Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Kyosho Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Nexus 30 Main gear

Community
Search
Notices
Kyosho Helicopters Discuss all Kyosho heli topics here.

Nexus 30 Main gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Archangel6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nexus 30 Main gear

Has anyone ever make one out of metal? I just had 1 or 2 minor tail strikes (Trying to hover in 20-30mph winds) and stripped my main gear pretty bad...Luckily I just picked up another ARTF Nexus kit so I had a complete spare...

This hobby is tooo fun!!
Old 06-07-2007, 01:17 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts
Default RE: Nexus 30 Main gear

Well I had access to all the fancy machining tools to do it at one time but here's the simple fact, if the metal gear doesnt break something else in the drive system will. Make your tail blades fairly loose in the grips and that will alleviate most of the energy.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Archangel6

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Well I had access to all the fancy machining tools to do it at one time but here's the simple fact, if the metal gear doesnt break something else in the drive system will. Make your tail blades fairly loose in the grips and that will alleviate most of the energy.
Yeah..good point...I should have known better than to try flying in 30-40mph gusts Oh well, I guess I'll stock up on main gears tail rotors..etc...
Old 06-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Archangel6

Ok...since I have this other Nexus .30 to play with, what's the largest power plant I can stuff into this Nexus 30 setup?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:05 PM
BarracudaHockey

I'd say an OS37 or a Toki 40 but the OS probably produces more power and will definately last longer.

But you are rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, get a Raptor or Evo
Old 06-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Archangel6

I'd say an OS37 or a Toki 40 but the OS probably produces more power and will definately last longer.

But you are rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, get a Raptor or Evo

LOL...married with 2-kids limit my ability to upgrade to a better Helo. I am going to use the original Nexus as a trainer, and hop-up as best as I can the 2nd kit I picked up
Old 06-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Cyberfyn

Yup. OS-37 with a Hatori pipe is hard to beat.

I remember getting caught in a sudden storm when I was flying last winter. Sudden gusts to 40-50mph! Made for interesting flying I can tell you. I couldn't land due to gusting and transitional lift so I had to hover it in idle up 2 at about 100ft [&:]

Ian F.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Archangel6

ORIGINAL: Cyberfyn

Yup. OS-37 with a Hatori pipe is hard to beat.

I remember getting caught in a sudden storm when I was flying last winter. Sudden gusts to 40-50mph! Made for interesting flying I can tell you. I couldn't land due to gusting and transitional lift so I had to hover it in idle up 2 at about 100ft [&:]

Ian F.

Nice....rugh price for the package and best place to purchase?

AA6
Old 06-07-2007, 03:46 PM
BarracudaHockey

Heliproz. The Hatori SAB6R is the way to go. The engine is 135, not sure about the muffler. http://www.heliproz.com
Old 06-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Archangel6

Make your tail blades fairly loose in the grips and that will alleviate most of the energy.

Ok...didn't help, I know these things are tail heavy, but geesh how much weight can I add to the front before it won't lift off? can anyone point me to a definitive guide to setting up this bird?

I've leveled the swash plate as best as I could, the blades are tracking on the same plane through-out the entire throttle range...and my tail shakes a little. I DO need a gyro better suited for the .30 helo's. I need something to tell me specifics...

Thx

AA6

Old 06-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Cyberfyn

What gyro are you running? Tail shaking usually means slop in the linkages or too high a gain setting. A great 30+ size gyro is the Futaba GY401 (or the 240) if you just want heading hold.

Try http://www.raptortechnique.com and read through all their setting up sheets. All 30 size birds are basically the same.

The heli should balance with the mainshaft vertical when suspended by the blade roots. If it isn't then it's not setup right. If need be put a bigger batterypack up front.

Ian F.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Archangel6

I'm running the Heli-max that came with it...I posted a pic in another post I started. I am planing on the GY-401, honestly for non-3d flying is the gyro/servo combo really necessary? I am only interested in basic flight..etc right now.

Thanks I couldn't remember that http://www.raptortechnique.com link
Old 06-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Cyberfyn

A dodgy or badly setuo gyro = a difficult bird to fly.

Is the Helimax heading hold? For total newbs who just want to learn to hover it's the way to go. You can place the tail where you want and it'll stay there. Which also makes basic forward flight more difficult, because you have to drive the tail yourself. The beauty of a dual rate gyro like the 401 is that you can take off in heading hold, muck about a bit in HH then switch over to mode 1 and take off into forward flight. In standard mode the tail of the heli will 'weathercock' so you don't have to force the tail to follow the nose so much.

Ian F.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Archangel6

ORIGINAL: Cyberfyn

A dodgy or badly setuo gyro = a difficult bird to fly.

Is the Helimax heading hold? For total newbs who just want to learn to hover it's the way to go. You can place the tail where you want and it'll stay there. Which also makes basic forward flight more difficult, because you have to drive the tail yourself. The beauty of a dual rate gyro like the 401 is that you can take off in heading hold, muck about a bit in HH then switch over to mode 1 and take off into forward flight. In standard mode the tail of the heli will 'weathercock' so you don't have to force the tail to follow the nose so much.

Ian F.
UGH!

My head hurts! Thanks again to my tail strike I need to grab another main gear[:@] while I am waiting for it to get here I'll go through the setup(rod lengths, pitch curves..etc)

Maybe I'll make some tail-boom training gear

Is $19.99 +$6.50 shipping an ok price to pay for a main gear?

Here is me Gyro
Old 06-12-2007, 03:37 AM
Cyberfyn

That gyro is for micro helicopters like the Zoom or T-Rex. You really need a better one. Spend the money now on a decent gyro and save it on maingears, blades, booms, shafts..... Etc

Ian F.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:54 AM
Archangel6

I agree I was going to purchase the GY-401, but now actually I think am going to end up selling the both the RTF and ARF Nexus's I have for now, and pickup another at the end of the season.....we just picked up a set of Seadoo's last night
Old 06-20-2007, 11:47 AM
chagolucho
Banned

HI everyone, Im from Chile and its quite difficult/expensive to get a main gear, im thinking in building my own one with resin and fiberglass, using a good one I have for making a mold. What do you think, could it work?