Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Kyosho Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Nexus 30 Gyro Positioning?

Notices
Kyosho Helicopters Discuss all Kyosho heli topics here.

Nexus 30 Gyro Positioning?

Old 01-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Rob Edge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nexus 30 Gyro Positioning?

Can Anyone advise on where BEST to position the Gyro on the Nexus 30??
I have mine on the little ledge above the servos.. I this a good place or not:
Regards
Rob
Old 01-03-2003, 01:56 AM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default gyro

I had mine there but it hit the canopy. Installed it under the servos on the flat three inch section behind the lower canopy hook
Old 01-03-2003, 03:33 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have mine installed in the hole above the fuel tank. It has suvived way to many crashes then it should have.

Dru.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:55 PM
Rob Edge

Default any other offers?

Thanks Guys
I like the idea of "Under ther Servos" (Never even considered that one) but is there a risk of it coming loose if it's only held with the stick pad tape and being kinda upside down so to speak.... ummmmm,
seems it would also get some air ventilation round it if it was placed there but what about fuel deposits, dust etc??
Have you encountered any of these problems Jetranger?

blvdbuzzard
do you need a whole set of lead extentions etc to place it where you got yours? I Love the idea of hiding it in it's own little bullet proof box though... I suppose you could house it in its own little foam box also for real vibration protection!

General Question for anyone******
Taking how gyros work and what they do into consideration is it best to place them as far back or forward as possible away from the C of G or as close to the C of G as possible????
being new to all this stuff myself>>
Regards
Rob
Old 01-03-2003, 10:16 PM
blvdbuzzard

I needed two servo extensions to get it to work. I used the extra holes in the main frames to hold the wires in place with tie wraps. After 3 years of crashing/flying it is still working .

Dru.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Rob Edge

Thanks Dru.. It's an option well worth considering. I like options that have been tried and Crash tested??
Old 01-04-2003, 04:15 PM
blvdbuzzard

OH yes it has been crash tested.

One of the last BIG crashes was when I was up about 350 to 400 feet. I was just starting to try the inverted hovering so I made sure I had some room to play with. I do a back flip to get inverted. Just afet it is upside down I loose all control. It was on its own. It did a slow side ways slide to the left. It looked like it was trying to get back upright. It hit the wet, muddy grass perfectlly flat on its side. It hit so hard that the battery pack came through the canopy. The gyro did not move from its little hidey hole.

Dru.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:39 PM
johnnycart

Default nexus gyro position

My 401 is mounted with two sided foam tape on theshort shelf just in front of the top servo...no problems what so ever..
Old 01-07-2003, 11:48 PM
johnnycart

Default on/off switch location for nexus 30

I hated trying to switch on/off the nexus with the switch in the stock location. It was just too hard to find quickly under the canopy for me, so I moved it up out of the canopy,on top of the boom end in the little slot that the side frames make behind the rotor head. It is held there with a little aluminum strap and small screws. Perfect!...easy to get at...
Old 01-08-2003, 02:47 PM
Rob Edge

jonnycart
how do you find your 401 gyro
I had a helimax and it failed on the second flight so I am upgrading to a 401 (waiting for it to arrive)
Any tips or comments that might help would be much appreciated
Rob
Old 01-08-2003, 09:04 PM
johnnycart

Default gyro positioning nexus30

I got my nexus online and brought it to the local shop to check out and trim it for me .(i had only flew planes before)..as soon as he saw it he said the helimax was crap and that they quit without warning..so he wont sell them anymore...I said as long as it works for now let me try it to learn on and Ill get a diff one later...while he was trimming it it failed ..spun into the ground but nothing broke...he put in a revolution 200 for ($90) and it was fine...I then upgraded to a 401 about 4 months later...no comparison...the 401 was like night and day....i went from skidding across the field while trying to get just off the ground to hovering for 15 min without trying!!!!!!!!!!!!there maybe better out there but I love how the 401 helped me out....johnnycart
Old 01-10-2003, 01:54 PM
Rob Edge

Default Excellent

Excelento news and real reassuring to know I am making a good decision and not taking the risk of blowing everything before I start. I love forums where you can get GOOD constructive feedback. Well done RCuniverse?
Thanks again
Old 01-20-2003, 02:54 AM
freefall

Rob Edge: You might want to contact Helimax about the gyro. I had the smae problem. Shortly after getting the Heli in the air, the servo would die and loss al control for the tail, hard left or right, I cannot remember which.

Helimax had a bad batch of Micro gyros and I was able to get my money refunded and thus upgraded to a GY-401. Sweet control now.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:30 PM
Rob Edge

Default Got me Gyro

Good news
My futaba 401 arrived yesterday and I am going to install it in the little compartment above the fuel tank..
I used its original foam packing as a protective wall around it and seems to fit into the space like a dream..
Tomorrow is the big day and the first test flight
Please don't let me down Futaba like Helimax did.