 1/2 done on mine which started in November.

flygilmore 01-26-2010 12:33 PM

I'd like to have a Pup....did their DR.1 a couple years ago and it is one of my all time favs!!!! I too noticed that the plans didn't line up very well....is that an issue with all their kits? I vote for the G-26 as well....on regular mag. ign.

Pillzee 01-27-2010 09:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well my 4*60 is done so I started on the top right wing half today. So far everything is going very smoothly. I am really taking my time and measuring everything a couple of times before i cut. i think my pictures loaded backwards in the from the order of completion. But in cronological order, the first one is just where I am pining the spars down. The second is where I am squaring up the ribs so i can glue them in place. The third is where I have all of the ribs in place. And the fourth is where I have the one dihedral brace in place. I am at a stoping point now due to waiting for the correct front dihedral braces to arrive in the mail. So far all of the parts fit nicely. I had to very lightly sand some edges and help persuade some pieces out of thier framework with the exacto. But all and all I am very pleased with how well it is all going.

frenchie79 01-28-2010 10:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Interesting-The 1/4 scale has a flat airfoil bottom wing? and not under cambered wing ribs-is that correct?

Tx_RcFlyer 01-28-2010 11:44 AM

yes, the 1/4 scale version is a flat bottom wing. Makes for an easier time covering. :D :D

frenchie79 01-28-2010 12:53 PM

Boy-thats for sure Ted-haven't got to that point yet but the weight is heavy if you know what i mean. Sorry to barge in.