Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Kyosho Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Replacement main gear

Community
Search
Notices
Kyosho Helicopters Discuss all Kyosho heli topics here.

Replacement main gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:02 PM
DARRENSHIELS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement main gear

Just aquired an old nexus 30 as looking to have a play with heli's having been a fixed wing junkie for a number of years.

The main gear drive has teeth missing and needs replacing, I have managed to sourse a replacement and could really do with some advice on how to change it ?

Does the main head have to come away or is there an easier way of replacing.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Cyberfyn

Default RE: Replacement main gear

Not owned a Nexus, but most mainshafts can be pulled out from the top leaving the head attatched. Is there a collar (mast stopper) under the main gear? Just loosen the grub screws, remove the links to the swash and it 'should' pull right out. Or not.

Ian F.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:49 PM
ByronF

Cyberfyn has posted a very helpful page from the manual on replacing the main gear. However I have also recently picked up an old Nexus 30 that needed a gear replacement. What I discovered during the process was it was best to strip down the heli and rework just about everything shown on the page that was posted.
From earlier threads someone talked about tail shake and someone else suggested to check if the guides in the tail boom had moved. For the lack of something better to do one day I popped the boom off and checked it out. Sure enough the drive wire guides had shifted, one had an elongated hole and the drive wire was bent.
This got me motivated to strip other parts and check them out. Sure glad I did as I found a number of things that needed to be fixed, straightened, replaced, shimmed or locktited (if thats a word). Even had to replace the clutch liner. Hawk or Raptor liners with JB Weld will work. Parts for the Nexus are hard to come by but I found some old carcasses that I scavenged for parts and in in 2 instances found that older Hawk parts could be made to fit. For the tail I used a Hawk 30 boom cut an inch or so off the front and re-filed the notches and it works great. I also replaced the start cone with the standard hex adapter from a Hawk. Finally the canopy/body on the unit I picked up had seen better days. Well the Hawk body fits, the front mount is the same as a Nexus, just needed to make 2 holes for the rear mounting posts.
Good luck with your Nexus!
Old 02-12-2008, 04:57 PM
DARRENSHIELS

Following on from initial post I managed to source and replace the main drive and have since flown the heli. However on flying sunday I found the main drive to have bee shreaded again and as such needs replacing again. Anyone suggest what may be the corse ?
Old 02-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Cyberfyn

Usually it's down to incorrect mesh or bumpy landing..... Or both

I set the mesh by running a strip of paper though the gears.

Ian F.