RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Nise Wheel Steering With V Tail Mixing? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/9929799-nise-wheel-steering-v-tail-mixing.html)

noveldoc 08-12-2010 08:43 PM

Nise Wheel Steering With V Tail Mixing?

Interested in bashing a kit to make a sorta Beech Bonanza with V Tail.

Can't for the life of me figure out how to hook up nose wheel steering with a ruddervator mix.

Ideas out there?

Tom

Campgems 08-12-2010 11:36 PM

RE: Nise Wheel Steering With V Tail Mixing?

What radio do you have, and what receiver? you need to have a TXthat allows for V-tail mixing and then slave a stearing servo to the rudder channel. There is a mechanical was, the rudder servo is on a sliding tray and the elevator servo moves the tray for elevator functions. With this, you can use a Y extention on the rudder servo to a stearing servo. The TX mix is the way to go though it you have the equipment to support it.

Don

Added

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9922915/tm.htm

We recently kicked this around on this thread

noveldoc 08-13-2010 12:14 AM

Futaba FASST 7 channel.

Has ruddervator mix function.

Tom

BarracudaHockey 08-13-2010 06:20 AM

You can't use a Y harness with a V tail or the nose wheel will move when you give elevator.

You can:
A. Use a separate servo, hooked to an aux channel, and P-Mixed with the rudder
B. Take a pushrod off the oppostite side of one of the V-Tail servos.

Campgems 08-13-2010 12:40 PM

Tom, use the mix function and set up the ruddervators. Then set up a second mix of the rudder to a spare channel. Slave the new channel to the rudder stick. You then hook up your steering servo to this channel. You can also set it up so the nose wheel steers when activated by a TX switch, but that may be more complexity than you need. For a retractable nose wheel, it is a good thing to be able to shut off the nose wheel movement in flight. You would activate the steering servo by enabling it with the landing gear switch.

Don

Campgems 08-13-2010 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

You can't use a Y harness with a V tail or the nose wheel will move when you give elevator.

You can:
A. Use a separate servo, hooked to an aux channel, and P-Mixed with the rudder
B. Take a pushrod off the oppostite side of one of the V-Tail servos.
Andy, how is option B going to work. you would get stearing movement with elevator movement wouldn't you?

Don

BarracudaHockey 08-13-2010 01:46 PM

Good grief!! well it was really early and I hadn't had my coffee yet. Duh, yes its the same with a Y harness, if the elevator moves both "rudders" move hence the nose wheel would move with elevator input.

If you're using radio mixing for the v-tail then you need another servo to turn the nose. Start with a fairly low percentage, I think we got my bud's Bonanza working perfectly with 40 percent nose wheel throw with full rudder deflection.

Campgems 08-13-2010 03:02 PM

Never write a note before coffee. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

Don

ARUP 08-14-2010 11:36 AM

I ran one pull-pull cable from each 'elevator' horn. The cable was routed back into the fuse to the tailwheel tiller. The tailwheel had horns or tiller each side of pivot. Each pull-pull cable had a spring attached and springs were attached to each end of tiller. Down and up elevator input created equal tension (more and less, equally- depending on which side the horns are mounted) from springs but rudder input created differential movement. Hope this makes sense.

noveldoc 08-14-2010 01:24 PM

I am going to try a dry run on the electronic radio mix. Looks like I may just use a simple DuBro mechanical mixer. You have a rudder servo with a sort of double pronged metal lever attached to the top of the servo wheel. Elevator servo is attached to a ball link on that and operates both serfaces up or down.

Would be simple to attach a cable to the underside of the rudder servo arm that would get only right and left input.

ARUP's setup sounds interesting also.

Tom

Campgems 08-14-2010 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: noveldoc

I am going to try a dry run on the electronic radio mix. Looks like I may just use a simple DuBro mechanical mixer. You have a rudder servo with a sort of double pronged metal lever attached to the top of the servo wheel. Elevator servo is attached to a ball link on that and operates both serfaces up or down.

Would be simple to attach a cable to the underside of the rudder servo arm that would get only right and left input.

Tom
Tom, do yourself a huge favor and gowith the electronic mix vs a mechanical one. The mechanical units require a lot of setup work to get things working. Minor changes can be a challenge. Then comes the problem of wear and tear. If they were any good, they would be in use today.The computer radio is a superior solution, and it will save the weight of the mechanical linkage as well.

Don

noveldoc 08-14-2010 02:13 PM

I'll try it first, Don.

Tom

ARUP 08-16-2010 11:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Campgems

ORIGINAL: noveldoc

Tom
Tom, do yourself a huge favor and go with the electronic mix vs a mechanical one. The mechanical units require a lot of setup work to get things working. Minor changes can be a challenge. Then comes the problem of wear and tear. If they were any good, they would be in use today. The computer radio is a superior solution, and it will save the weight of the mechanical linkage as well.

Don
The electronic solution is the most elegant , solid and efficient and I wholeheartedly agree with Campgems. However, 2 pull cables and two springs are 'tons' (pun intended) lighter than a servo to drive the tailwheel. When my tailwheel setup was finished it worked very well and had the benefit of absorbing side loads (Forces against tailwheel direction) that were readily absorbed by the springs' tension. I even had a spring around the tailwheel shaft to allow up/ down travel! Worked really well plus it was inexpensive to make! Full scale airplanes have this, too! If you really hate electronic stuff then the pull-pull is for you until it drives you crazy fiddling with it. Then you will be motivated to do the electronic route! LOL Just joshing a bit! Good luck!