RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kyosho Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kyosho-helicopters-215/)
-   -   Older Kyosho Concept (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kyosho-helicopters-215/2071789-older-kyosho-concept.html)

SQUARE ROOT 08-10-2004 11:40 AM

Older Kyosho Concept

I recently got an older Kyosho heli that has a cone starter in the rear, a mechanical Gyro, a new OS engine, and all the radio gear. Is this Heli worth upgrading or is it what IT IS? It has never been flown but is ready to set up and fly. This will only be my second heli. My first was an electric LMH Corona which I flew the heck out of.

Any advice out there?

AutoMike 08-10-2004 12:39 PM

RE: Older Kyosho Concept

most likely a Concept 30 but they did make a 60 size one too, look for a size on the motor. I'd fly it, I've heard they were good helis. Upgrading the gyro and radio gear wont hurt anything cause you can take it to another heli even if this one turns out to be a lemon.

bdphil 08-10-2004 03:30 PM

Providing everything is in good condition, go ahead and fly it. The concept helis fly fine for a beginner ship. The problem is that parts are sometimes hard to find. I wouldn't go crazy upgrading anything except maybe the gyro, but the mechanical ones work fine for basic hovering practice.

I was out flying my 15yr old concept 30 last week. It still hovers pretty solid and is really smooth in forward flight. Aerobatics are pretty much out of the question with it though.

Ben

SQUARE ROOT 08-11-2004 02:10 PM

Thanks for the input guys. That is exactly what I was looking for. I will give it a try. I really want something more aerobatic, because I maxed out my first heli's aerobatic capabilities, but this will be good to get use to the feel of CP as apposed to my non collective Corona.

Sarah 08-13-2004 09:50 AM

Though the early Concepts are limited in pitch range, they can loop and roll very well. The later ones with the SR-X pitch slider and mixer have a lot larger pitch range and can fly inverted or start you out on the 3D route.

Spares are available, look for the later model replacement parts - SR-X as oppossed to SE/DX.

Regards,

Sarah

SQUARE ROOT 08-19-2004 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
gotta love the manual on this one though.

littlepiston 10-10-2005 12:10 PM

go for it i fly mine i have upgraded it to the srx with the c30 dx canopy they fly great ,ill see about posting pics

qwerty3 10-14-2005 02:23 PM

I had one given to me about a year + 1/2 ago, very similar situation. There must have been tons of those things sold! You'll have a tougher time flying it with the mechanical gyro. Be VERY skeptical of the radio batteries - they've probably shorted out by now.
I just recently sold the mechanics; kept the engine. The big hassle with Kyosho is parts availability. You'll have a hard time finding them; 'Ricks' still has a pretty good stock. Kyosho seems to be having problems with part distribution, especially lately. Tower Hobbies used to carry Kyosho heli parts, but has discontinued almost all. I see in their new adds they're listing Century stuff instead. I wonder what Kyosho plans to do for parts availability in the US?
I just recently sold the mechanics (to 'littlepiston', no less!); kept the engine. The reason I sold my Concept was just that - the hassle of getting the parts. I spent some bucks to get a Raptor instead. It doesn't fly the same - seems 'twitchy' in comparison (but I'm getting used to it), and it seems awfully heavy to fly with a plane-jane .32, but it does fly. The big plus is parts ARE available - I have (2) local sources, and a bunch of internet sources. And, you WILL need parts - due to crashes at first, but as things wear out.
You could fly the concept - pretty much as is - until something wears out, or you crash it; and then start over with another machine - ? Depending on what the radio is, you may be able to use the radio & engine on a different machine. So, you probably don't have much to lose (assuming you got it cheap / free!)
On the other hand, if you're ambitious, you could retrofit parts from other machines as needed. Century Hawk parts should be pretty close for some of the pieces.

