RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Phaeton 90 Build Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/9709478-phaeton-90-build-thread.html)

cwhipple 05-04-2010 09:06 AM

Phaeton 90 Build Thread

This is my first attempt at building a plane in a number of years so we will see how this thread and build turn out! Just purchased my Phaeton 90 online today from Balsa USA. I know the first question I have is how ailerons have been put in top wing in past. Any pics would be helpful. More to come as kit ships tomorrow.

Carlos G 05-04-2010 10:20 AM

RE: Phaeton 90 Build Thread

Hi Cwhipple,

I too have a Phaeton 90, in the box as it were. My stumbling block right now is I would like to go with a gasoline engine but havent decided upon which one. 23 to 26 cc might be enough if the airfarme is light enough. I would like to get away from glow fuel just to make life a bit simpler. We will see what happens.

Carlos G.

cwhipple 05-04-2010 10:32 AM

I may try a CRRC-Pro 26cc. You get them for under 200. I also have a two stroke ASP 1.20.

Edwin 05-04-2010 11:02 AM

I used rods to connect the upper and lower ailerons. Modified control horns work good for the rod connections. Someplace in the middle of the aileron. A 26cc should do really nice. I flew mine with a saito 120. I also have a rcgf 20cc which has the same power as my saito 120. A small gasser should help in balancing. I had to use a fair amount of led to balance with the saito. Fiberglass specialties sells two kinds of cowls for it. One has cheeks and the other doesnt.
Edwin

cwhipple 05-04-2010 11:07 AM

I requested pics of both style cowls from Fiberglass Specialties to see the difference.

cwhipple 05-04-2010 11:40 AM

Got the pictures. Definitely going with the version having cheeks! Probably wait to order in a week or so. Anyone have a CRRC-Pro 26cc sitting around?

cwhipple 05-04-2010 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pics of both...

nitrobomber 05-04-2010 06:25 PM

I will be watching this build...almost bought one a few years back...seeing this thread has renewed my intrest.:D

cwhipple 05-04-2010 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: dragzila

I will be watching this build...almost bought one a few years back...seeing this thread has renewed my intrest.:D
Like I mentioned. I am by far a professional! Had to go out and buy some T-pins, wax paper and a ceiling tile (building board) today! Gonna try using Monster Glue for the build using their instant and long setting bases. Should be interesting all around. Found this trim scheme playing around today. Show us your Phaeton if you have one.

cwhipple 05-04-2010 06:45 PM

I will also be using my 149.00 9 channel Eurgle radio system. AirLandSeaHobbies.com Eurgle 2.4Ghz 9 Channel Digital Programmable LCD Radio Gear 149.99 shipped with 9 channel rx. I have used the radio a handful of times glitch free. Been using it with Tower Pro MG Servos to boot. I hear cheap Chinese products but have not experienced any technical issues to date. ;)

cwhipple 05-04-2010 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Work area ready to go. Just need the kit.

EscapeFlyer 05-04-2010 09:26 PM

Have you checked that table? Maybe it is just the pic, but there appears to be some bends there. Have you checked how flat it is? I'd hate to see you build a warp into your wing. Believe me, it is easy to do (...build a warp into the wing that is).

Brian

Nice shop btw!!!

cwhipple 05-04-2010 09:28 PM

lol. the table will be level! just sitting there right now!

nitrobomber 05-04-2010 09:58 PM

"Level" is not as important as being flat....without twist, or high/low areas.

cwhipple 05-04-2010 09:59 PM

that is what I meant by level.

nitrobomber 05-05-2010 05:56 AM

I once went 10 years between builds....My skills were still there (although a little rusty) but the biggest hurdle for me was all the new materials and glues. I had never used CA before ! In the 70s, you had to pin everything in elmers glue overnight. And alot of the composite materials simply were not available. Our hobby has come along way. I started building again in the 90s and it was like a whole new world...I know you will really enjoy building this kit....and btw welcome back !

Insanemoondoggie 05-05-2010 06:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking good ! If you have a Home Depot or such , close to you, pick up a damaged door blank . Most the time they have damage ones , for a couple of bucks. Heres a pick of mine , the cabenits were free rejects I picked up and the door was a $1 if I remeber right. And you'll appreciate the extra build room , building a Bipe . Looks like a door would fit perfect on your supports.
I have gathered the materials to build a second one , seems my motorcyle lift table is always full of airplane parts and peices .
Looking forward to your build, Enjoy .

cwhipple 05-05-2010 09:03 AM

Going to Lowes today. I can get a new one for 22 if they don't have any damaged. My table is perfect for a 22 or 24" blank. Thanks for the tip.

cwhipple 05-05-2010 11:17 AM

Got the door in place. Much flatter! Thanks for all the advice thus far. This plane may fly after all.;)

cwhipple 05-06-2010 03:18 PM

Plane shipped and will deliver Friday!:D Day one of build photos to follow!

whatwind 05-06-2010 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
if you go to my profile and if you can pull up about 150 post back you can find my build.if not I'll try to pass on the stuff i got. some one sent me a good artical on changing the air foil

whatwind 05-07-2010 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last week I caught a wingtip on landing and tore out the firewall repairs are almost done but here is a picture of the lead in the nose.

cwhipple 05-08-2010 07:25 PM

Started the build but will have to get some pictures. Tail section is built and I have completed the left and right fuselage halves. In the process of gluing the formers in place. The instructions leave a lot to the imagination. I think I will sheet the entire fuselage for added strength. I figure using a 20+cc gas motor will allow for a little extra sheeting. Plans do not show location for servos in wings or fuselage either. LOL... :eek: I may have bitten off more than I can chew but I will fly it...

Edwin 05-08-2010 09:56 PM

Just locate the servos in logical places. You can save weight by putting all the servos around the cg. I used pull-pull for the rudder. The wings got servos in the bottom wings and connecting rods from the bottom ailerons to the top ailerons. Simple and basic setup. Works great. Remember, its about a 4 to 1 ratio to counter balance weight in the tail in the nose. 1/4 oz in the tail needs about 1 oz in the nose to offset it. You really dont need the sheeting on the entire fuse for strength.
Edwin

cwhipple 05-09-2010 06:05 AM

Edwin, can you post a picture of your servo setup in the fuselage? I would be interested to see how you created the mounting surface.