RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/9978984-carl-goldberg-ultimate-10-300-brotherhood.html)

alfredbmor 09-03-2010 06:50 PM

Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.

The purpose of this Brotherhood is simple.

Have fun!!

OK, there is a catch here, every one must have fun meanwhile are sharing information and experiences relating the build, assemble, caring and rebuild of the classic Carl Goldberg Kit (and even the ARF) Ultimate 10-300.

It will be a great source of pictures or links to your very own building thread.

This is also a reconnaissance to the effort of those kit builders that have had the pleasure to build and fly this great kit and, generously had helped to others to build their own kits, by given advices and tips, looking only for the joy of having another CG Ultimate built and in the air.

I thank to the founding members for supporting this Brotherhood and I make a call to every kit builder to join and share his or her own experiences.

Founding members:

maukaonyx, JohnMcGowan, Cub Man, DanS, u2builder, CRJDriver, captinjohn, Yekots, everwood, JNorton, Crash Campbell, daveopam, alfredbmor and every poster from here and on.

alfredbmor 09-03-2010 07:00 PM

RE: Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.

The list is as follows:

maukaonyx # 01
JohnMcGowan # 02
Cub Man # 03
DanS # 04
u2builder # 05
CRJDriver # 06
alfredbmor # 07
captinjohn #08
yekots # 09
everwood # 10
JNorton # 11
Available number # 12
Crash Campbell # 13
Available number # 14
daveopam # 15

If you are not in this list, please claim for the next available number.

Alfred.

alfredbmor 09-03-2010 07:35 PM

Here is the link to my CG Ultimate, building thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4913575/tm.htm

Here a link to a slide show format posted in Youtube with some pictures of my Ultimate and others planes I have and some that I used to have.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJF4f8E3bbQ

tailskid 09-03-2010 07:39 PM

I'll take the next number

tailskid

alfredbmor 09-03-2010 08:07 PM

Tailskid # 12

And very welcome.

Please members, note that numbers 13 and 15 are already taken, and then, the only number in between available is # 14 for the next person to check in. After that the next number will be # 16 and on.

frequent flyer 09-03-2010 09:23 PM

I'll join the brotherhood, the ultimate is a great plane and I'm building my second CG Ultimate and designing a larger one for my DA85 [sm=bananahead.gif]

maukaonyx 09-03-2010 10:44 PM

Alfred, thanks for the HONOR of listing me as #01!!! Very cool. :) Here's a pic of mine on approach, and then that landing again...these are from the same flight.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...e/P1010028.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...e/P1010029.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...e/P1010030.jpg

I need to get some newer pics to share with the Brotherhood! Jon

Crash Campbell 09-03-2010 10:57 PM

G'day all from Oz,

Thaks to Alfred for starting off the "Brotherhood". I'm a bit of an Ultimate freak of maybe just a "freak". I've built three CG kits and still have one and an ARF operable.

Jon I don't know if the telephoto lens made those trees look closer to the strip than they really are but they look hungry for models:D.

Cheers,

Colin

alfredbmor 09-03-2010 11:04 PM

Wow!! Speechless

You flying your Ultimate, your Ultimate and of course, your photographer are No. 1.

There is no doubt in me.

Congratulations.

Alfred.

alfredbmor 09-03-2010 11:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Crash Campbell

G'day all from Oz,

Thaks to Alfred for starting off the ''Brotherhood''. I'm a bit of an Ultimate freak of maybe just a ''freak''. I've built three CG kits and still have one and an ARF operable.

Jon I don't know if the telephoto lens made those trees look closer to the strip than they really are but they look hungry for models:D.

Cheers,

Colin

Thanks Colin!!!

alfredbmor 09-03-2010 11:26 PM

ORIGINAL: frequent flyer

I'll join the brotherhood, the ultimate is a great plane and I'm building my second CG Ultomate and designing a larger one for my DA85 [sm=bananahead.gif]
Frequent flyer, thanks for check in, your number is 14, Welcome to the brotherhood!!

Next number available for the next member to check in will be # 16.

Thanks.

Alfred.

VCScott 09-04-2010 02:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I'll take #16 I bought my first CG Ultimate when it was the new hot kit you just had to get, I think around 91 or 92. Built it exactly per plan, put an OS 120 surpass on it and WOW!!!! what a plane! This was my first plane with unlimited vertical, what a blast! I flew the heck out of it, hardly a scratch, never a bad landing, never a problem, after the maiden I never even took the wings off. IT was perfect... UNTIL... That ignorant S.O.B. showed up and shot me down [X(]. Sorry, the wound will never heal. Anyway, I got all the pieces and a new kit waiting to be built, so soon I'll have two:D. Long live the brotherhood Scott

braddock VC 09-04-2010 08:25 AM

Alfred, I asked by pm but please give me #46, as you've got barrie sheens on, I'll have VR's.

maukaonyx 09-04-2010 09:24 AM

Colin, that tree line is over 1/4 mile away, so I never get real close to them. The zoom on my son's camera just brought those trees closer than they really are. He took the pics, and yes he does a good job at it; he'll be happy you guys like the shots.

Scott, sounds like you built your first Ultimate before I did! Welcome to the Brotherhood. I'd freak if someone killed one of my planes with a dumb move like that. To prevent that from happening NOW, I recently switched my Ultimate over to 2.4. I also replaced the single aileron servo with a new, stronger one, and switched the 4.8V pack to 6V...I have done that battery switch on virtually all my planes. I only fly one 72 plane now, a DLG.