Dialarotor 10-15-2005 07:58 AM

If it is a Concept 30 DX or SE, it is a fun little heli, and lots of parts are on EBAY for those who wait. If the gyro is a Futaba 154 it works well enough, but will wear out after about a year of flying, the Futaba 153 is a ball bearing version with two ranges of sensitivity and will last and work a little better. The GY240 would be a nice entry level gyro to replace one of the previous gyros. For a few more dollars a GY401 would be best and work great with a Futaba 9254 gyro for your 2nd helicopter.
Back to the Concept, if it is a SX, SR-X, VR, Nexus, these are very capable helicopters. Once again you will have to search the web for parts to keep them going.
I have been flying Kyosho Concept helicopters for 16 years. I have just sold 5 of the older Concept 60's and still fly a Kyosho Concept 60 SRII and am about to build a second one from a NIB purchasefrom EBAY. It is too bad Kyosho hasn't supported these older machines and gave away the market to the Raptor. Great Planes/Tower is responsible for that. Thankfully KYOSH is coming back as a stand alone company in America and the Caliber 30 is a good flying, good value helicopter. Can't wait to get a Caliber 5. Sure wish they had a Caliber 6 priced like the Raptor 60. The high end Caliber 60/90 is ridiculous.

Dialarotor

littlepiston 10-15-2005 11:10 PM

did you sell me the srx?? or the dx/sr-t or the other dx ??? i have five now :D

ORIGINAL: qwerty3

I had one given to me about a year + 1/2 ago, very similar situation. There must have been tons of those things sold! You'll have a tougher time flying it with the mechanical gyro. Be VERY skeptical of the radio batteries - they've probably shorted out by now.
I just recently sold the mechanics; kept the engine. The big hassle with Kyosho is parts availability. You'll have a hard time finding them; 'Ricks' still has a pretty good stock. Kyosho seems to be having problems with part distribution, especially lately. Tower Hobbies used to carry Kyosho heli parts, but has discontinued almost all. I see in their new adds they're listing Century stuff instead. I wonder what Kyosho plans to do for parts availability in the US?
I just recently sold the mechanics (to 'littlepiston', no less!); kept the engine. The reason I sold my Concept was just that - the hassle of getting the parts. I spent some bucks to get a Raptor instead. It doesn't fly the same - seems 'twitchy' in comparison (but I'm getting used to it), and it seems awfully heavy to fly with a plane-jane .32, but it does fly. The big plus is parts ARE available - I have (2) local sources, and a bunch of internet sources. And, you WILL need parts - due to crashes at first, but as things wear out.
You could fly the concept - pretty much as is - until something wears out, or you crash it; and then start over with another machine - ? Depending on what the radio is, you may be able to use the radio & engine on a different machine. So, you probably don't have much to lose (assuming you got it cheap / free!)
On the other hand, if you're ambitious, you could retrofit parts from other machines as needed. Century Hawk parts should be pretty close for some of the pieces.

Broken 11-29-2005 02:56 PM

My apologies for this late post but I wanted to offer up an alternative to flying your concept.

I recently parted out my C30 on E-Bay and raised enough money from it to buy a new heli from tower (Century Hawk Pro) no plug intended. Concept replacement parts are in short supply and demand is still high. I only say this because of you get your heli tangled up replacement parts will cost you a premium compared to current production heli's

Century 179.00 after Tower promo -20.00
New .37 engine E-bay 45.00
Same old radio gear Free-

Total 224.00

Sold my concept parts for $220.00

Just my .02.....

mikewinter 02-14-2006 09:01 PM

where can i get a starting motor to fit a concept 30 and what size blades do they carry so i can get spares. can i get them from tower hobbies or where i can get them from

mikewinter 03-31-2006 10:08 AM

Hi i have a Concept 30 DX and i am looking for blades anybody know where i can get them from. thanks mike

FenderBean 04-15-2006 04:33 PM

i just started restoring these guys i have got 2 extra concept 30 dx in my trades to get the concept 10 and concept EP
i have extra everything im willing to trade for Concept 60, concept 10, and the concept EP....................i have 3 sets of the orig foamy blades and one set of glass blades, just FYI.

To the person of the orig post can u send me some pics of your heli? My concept 30 SE i just finished is the newest looking one i have seen since they came out years ago = ) My EP is almost perfect cond also, it is missing blades but i have 3 sets on the way YAY! MY 60 and 10 are in the works of being restored both are fully flyable but i like to clean them back up and replace all warn parts to a near perfect machine. GO CONCEPTS

PS looking to get a hold of a Concept 60SR and and maybe and SRX or one of the later ones

jony gallo 07-26-2007 11:08 AM

hey guys um sorry to bud in on the conversation:D but you know that starter cone square root was talking abaut. do u know were i can find one. i already tride ebay but no luck. many thanx ;)

toriyo 07-30-2007 03:55 PM

I have a Kyosho Concept 10 helicopter, I lost the main blades and I want to buy a replacement. I know that its an very old model, I don't know I f you can tell which for a recently model I can use or the length of the blades?

