RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kyosho Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kyosho-helicopters-215/)
-   -   Is anyone fliying the caliber 5? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kyosho-helicopters-215/7193082-anyone-fliying-caliber-5-a.html)

KFK 03-08-2008 06:03 AM

Is anyone fliying the caliber 5?

Hi All
Is anyone flying the caliber 5? If you are what are your opinions of it, i'm thinking of getting one. Any input/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All
KFK

fasterjman 03-27-2008 09:14 AM

RE: Is anyone fliying the caliber 5?

I will have one tomorrow or Saturday and will fly it sometimes next week. Il let you know how it goes. Are you a beginner or looking for the next heli?

BarracudaHockey 03-27-2008 01:00 PM

I've seen one and they are not a bad little helicopter but they are overwhelmed in popularity and parts and support by the Raptor and 600n

JFERA22 03-28-2008 02:05 AM

[8D] I ghave got one half built with ems linkage up grade in it I'v been taking my time to get it right maybe we can start some fresh form subjucts on the caliber 5 I will do my part i'm going to start taking some pics. during the build i'll see if i can share some with whoever is interested. the parts have become avalible from a lot of different distributers. you just have to dig and make phone calls. i'v got a few if anyone is working on the cal-5. some advanced pilots I 'v met throughout. a few other forums know a lot mor than me. But i'm willing to share what I got. just ask? I see a few spider webs in between new poast thats too bad. I think if you build it right it will stand up to any in it's class,and similar body material. I think it's a good bird. It don't mater how much you spend !! I'ts who does the set up and how good they could fly it. THE ROTORS WILL BE ROTATING SHORTLEY! RIGHT SINIORS?

flyinsolo11 03-30-2008 04:23 PM

Am I finding correctly that a new set of blades runs at 70 bucks?

Thanks

JFERA22 03-31-2008 09:29 AM

I will have some pics. for you guys soon . of soom modifications I made. Keep thoes rotors turning!! Oh and top off the tank and batt!!!.

flyinsolo11 03-31-2008 11:26 AM

Jefra- am I correct that new blades are 70 dollars?

Thanks

JFERA22 03-31-2008 11:29 AM

yEA i'M NOT SURE MINE ARE STILL BRAND NEW ,IT CAME WITH CF. BLADES LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU BUY.

flyinsolo11 03-31-2008 12:51 PM

I am asking because I am considering getting this heli. I dont want to get it though if every time I crash, it is going to be a min. of 70 bucks, you know?

I can get this bird for $300. However, that is without servos, Rx, Tx, or battery- is that a decent buy?

Thanks!

JFERA22 03-31-2008 07:12 PM

hay whats up it should come with stock carbon fiber blades most of the kyosho's do so if you are worried about messing up the nice blades just buy some cheep wood one's,or any old cheepees,just make sure they are the right size!! but think positive they are not going to touch the ground !!!right

[]TEX[] 03-31-2008 07:19 PM

On a Kyosho, a crash will be a minimum of $150, expect that.

flyinsolo11 03-31-2008 07:48 PM

Wow, thanks for the heads up, Tex. I dont have that kind of dough laying around just yet. I think I will wait a few years...

Back to the HBK2. Thanks guys.

fasterjman 03-31-2008 09:49 PM

Yeah, I have to agree...if you are on a tight budget...the bigger they are the harder they fall. I have a JR ERGO 60 with V2 3D Carbon blades on the main, paddles and tail. The main rotors alone are $190. Plus, they quit making it 5 years ago, so parts are out of the question. However...The larger the heli the more stable it is so the easier it is to fly. This translates into a crash being less likely but not impossible. I would reccomend a 30 size heli as they are WAY more stable than the little electrics, cost about the same to repair, and are more economical in my opinion with the conveniece of fuel and fly. Its your call, just take your time and consider whats best for you, we shouldn't be making up your mind for you as you are the one who will have to fly what you buy. Jeff

flyinsolo11 03-31-2008 10:31 PM

Thanks for your input, Jeff.