Keep up the good work, Alfred...this is FUN like it should be. Jon

alfredbmor 09-04-2010 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: braddock VC

Alfred, I asked by pm but please give me #46, as you've got barrie sheens on, I'll have VR's.

Welcome to the brotherhood, braddock VC.
You are #46
Congratulations!!

Alfred

alfredbmor 09-04-2010 11:08 AM

VCScott, welcome to the brotherhood.

Joe: Thanks for your kind words. Yes it is really fun, your son is a great photographer, I did not know who was the photographer, but I run an Advertising Bussines and I can tell you that those pictures have everything (like light, color, angle, etc), I am really glad that we all can see them, thank Joe, and please transmit these words to your son.

Alfred.

daveopam 09-04-2010 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't have any good pics on my work computer. This is an ARF anyway. Have some kit pics at the house. :-)

David

braddock VC 09-04-2010 01:01 PM

Thanks, Alfred.
My Goldberg Ultimate has been on the building board now for about ten years, now it's all framed up and ready to cover.
Originally I bought a supertigre 90 and a pitts type silencer but swapped the engine for a 61 4 stroke for my wot4 and sold the muffler on. I then bought a thunder tiger 120 pro for it but sold that one on.
Now I have a saito 125 for it and also an os 91 fx. Can't decide which to fit.
Until I cover it I bought a Black Horse Ultimate which is EXACTLY the same outline as the CG one, the only difference is the cabane arrangement and it has a fibreglass cowl and alloy u/c. Even the weight is almost the same. This plane has been assembled(artf) for about 6 months using the saito 125 as the engine but I've yet to fly it, when I do it'll whet my appetite and I'll get the goldberg one finished and covered this winter. I have bought several rolls of dark blue fibafilm to cover it and keep the weight down.
The only real changes I made to the CG design was to replace the ribs that hold the interplane struts with 1/8" birch ply ones, have a micro digital servo in each wing half and I've nailed a perry ocillating pump to the firewall and the tank on the c of g. I also bought an aftermarket fiberglass cowl that is very heavy and will help balance the plane if I fit the saito. I'll get a spare Black Horse cowl as they are only about £12 ($18) if I fit the OS as it's a bit heavier and the cowl is a lot lighter than even the ABS original one and fits like it was made for the goldberg bipe as it probably was. ( even the canopy is identical!!!!)
Whichever engine I fit it will be inverted as the thought of a cylinder head sticking out the side like a wart doesn't appeal to me.

My CG Ultimate will wear #46 with pride!!!!

braddock VC 09-04-2010 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hope I've managed to upload pix of my Black Horse Ultimate Bipe, ARTF 90 2s 120 4stroke.

prop wash 09-04-2010 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been flying CG Ultimates for about ten years and it's one of my favorites.Two years ago I took all the covering off and recovered in a different scheme and it makes it much easier to see.I have a saito 180 in her and my verticles are unbelievable.I fly around at half throttle so I get a longer flight.Very happy with this plane.Tom

alfredbmor 09-04-2010 02:42 PM

braddock: It is hard to distinguish the CG Ultimate from the Black Horse that you posted, I hope that they fly very similar, I just can say that the CG Ultimate flies great, and I guess this will encourage to accomplish the task in your workbench.

Alfred.

alfredbmor 09-04-2010 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: prop wash

I've been flying CG Ultimates for about ten years and it's one of my favorites.Two years ago I took all the covering off and recovered in a different scheme and it makes it much easier to see.I have a saito 180 in her and my verticles are unbelievable.I fly around at half throttle so I get a longer flight.Very happy with this plane.Tom

Prop Wash, that is a very good looking Ultimate, congratulations.

That Saito engine should take it with lots of power, I am using an OS 1.20 AX and flies very fast with the 16 x 8, I changed the prop for an APC 17 x 6, the engine seems to do it fine, no much flies on it yet but it goes fine and a lot of power too.

I hope to keep mine for a long time, gas engines are reducing its size, maybe in the future there will be one that fits fine in this Biplane.

By the way, if you want to take the next number is # 17.

Alfred.

braddock VC 09-04-2010 03:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One difference is the black horse ultimate ailerons where they are coupled top and bottom, the horns are mounted to give differential, I'm pretty sure the top aileron moves less than the bottom one.
Of all the artf ultimates reviewed in the uk, happily by the same reviewer, the black horse was given the best review, it included the Top Gun one, the Seagull one and I think the World Models one.
I think it came out tops as it was the lightest, all the others were 9.5 to 10.5 pounds, my black horse weighs 8 pounds 6 ounces and that includes 8 ounces of lead on the engine mount.
TBH I can't wait to maiden it I'm going away to a flyin at Hastings in two weeks ( where the Battle of Hastings took place in 1066) and if it's not too windy I'll do the job there.

braddock VC 09-04-2010 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hope these ones come through, if you look carefully you will see that the horns for controlling the upper ailerons are pitched differently than those in the lower, driving, ailerons.

eaticus 09-04-2010 03:13 PM

Signing on! Had two of 'em! Working on #3. I have had numerous ultimate bipe in numerous sizes ranging from Flat foamies to 50cc. Goldberg Ultimate is by far my favorite ones!

I'll take #18 (if available)