Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Kyosho Helicopters
Reload this Page >

throttle/pitch tuning?

Notices
Kyosho Helicopters Discuss all Kyosho heli topics here.

throttle/pitch tuning?

Old 07-12-2011, 04:27 PM
gorchew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle/pitch tuning?

Hello, I'm In the process of tuning my Concept 30's throttle to pitch range and was wondering if there is any specific procedure that anyone reading this post would care to inform me upon.
I have my collective pitch slider adjusting the pitch of the blades at a range of -1.5 degrees to 12 degrees (lowest stick position to highest) Currently, I'm doing test flights and found that that at a certain point (near mid stick position, or low hovering) I was getting to much pitch to throttle, which would stall the motor (and consequently the blades) and send the chopper back down to from whence she'd come (the ground of course) , however, just before it did that, it seemed to me that perhaps the head speed was a little high (I don't have a tachometer to really tell for sure) So to get to it, I smoothed out that section of the pitch curve and it now does much better. But I'm scarred that the same might happen in the high end, when the helicopter is either moving forward or up, in which case staliing the blades wont 't be so easy going. Any suggestions - Thanks - gorchew
Old 07-13-2011, 05:51 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts
Default RE: throttle/pitch tuning?

12 degrees is way too much pitch for a 30, you should be looking at 9 to 9.5
Old 07-14-2011, 12:13 PM
gorchew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: throttle/pitch tuning?

All right, thanks for your answer, I now have the collective set from -1 to 9 degrees (lowest to highest input setting), still I have not done anything more than a hover because I am still in engine break-in for about two more tanks of fuel. I feel a little more confident about trying some forward flight and getting altitude. To be perfectly honest this is my first collective pitch, as well as nitro helicopter. I so far have become pretty good on a micro heli with full cyclic control, but, when it does crash, it inflicts little to no harm upon itself or anything else. So this thing has me a little nervous, I'm not quite pissing my pants but I'm certainly grinding my teeth. However, I do feel comfortable in hovering through a whole tank of gas, and can keep it contained in a five foot diameter area the entire time. So I feel about ready to try a little forward flight.
One more question: since I don't have a tachometer and can't tell what rpm the rotor is spinning at, do I have to worry about over-speeding it to the point that the whole thing will fly apart if at some point (input reference) my throttle curve is set to high for the pitch curve? For example; lets say (arbitrarily) that I had set the pitch curve at 0 degrees throughout the traverse of input, and so it remained at 0, meanwhile the throttle was steadily increased. Would it get so fast that the whole thing would fly apart, or could it handle the rpms that the motor would top out at (say 20,000 (not considering the gear reduction which finally drives the the main rotor) Thanks again - Gorchew