RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   ELECTRIC SHRIKE CONSTRUCTION (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/9487616-electric-shrike-construction.html)

juanjulian 02-08-2010 05:03 PM

ELECTRIC SHRIKE CONSTRUCTION

Since there is no more LANIER I must consider lucky to still have a shrike 0.10 kit in my shop.

This plane was bought two years ago when builders used to buy kits. I supose we are the few builders that exist since there are less kit options to buy in the market.

This plane is intended to be a trainer for a electric jet I already started construction ( TA-183 from RBC kits not the foam ones that are toys).

The equipment will be:

MEGA MOTOR 20/30/3
lipo 3S 3200 MHA BATTERY
2 STANDARD SERVOS
ESC 60 AMP ( HAVE TO BUY)

The only modification looking at the plans to make this plane electric is:
1. Moving firewall 2 inches in the front.
2. Making a battery tray in the tank and accelerator servo area.
3. Adding a bugee hook. WHY? better to learn with this one how to bunggee a plane, never done it.

Will be adding some pictures as the build starts.

Think this project will last 2 month, taking in consideration my real work, family, etc.

Cheers,

Juan

juanjulian 02-09-2010 08:46 AM

RE: ELECTRIC SHRIKE CONSTRUCTION

1 Attachment(s)
HAD A NICE BUILDING AFTERNOON AND NIGHT

The first building pictures.

Also added a file with the wing ribs as request of Ken.

happy building

Juan

juanjulian 02-09-2010 08:48 AM

UPLOADING SECOND WING RIBS PAGE

juanjulian 02-09-2010 08:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
SOMETHING HAPENED AND NO FILE HERE I TRY AGAIN

Mr67Stang 02-09-2010 10:41 AM

Thank's for the wing ribs. I printed them:D

juanjulian 02-14-2010 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had another building nighe with lots of balsa dust. Not sure why I´m always congested.

This time I build:

Battery tray
Sanded the nose round
Cut the electric screws to size
Sheeted the bottom

Thought my motor was to big, but read here they have build them with 0.46 CI glow. Feel preaty relaxed after this.

Cheers

Juan

juanjulian 03-22-2010 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More building pictures after several weeks of no activity.

Build a motor hatch for easy motor placement. Involved cutting it with a saw and then sanding and adding new wood to have a nice parting line.

Carved a ram air duct for coolling of motor.

Reinforeced the main spar with a carbon tube in the inside.

Started to build the first wing half. The dificult part was how to hold the plane in place.

vmsguy 03-23-2010 11:47 AM

I like it!

The first time I visited the local airfield, a guy had a shrike there. I could hear the whistle of the wind over the surfaces as he did high speed passes. (I could also hear the motor screaming.. tuned pipe)...

From that moment I wanted an electric shrike.. just to hear the sound.

Alas.. I never bought a kit, and are no longer available. I'll have to keep my eye out for one some day.

juanjulian 03-23-2010 03:14 PM

VMSGUY:

Never to late to scratch build one. This kit has a low parts count.

Cheers,

Juan

juanjulian 04-26-2010 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Almost done with the shrike construction.

Pending a final sanding and covering.

Added the elevator servo in the aft fuselage for battery space, and relocatedte the ailerion servo.

Added all the gear to the plane and seems that the CG is OK by just moving the battery.

This is not a light plane with this electric configuration, for sure is more than 2 pounds.

I´m hoping to get all the juice out of this motor moving a 9 or 10 inch blade with the biggest pitch the esc or motor can handle.

cheers,

Juan

juanjulian 06-26-2010 10:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Have been really lazy. No excuse for not having this plane done.

Some pictures of the covering of the model.

This weekend is the final build.

cheers.

juanjulian 07-03-2010 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished covering and installing all the gear.

Pending only maiden flight.

juanjulian 05-20-2011 10:15 AM

Never put a flying review.

This plane flies fast and was hard to land with 3s 33200 battery, so now using 3s 2200.

Did some serius crashes that the plane survived, so can tell this is a flying brick. The land moved and hit it in low aprouch, a PVC pylon got in the way and breaked the pylon with dent in a wing. Broke a tail in learnig to land and loop at the same time.

Planes now day are build so lite that any minor crash breaks them.

Cheers,

Juan

juanjulian 06-07-2011 08:16 AM

Here is flying video of teh plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKZkb...er&list=UL

</p>

juanjulian 10-01-2012 04:25 PM

This planes is still goin strong.

Change motor to a smaller one having wheight savings.

kontronic 400-36 with reduction gear 4.2/1 it seems lighter and hopefully more eficcient.

Cheers

Juan

juanjulian 10-04-2012 03:26 PM

Had a lay off yesterday and went flying.

This configuration is a blast it is fast, not so heavy using 3s 3200 and 6 min wot.

Cheers.

Juan

juanjulian 12-17-2014 04:44 PM

This plane has been my work horse for the last years.
For sure is very robust and has taken a lot of beating over the years. The last was a fail bungy ramp launch that ended diving into the ground braking nose.

The original motor was to big and over wheight(mega 20/30/3) for today standards is old school. To big for the 400 watts it gived. The komtronic motor was to slow with the 4.1 gears, and the new motor is a Turnigy l2855 2100 kv with apc 7x6.

Think that with this motor combination plane will be balistic. Had to use a lot of lead upront simce could not find a spinner that will not self destruct with 20,000 rpm.

juanjulian 12-17-2014 05:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is my first atempt into bunge launch with my trusted shrike. I use this plane for edf training.

My 4 atempt was failled due to spinning prop before plane realeased from string.
http://youtu.be/M8KShYb6UZE

foodstick 12-17-2014 09:08 PM

Thanks for updating your post on the Shrike ! I have followed this thread back since you started it... I have a 40 sized kit tucked away that will end up electric as well SOMEDAY ;)

Mustang Fever 02-08-2015 06:53 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Hey, Juan. Glad to see you're still at it. If anybody's interested, here's the plans and templates for the 40 sized Shrike.

Also, I'm looking to sell my 46AX powered Shrike. $100 + shipping if anyone's interested. RTF if you have a FAAST transmitter.

juanjulian 02-10-2015 12:30 PM

Thanks Bob for shrike 40 plans.

Should do the same with the plans of shrike 10.

My stash of kits is growing, and has shifted to EDF jets.

Cheers

Juan

juanjulian 07-28-2015 12:33 PM

My intention ins using the the motor Turnigy l2855 2100 kv i did not went to good since in 3s the motor wants to go to 20,000 rpm so can say NO to the average spinner and props. The prob adapter and prop in above pictures could not manage the high rpm. At half throtle the vibrations were terrible. Had to limit throtle curve to maiden.

The firewall was thick and there was to litle shaft for the prop adapater to grip well and this was part of the problem. Solved this by using Dremel tool and making it 1/16 thick. Glued a good quality 1/16 plywood to reinforece to make 1/8. So now motor shaft is long enough for prop adapter to grip.

So at last was able to spin a APC 6x5 with out cone only nut at max rpm with out self destructing. The nut cone had to much mass that at high rpm vibrates to auto destruction, Using only a smaller nut has no problem.

Expecting to have a very FAST FAST Shrike with this combination.

Not bad for a 15 bucks motor having the performance of the old hgh rpm expensive glow motors.

Measured 18,000 rpm with 6x5 apc e prop

Cheers

Juan

foodstick 07-28-2015 07:44 PM

Glad to see you posting on this thread again.. I want to see video of this baby flying !