Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Kyosho Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Need help with Caliber 30 clutch problem.

Notices
Kyosho Helicopters Discuss all Kyosho heli topics here.

Need help with Caliber 30 clutch problem.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Wingdinger2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Caliber 30 clutch problem.

I've been flying a Caliber 30 on and off for a little while now, it's my first REAL helicopter, been going great until just the other evening. I was trying to start it, I use a drill with a cutoff 6 mm allen wrench, I hit the trigger and something immediately jammed up, and it would not turn anymore. After checking it out, it appears the clutch worked itself loose and jammed itself and the cooling fan up against the housing. Is the crankshaft threaded? I can't think what else would make it do that, and if so, how do I fix it? The first photo is of the engine and clutch, showing the clutch out of place, in the second you can see the fan jammed against the housing. I need help on this, I'm new to it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68837.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1225204   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45523.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1225205  
Old 06-27-2009, 03:16 AM
Kevinator9

Default RE: Need help with Caliber 30 clutch problem.

Wow thats jammed up pretty hard!
The crankshaft sure is threaded. there is a piece which threads into the clutch and that same piece threads onto the crankshaft. One of the threads is reversed, the one that holds onto the clutch but that part looks as if its ok...
Looks like the blue thread lock has given up the go. I personally use red loctite on the clutch because I have had the same problem. Although don't use to much red loctite otherwise you'll never get the clutch off if it breaks (also from personal experience :P)

You'll need to drop out the whole engine and clutch assembly.
Unscrew the three screws on each side of the heli screwing into the engine mount.
Unscrew the two screws holding the fan and starter coupling on the shaft and the whole engine/clutch should slide out the bottom...
Pop off the clutch bell and bearings and screw the fan back on the shaft. This is so you can unscrew the clutch shaft from the crankshaft.
Once you have the clutch shaft off of the crankshaft you need to clean the threads and put some new loctite on (go with the red stuff but go easy with it).
Put it all back together and with a new fan you should be away! (You'll need to loctite the screws that go into the fan too, again I use red here because I've had them pop out in flight when I used blue but you can get away with blue.)
Also remember to loctite any other screw that screws into metal with blue loctite (don't use the red for anything else, it is very strong).

Exploded view number 3 you can see the different shafts etc.
http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/in...aliber30_t.pdf

Hope this helps, if you need any more help don't be afraid to ask!
Old 06-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Wingdinger2

Whew, thanks a lot for that info, that'll at least get me started. Where do you get this Loctite anyway? Thanks again!
Old 06-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Kevinator9

Any good hobby shop should have it, even hardware/automotive stores should... It's technically called threadlock (loctite is a brand name like cellotape).
Old 06-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Wingdinger2

Ok, unfortunately there aren't any hobby shops in the area, but I'll start checking around. I do have the engine off now, and am ready to fix it as soon as I get some threadlocker. The fan actually appears fine, even though it looked bad in the pics, it's made of some really tough stuff. Again, thanks so much for your help, I greatly appreciate it!
Old 06-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Kevinator9

Best to make sure all those fins are still good, they provide cooling to the engine and clutch but if it still works well it should be alright.
Remember to check the automotive shops, they usually have it

No problem, it's good to keep everyone in the air!
Old 07-20-2009, 04:31 PM
sigpe57

Home Depot has red locktite for $5.99 a small bottle.

Same thing happened to me. I used blue-loctite first. It all came lose 3 times. I finally uses red Loctite. It works now. I was able to break in my 0S 37 engine now.

Regarding remove the clutch assembly from the engine, Kyosho has an article on it.

All Caliber Series - Clutch shaft removal
The easiest way to remove the clutch on the Caliber series helicopters is to first remove the clutch bell and reinstall the starter shaft screws tightly. This is important as you will use them as a removal device. Next remove the backing plate on the motor and place a wooden dowel or soft plastic toothbrush in the hole in the crankshaft so the engine can't turn past center due to the connecting rod hitting the dowel. If you have a factory installed engine there has been loctite added during the installation of the clutch shaft therefore it will be easier if you use a torch to heat up the clutch shaft so it spins off with less effort. Once you have heated up the clutch shaft you need to use either an adjustable wrench of a set of pliers on the shaft where the bolts are installed to grip and turn the shaft off. If this is done correctly you will not damage any components. If you use pliers make sure to grip only the bolts so you do not damage the clutch shaft or you may have difficulty reinstalling the clutch bell. You should not use the fan hex start bolt to remove the shaft as it can spin loose inside the fan housing and then no longer function to start the helicopter therefore requiring a replacement.

I used the fan hex start bolt to install the clutch. I don't know why you don't use the same way to install the clutch. The manual only tells you how to assemble the clutch assembly. Never tells you how to dissemble.

I think hydrolock is the reason the clutch assembly comes loose. The helicoppter electric starter spins counter-clockwise when starting the helicopter. The same direction you loose the clutch assembly. If you have a hydro-lock but keep pressing on the electric starter, the torque generated by the starter will eventually push the clutch/fan assembly loose.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Wingdinger2

Thanks for all the replies, I finally got're done. Picked up the Loctite at Advance and did the job, hopefully I can get it in the air tonight.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Kevinator9

Wow I wouldn't have used the pliers on the shaft eh, don't know why kyosho reccommend that... I have always used the hex bit in the fan with an allen key to get the clutch on and off but each to their own.
Sounds like it is going well! Hope you can get back to enjoying your heli once again.