Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Kyosho Helicopters
Reload this Page >

300 For a rtf kyosho 30? !!!!!!! photos added

Notices
Kyosho Helicopters Discuss all Kyosho heli topics here.

300 For a rtf kyosho 30? !!!!!!! photos added

Old 05-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Igotntc3andrevo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300 For a rtf kyosho 30? !!!!!!! photos added

Hello everyone i was in my local hobby shop the other day when the owner brought a used kyosho 30 to my attention and said they got it on a trade and was selling it for 300 with a radio. the copter is hanging up so i didnt get a really good look at its quality but he said it was a steal. I have never flown a gass helicopter before and destroyed my honey bee which was electric but i beleive that was because it was a ebay purchase and a mini. Plus everyone says its easier to learn to fly the larger gas copters. I have raced the nitro cars for around seven years so i am familiar with the motors. thanks
j.g
Old 05-07-2008, 04:06 AM
Cyberfyn

Default RE: 300 For a rtf kyosho 30?

Do you mean a Kyosho Caliber 30? If so, and it's a full package then 300 USD is a good price.... But don't forget that the Caliber is now discontinued, so parts availability in the future is not looking good.

It's a great flying heli and perfect for starting in the nitro world. You can even configure the head into 'training mode' where the blade grips are set for trailing edge control, which makes the heli less jumpy and more suited for the beginner. But they are quite scary for someone coming from little electrics! When they spool up to 1700rpm and start screaming away in front of you it can be quite daunting for a newb... Especially if the heli is not setup correctly. A small crash with a micro is a BIG crash with a 30 sizer

If you do go for it, get the shop to set it up and trim it out for you. A few lessons on a buddy box or simulator is a good idea as well.

Let us know what you do, and get some photos up.

Ian F.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:26 AM
Igotntc3andrevo

Cyberfyn Thanks alot for the reply ...yes its a caliber...i dont know if its such a good buy because i am pretty sure i will crash it being my first gasser. I have the money but could spend it on other things but i watched a guy fly a gasser outside of my job when i worked at a hobby shop before i went to college and fell in love. probably by the end of this week i will be at the shop again and i will ask them if they can take it down for me to look. how long has it been discontinued. and honestly do you think it makes sense to spend the 300 when its discontinued?
Old 05-07-2008, 04:56 AM
Cyberfyn

It's been out of production for a couple of years now. Replaced by the Caliber-3

It is a great heli (I still fly mine every weekend) but for a first gasser? Maybe not. If I were you I'd spend the money on a larger electric model like a T-rex or Belt CP. Parts are cheap, and they fly the same and almost as good as a larger 30 size nitro bird. Get your experience on that and then spend the big bucks on a decent 30 or 50 size Raptor or Caliber 3 or 5.

Ian F.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Igotntc3andrevo

Yeah i have heard about the up coming electric trend but i dont find them as interesting as the gassers, are you saying the 30 would be hard to learn how to fly on? i know the large electrics cost around 1000 bucks to get up and running like they should and if they are anything like my honeybee it will be a hassle to fly it plus wont wind affect them more than the nitro?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Cyberfyn

I know what you're saying. It's true that the bigger the heli the better they fly.... But they also cost a LOT more to fix

Learing to fly on a 30 size heli is not a problem, so the Caliber would make a great (and cheap) entry into nitro helicopters. I'm just giving you options is all. The 400 size collective pitch electric helicopters that are all over ebay and the stores fly really well, and just like a bigger helicopter. I use my Mars 480 more than my bigger nitro machines now. Quick, clean and does not upset the neighbors!

But it is a buzz to get my Caliber out, especially as I've upgraded her to the max now!

Ian F.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Igotntc3andrevo

wow that looks amazing how long do you think parts will be out there for the caliber 30 im going to the shop tomorrow so i will snap some photos of the one they are trying to sale me and post them up
Old 05-08-2008, 07:26 PM
JFERA22

Hi cyberfyn jfera22 here i was just wondering where you picked up that washout unit the one in your pic. very nice head setup by the way. all you need is some nice carbon blades to match right on good job on that. It's JOE by the eway
Old 05-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Cyberfyn

Hi Joe. The washout is made by Correct Japan. They make a lot of Kyosho upgrades.... Not sure on the availability for you though. I have some nice SAB Carbon blades, just not in the picture is all

It flys so well now all the plastic has gone. Absolutely NO slop at all. Plus with an Hatori pipe and OS 37S-ZH it really buzzes

Parts for the Cal will be available for years to come, and old airframes will always be popping up on eBay, so you should be OK for a long while. Hell I still fly a 20 year old Concept 30 SR-T and I can still get parts for her.

Ian F.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:11 PM
JFERA22

Wow thats good Ian thanks for the come back are you saying you cant get thoes metel washouyt arms ? or does correct japan have parts? If so do you have a web page I can go to and take a look? I got ahold of the CNC washout Radias block nice and polished from Chris at RC heliworks. any way if you have some sources for upgrade parts and would'nt mind passing them on that would be great Thanks Ian. JOE
Old 05-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Igotntc3andrevo

Alright Cyberfyn thats good news...i am going to look at the copter on sat. and will take photos of it and its electronics and will post them here so you can give me idea of if you feel its a good buy or not.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Cyberfyn

Here's where I got my bits from.......

http://www.modelhelicopters.co.uk/ac...Caliber30.html

Ian F.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Igotntc3andrevo

Ok Cyberfyn I got bad news went to look at the copter found out after reading the name on the side its a Kyosho Nexus 30. im getting the photos uploaded now.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Igotntc3andrevo

photos

Old 05-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Igotntc3andrevo

sorry about the size i dont know how to enlarge them
Old 05-10-2008, 08:51 PM
JFERA22

Thanks for the link IAN I appreciate it JOE
Old 05-11-2008, 02:35 AM
Cyberfyn

Nexus = Don't bother... Been out of production even longer

Shame.

Keep looking though. Try and get a Raptor 30 V2 if you really want to go nitro. LOADS of parts and hop-ups available.

Ian F.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:56 AM
Igotntc3andrevo

Hey Ian thanks alot for all the help....looks like the search continues. I will definitely get back to you if i do find something good.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:01 PM
machdiamond

Default RE: 300 For a rtf kyosho 30? !!!!!!! photos added

Ian has a good point there - the Raptors are popular world-wide, especially in the US, and Taiwanese products are awesome. Electric heli's are cool, low noise, no glow-goop all over everything and cheap to run but man, that sweet smell of nitro fumes! Wind affects heli's relative to their rotor diameter/weight combination so electrics are not necessary more susceptable to wind.

Get a set of big training skids (prevents blades striking ground if landing a bit odd and adds extra inertial moment - more stability) and start with bunny-hops, loads of sim time and the chance of crashing is very small if you just take it easy. The bigger heli's are far more stable but watch out for the power - they go fast, quick! My Freya, in low wind, will just sit there and you can literally take your hands of the controlls. If you can afford, jump straight to a 50 size as this will alow for later skill growth, I get a little nervous when hovering my Caliber 3 upside down (low climb-out performance) and it didn't take long before I splurged on a 90, the thing does however drink fuel like crazy...[]