Please send me you response to this email: [email protected]
Thanks

jcervantes11 06-23-2008 12:16 AM

Well I have a helipro black hawk 500 it uses a 15 size engine thats because i have a pro version of it. But the kit usually come with a 12 engine. Try out the blade on urs.

qwerty3 07-12-2008 06:14 PM

As to the starter for the 'cone start' - you just need a standard airplane 'spinner' starting cup - like the 'plankers' (almost) all use.
If I remember right, the 'foamy' blades were 515 mm - kindof an odd size: also, I don't think the standard grip feathering bearings were very good for heavier blades (i.e. cut down some standard 550 mm woodies).

On the other hand, the Concept 30 was a lighter heli than my Raptor 30. Begin: Rant: Why can't today's manufacturers take that hint, and make a heli that weighs what a 30 can reliably lift - even on a hot summer day? IMHO, the Raptor 30 should really be called a "Raptor 40" - cuz with a 32, its not very zippy. End: Rant:

Wireless 11-19-2009 03:24 PM

Hi guys,

I'm a bit late to the party but wanted to comment for posterity anyway. The Concept 30 was a great helicopter in it's day. It was one of the first truly affordable and easy to use model helicopters along with the Hirobo Shuttle.

Nowadays things have moved on. Manufacturing ability, materials quality and rc helicopter know-how mean the Concept 30 is far behind it's modern equivalents. This doesn't mean the Concept 30 is no good, it's wonderful to fly lazily on a Sunday afternoon wallowing in nostalgia - especially so if you have one of the rare 'bleach bottle' fuselage kits.

The Concept 30 is not a helicopter for beginners in this day and age. Scarce parts availabilty have seen to that, but it's still a cracking little helicopter for leisurely flying.

Of course the EP Concept, Concept 10, Concept 32 VR Concept 46 VR and Concept 60 series were also quite unique and great helis in their own right.

If you're a fan of the whole Concept series, you might want to have a look at my website which is dedicated to these helicopters and the small collection I have built up. Feel free to have a look at www.concept30.co.uk

Cheers,

Wireless

mikewinter 11-20-2009 02:22 PM

Hi i have a Concept 30 DX with a os 32 and would like to know what is the best RPM for it. thanks mike

Wireless 11-20-2009 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: mikewinter

Hi i have a Concept 30 DX with a os 32 and would like to know what is the best RPM for it. thanks mike
Hi Mike,

I genuinely have no idea, but I wouldn't worry unduly for several reasons:

1. The Concept series was designed with .28 to .32 motors in mind, the OS in particular. You aren't overpowering it.
2. These helis were flown before the days of governors and measuring rotor rpm.
3. The blades on the DX are short (500mm) and light so loads at high rpm are minimised.

BUT

1. The DX did not feature thrust bearings on the head, and as such, high rpm can lock up the pitch. If you get pitch locks, you're running too high.
2. People run modern blades on DXs. Up to 550mm (way too big if you ask me - max 515mm on a 'shortie') and fibreglass (heavy). Loads go up.

All helis fly a little different based on weight, CofG, pitch and throttle curves so what suits one DX may not suit another. Unless you are extracting absolute maximum performance from your heli, chasing the numbers on a tacho and nailing headspeeds with governors rarely end up being beneficial. Fly the heli by feel and sound and with a little experiementation you'll soon find what's comfortable for your particular heli.

Hope this helps,

Rup

camron_1994 01-14-2010 02:22 PM

hi im new here i was just wondering if anyone had a manual either in book form or online/e-mail form for the kyosho concept/30 helicopter, all help will be apreciated, Many thanks.

mikewinter 01-16-2010 07:52 PM

Hi try this link and see if it help u

http://www.rchelibase.com/concept/c30dxse-1.pdf

WildHair! 01-21-2010 11:44 PM

Hi,

I have a Concept 30 SR-X Iwould like to sell, but don't know how much to ask for it. It is in new condition, Ibought it at an auction several years ago with the intent to fly it, but never did. It does not look like it has ever been flown. I also has a OS32SX engine. No radio gear or anything, just the heli, engine, and foam boom mounted blade holder.

Thanks,

Mike.</p>

jtjeep75 01-26-2010 03:04 PM

check e bay and some of the listings on here to get a ballpark price. it really just depends on who is looking on any given day. most people buy them for parts which arent made any more.