I will take a look at the 30's.

fasterjman 04-10-2008 03:28 PM

Here is a link to me flying the Caliber 5. www.youtube.com/fasterjman Jeff

JFERA22 04-24-2008 06:38 AM

Hi fasterjman jfera22 here nice flying . I was takeing a look at your cal.-5 when you landed did you change out th rudder control linkage to a CF.ROD. I didn't see it that clear ?I was thinking about doing that with mine I dong like how the stock one rides. If so what size rod did you use and is it a stright shot with no rod guides? What is your gyro and tail servo? If you are using guides which ones are they? If you dont mind I thank you in advance if you can get back to me!. Did you paint your own canopy or do they actually sell ones for the cal-5 already painted, yea right wishfull thinking. where do you like to shop for parts? I'm just about done with mine I have been takeing my time and getting it right , inbetween sholder surgury and having a baby. any way i would apprreciate it if you can reply thanks jfera22/aka Joe

fasterjman 04-24-2008 07:11 AM

Hey Joe,
In the video I am using a GY401 gyro and a Futaba S9254 servo on the tail. I was not getting the piro rate I wanted, so I have changed the gyro and servo out so that I am using a JR G5000T gyro. Its pretty fast. everything is stock on the heli except the horizontal/vertical/tail blades are carbon fiber. The canopy was prepainted when i bought the heli used and the paint has come off since the video so I have to get a new canopy ($75 for plastic). I also have removed the horizontal/vertical stabilizers as well. As for parts, Heliproz is usuall pretty good about having the parts I need in stock and being reasonably priced. I am selling this heli in the ads if you guys would be interested. Jeff

JFERA22 04-24-2008 08:48 PM

Hi Jeff thank you for the come back!. and sharing yor info with me!!. 75$ for plastic thats ridiculous, I will mold my own before I spend that on plastic I have worked with fiber glass and carbon fiber cloth quite a bit. On the tail would you say that the JR5000T works better than the Futaba 401 with S9254 servo? or did you just cahnge to get more rate? I will take a look at your add andkeep it in mind. Are you getting out of heli's or are you just upgrading? And if so what are you looking at? Hay jeff thanks again for the response keep in touch we will talk to you later Joe.

fasterjman 04-24-2008 08:55 PM

Hey, No problem Joe. I switched the gyros for a rate increase. I have decided to get out of the hobby for a while so that I can put all my money towards flight training. I am selling all my hobby stuff (see classifieds) as it is costing me $60000 for school. If you have anyquestions, please feel free to pm me and I will give you my e-mail or phone number so that if you have any questions, I can see if I can help you out. Jeff

[]TEX[] 04-24-2008 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: JFERA22
75$ for plastic thats ridiculous,
It's a Kyosho, everything for it is three times more than any other heli around.

JFERA22 04-24-2008 10:55 PM

Hi Jeff thank you for the offer to your knowldge I will PM you if I have any Questions. Good luck on your schooling wow Idon't think your classfied's are going to cover that. hay every little bit, makes a lot. i will let you know if I get stuck somewhere along the line. to: tex indeed it is a kyosho probably my first and last bad tech. support I would pay for parts if there quality. you pay once but not 75$ for a plastic Hat! I like the c5 just a little on the heavy side but they have to get their act tpgether on the support end of it. talk to you later joe.

mirmanchuck 04-26-2008 10:40 AM

I have been flying one for a year and love it.

kraffty 09-05-2008 09:16 PM

Good heli...Mine is 2 years old. The only problem i had is for some reason I loose orientation with it and come close to crashing..dont have that problem with my raptors and hawk pros.

mirmanchuck 09-06-2008 07:09 AM

Kyosho also makes a ccpm linkage kit. You can get it from Heliproz for 35$ Getting one for mine! Comes with everthing you need to convert to ccpm. Uses same swashplate.

mirmanchuck 09-06-2008 08:27 AM

Vibe 90 parts are the most expensive parts on the planet! New bevel gear is 45$