RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   how many enjoy the build? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/9910420-how-many-enjoy-build.html)

mistermnkim 08-04-2010 10:56 AM

how many enjoy the build?

i really dont know how to say what i asked in the subject line above, what i mean is i enjoy walking in my shop and seeing half built projects, hardware, engines ect.. am i crazy? lol i just enjoy the whole process of the build to the satifaction of seeing it fly when completed. i never get in a hurry to finish and sometimes drag it out it seems? am i the only one like this? please tell me im not!!

mclina 08-04-2010 11:12 AM

RE: how many enjoy the build?

I have had to force myself to slow down during builds, because I am always sad to see them end. I treated my first few kits as a race to the finish line, but since then I have realized that I enjoy the building process as much as flying, and I hate having an empty work bench.

smkrcflyer 08-04-2010 11:22 AM

The build is the best part for me. I just fly them to see how well I built them.

AH1G 08-04-2010 11:23 AM

I think the build is 70% of R/C. I love to fly my planes but, I enjoy the build immensely. There is nothing better than having two or three GS planes in the works. I can go from one to the next to the next and spend days at it. Thank God, I'm semi-retired as work gets in the way.
I've been building and flying R/C since the early/mid 60's when escapement systems were still the best thing available, CL before that.
I bought one GP ARF sailplane last year, the quality was terrible. Everything was wrong bad covering, extremely warped surfaces and the glass fuselage seaming I could and did remove with my finger nail, just like a zipper! NEVER again!!

s3nfo 08-04-2010 11:30 AM

Hate to sand for some reason, but love everything else about building

GaryHarris 08-04-2010 11:30 AM

If it wasn't for the building part, I wouldn't be in this hobby.

AA5BY 08-04-2010 11:33 AM

I can relate to what your saying though time has brought some changes for me. When younger, there was more drive to get as much done as quick as possible whereas now the pleasure is in the doing however long it takes. An offshoot of this is an attitude change about the clutter. Then, the clutter was knee deep and tools scattered. Now, taking time to keep the shop orderly isn't viewed as a distraction from getting the project done. The second offshoot is that there will be days where I could have worked on a project, and don't because there just isn't as much drive to get it done or maybe stated another way, then I would put off other chores that called, whereas now I'm less willing to put off other chores for the hobby.

krayzc-RCU 08-04-2010 12:03 PM

does putting an ARF together count as buiding?:D or is tht like a duncan hines cake and not strach made:)

WacoNut 08-04-2010 12:04 PM

There are parts of the build that I do not like and seem to save the PITA jobs till the end but I prefer building over flying 2:1.
I even tried building planes for other people but hated to let them go when they were finished. I always have to have something to build on.
Anthony

WacoNut 08-04-2010 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

does putting an ARF together count as buiding?:D or is tht like a duncan hines cake and not strach made:)
Sorry but an AFR does not count as building, if you have never built a plane you are missing out on one of the greatest experiences in the hobby.

AH1G 08-04-2010 12:27 PM

WACONUT's answer is correct. Spend a month to two years building your plane and you'll see. A great thing about building is hearing ooo's and Ahh's when you show up at the field with a plane you have built.
By the way, do Waco's have nuts?

Brian

sensei 08-04-2010 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Building is the hobby and flying is the sport... I love both. ;)

Bob

WacoNut 08-04-2010 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: AH1G

WACONUT's answer is correct. Spend a month to two years building your plane and you'll see. A great thing about building is hearing ooo's and Ahh's when you show up at the field with a plane you have built.

Brian

Mine Does:D

AH1G 08-04-2010 12:39 PM

SUPER, BEAUTIFUL and other superlatives! I do believe it does!

krayzc-RCU 08-04-2010 01:05 PM

got ya i can say when i came into the hobby my builds with my ARF were pretty bad looking back at it. I would show up at the field so happy and proud. The guys would ask me who built this and I would proudly say i did and the manual says it should have taken 25 hours and I did it in 15 or so. The stb was crock it, the fin would be leaning and i ghob on extra exopy to make sure all my stuff held together. I am sure you all have seen those type of builds show up at the field.:D

eagledancer 08-04-2010 01:22 PM

love the build there is always something on the building table and several in progress at all times, i totally agree if i didnt build i wouldnt be in this hobby

Acs_guitars 08-04-2010 01:31 PM

Building is the greatest and most satisfying part of the hobby. Lately I have done way too many ARF's, but at times that is all life would allow. I am working on getting back to building, but time is very valuable when your own 2 businesses and have a family... Retirement it sounding nicer every day.

scale only 4 me 08-04-2010 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: AH1G

Brian

+1,
You don't get "dat-a-boys" from assembling an ARF

wowplanes 08-04-2010 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For me, building is the creative part of the hobby and that is why I love to and build my own. Here is what I am working on as we speak. Next comes the paint and the hardware.

landeck 08-04-2010 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: mistermnkim

i really dont know how to say what i asked in the subject line above, what i mean is i enjoy walking in my shop and seeing half built projects, hardware, engines ect.. am i crazy? lol i just enjoy the whole process of the build to the satifaction of seeing it fly when completed. i never get in a hurry to finish and sometimes drag it out it seems? am i the only one like this? please tell me im not!!
If you are crazy - then so am I:D You expressed my feeling exactly.

Bruce

KitBuilder 08-04-2010 03:35 PM

:DBuilder here!  The only foam in my planes is if I need a plug for a cowl !  </p>

wazzbat 08-04-2010 04:19 PM

I'm just strating out again after ten years out of the game and I almost gave up already because it was so hard to find a kit here in Western Australia. But I have found one that will cost 3 times the price of an ARF and I'm going to get it! And I'm just after a trainer! If it wasn't for the building part of it then I wouldn't be into this hobby!!!

Michel 08-04-2010 04:36 PM

Hi

I,m one of the guys thats hates ( and I do mean HATE ) reading ,...................... I BUILD AN ARF . I drop the post ( or thread ) like a dead weight . And at the field , I just walk away . Absolutly NO INTERREST , unless he,s honest and says : assembled . But please , I,m humble about this .

Michel

Steve Landron 08-04-2010 04:59 PM

I love the build, and love to fly, just lately can't do both active duty these days... I have three kits waiting for me to start the on the shelf!

Steve

noveldoc 08-04-2010 04:59 PM

One great thing about building is ye olde kit bash. All those little or larger changes that create your own custom plane. And do not forget your covering design.

It is fun to own and fly something unique.

Great fun when I bashed a 4 Star 40 into a kinda Peashooter. Waiting now to bash Dave Tharpe's Venture into a kinda P 51B.

Tom