Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Kyosho Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Caliber 30 - Starting

Notices
Kyosho Helicopters Discuss all Kyosho heli topics here.

Caliber 30 - Starting

Old 12-31-2002, 02:40 AM
dhenriks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliber 30 - Starting

This morning I broke off two of the small fan blades next to where the starter shaft connects on my Caliber 30. When I pulled the starter away, the shaft came off from the starter, and dropped into the blades. Should I leave the switch on the starter in the on position after the engine starts and I begin to remove the starter ? Also, is it best to pull the starter out slowly or quickly ? I have heard some people say that you really need a special starter shaft that will allow the engine to spin at one speed and the starter to spin at another to start the Caliber 30. Is this really true ? If so, where can I get a good price on one ?
Old 12-31-2002, 04:43 AM
shocker

you do need the one with the one way bearing,, the fan\starter hex is directly connected to the motor shaft on the caliber. when the motor fires it will try to spin the starter shaft too,, the one way will free wheel to let motor spin
Old 01-03-2003, 05:48 AM
davidj

HeliHut has a hex start shaft with the one way bearing for only $25
Old 01-04-2003, 01:16 AM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

I have used both styles, with and without the one-way bearing. I haven't seen any great need for it other than on my proflex shaft. Since the shaft is flexible, it can whip at high speed and possibly damage stuff. I'm not sure what shaft you are using. I assume it is one that sticks in the rubber starter cone and depends on that friction fit to hold it. I tried one like that but it fell out too often. Mine is permanently mounted to the starter motor shaft after removing the airplane cone. $20 or 30 bucks for a dedicated heli starter shouldn't be too much of a hardship for most heli flyers.
basmntdweller
Old 01-04-2003, 01:44 AM
ixanos

basmntdweller

Do you have to add some lubricant to help remove the solid shaft hex starter (w/o oneway bearing) for easy removal once the engine has started? Also, do you have to keep your hand on the starter - starter button to minimize the effect of the running engine rotation?
Old 01-04-2003, 03:11 AM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

I alays use a light coat of grease on the hex ball and in the socket to reduce wear. I never really paid any attention to whether I release the switch first or remove the shaft from the hex socket. It is probably in the same motion. I hear the engine fire off and pull it out. With my pro-flex shaft for my Fury, I always release the switch and wait for it to stop spinning before removing it from the heli. The pro-flex has a one way bearing in the end of it. I wish there was a way to adapt the caliber to work with the pro-flex. By the way, the socket in the caliber tends to wear rather fast so kepping the socket and shaft clean and lubed will make it last much longer. The socket is rather soft so it wears rather than the hex shaft. If I remember correctly, the socket costs about $20.
later,,,basmntdweller
Old 01-04-2003, 02:26 PM
ixanos

Thanx a lot
Old 01-06-2003, 07:52 PM
md407
My Feedback: (4)

I have a Caliber and did the same thing. I found a starting shaft at the local hobby store with a one way bearing. The product was from Quick. I removed my starting cone and clamped it to the shaft on my hobbico starter. Works great. Though, I had to buy another starter for the planes.

Regards,

Marty
Caliber 30
9C