Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

cv 12 mounted on lmh 117

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

cv 12 mounted on lmh 117

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Peter_d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cv 12 mounted on lmh 117

Hi all,

These movies are of Lawrence Lau's modified LMH
Lawrence was kind enough to send me these movies soo I thought, why not upload them for everyone to see.

http://www.vimeo.com/1751355

//Peter
Old 09-17-2008, 08:14 AM
lawrencelkl

Hey All,

Well done Peter for uploading the videos for me. thanks a lot. I have changed the glow plug to a cooler OS A5 type last week and the engine performance had improved a lot with less heating. I am flying on shorter blades now as I am still due to order new sets of longer blades.

my current main gear has 2-3 stripped teeth but it is still turning and flying ok so i will only change when i get new gears.

Cheers

Lawrence
Old 09-18-2008, 02:55 PM
jcervantes11
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL thats one annoying 049 oldschool sound. LOL thanks for posting it. Is this is the .074 engine? actually I always loved the
annoying sound from these engine, sound like a cox engine. LOL
Old 09-19-2008, 10:26 AM
lawrencelkl

Hi Jim,

well, I always loved Cox engines as well but unfortunately this one is much bigger , it is an OS .15 CZ-H. I think it is noisier than it should be due to an old muffler gasket.
however, it will never go under power anymore and i can go out there in the field and fly all day long.

Current set up is Associated (car) 16 teeth clutch bell, 6 dots blade holders with shorter blades OR 4 dots blade holders with longer blades. both flying well although the engine runs a bit cooler with the longer blades set up.

and the fuel i am using is model technics 30% nitro and with an OS A5 medium cold glow plug. runs and idle really well.

I just went flying again and it is much better than the video now. I think it is time to think of a nice fuzz/body to put on it as it really deserves it! Any inputs?!

Cheers
Lawrence
Old 09-19-2008, 02:35 PM
jcervantes11

Heh, . Yea I always wanted a lite mechine, their so little and stuff. Instead I went for a helipro black hawk 500 which uses a 15 engine. But if trade
go well, i will have a lite 117. Hope it flies with the engine. Can you post some more pics of your heli with you're mod? Yea in those vid you're engine
wasn't running how it suppose to. Hope you did got it sounding like a heli. I wunder, if we can do something about the fixpitch head and remove it
and put some kind of cp head. HMMMmmmm. So is now litre mechine discontinue these models? Are they going to release a new model? Or going
out of business just because novels?
Old 09-19-2008, 03:50 PM
lawrencelkl

Hi Jim,

i think i saw some post about cp head of lmh ( maybe by Ballistic Technology?) But honestly (talking about glow) if you can tune your engine well with good blade pitch set up etc, you will get it flying well with the fixed pitch.

i followed some earlier post and installed an OS CZ-H .15 engine ( which was running a small hirobo MH-10) . i used to fly this LMH 100+ with a norvel Vmax 6 engine but it gets over heat and losing power unless it is in cold winter. and i also heard the forum talking about the problem with con rod of Vmax 7 engine so i changed the engine to a .15.

with a custom made wooden engine mount, i do not have to extend the main shaft , jsut adjust it such that the pinion on the clutch will align well with main gear. then i used a steel cable in a plastic sleeve for a 90 degree bend throttle control ( the sleeve is yellow in color if you see from the photo) then i jsut use some rubber band to attach a 4 oz fuel tank. i used to use a 2 oz fuel tank and jsut recently using 4oz, i timed with the 4 oz fuel tank this evening , and it was about 8 minutes for a 80% full tank.

oh yes, i am using a piezo gyro, and u cna see how it is taped on the clutch.
cheers

Lawrence
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83682.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1036289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71586.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1036290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38059.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1036291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo38133.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1036292  
Old 09-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Peter_d

Hey Lawrence,
It's looking good...

One thing though, can't you turn the muffler upside down so you get the exhaust hole further down and then less mess. ??
or is the carburator needle straight under it ?

Regarding your question about landing gear, have a look at these. Supposed to be unbreakable...
http://www.heliguy.com/Brands/Gorilla-Gear/
Just make a couple of L-profiles from some Alu. and attach them to the heli and the gear...

//Peter
Old 09-20-2008, 04:01 AM
lawrencelkl

Hi Peter,

Yes, you are right, it could be of less mess if the exhaust outlet is downwards, but as you already suspected, the needle is rextricting such configuration. i used to have a pipe attached to the outlet which helps direct the exhaust gas further away from the body but i lost it. as it is running with mostly synthetic lubricant rather than all castor now, it is less oily from the gas so i can wipe away parts near to it after each day's flight.

i have made a small square wooden reinforcement plate to sandwich the rear landing gear ( as u can see from the pic) and it is holding the heli very well now. but i will try to get the landing gear u recommend when i am ordering the canopy. do you know which canopy will fix the size of lmh? i.e. Trex 450, TT mini titan, Zoom 450 etc? these canopy is cheaper to get locally and worth trying perhaps.

cheers

today i will mess around with a .30 Kyosho Nexus after 1 hour flying with the lmh last evening
Happy flying
Lawrence
Old 09-20-2008, 11:19 PM
jcervantes11

well lmh is not a 450 size but a 370 size? Between both, yea it should work. I've seen a guy using a trex 450 canopy for helimax axe LOL.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:41 AM
Peter_d

Hi all,

I think the canopy on the T-rex450 is to small for the LMH, maybe you could try a T-rex500 or the 600 canopy,
or you could go with Darthdrk canopies..

//Peter
Old 09-22-2008, 02:09 AM
jcervantes11

*** you are saying LMH is bigger then my helipro 15 size heli? Or Bigger then that other 18 size helicopters? Man .74 powering a 500 size heli would be crazy. Unbelieveble!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:15 AM
jcervantes11

Okay I take it back maybe a 450 size canopy like trex might fit in, I have seen a guy using a 450 trex canopy on a helipro 500, protech 450ic. But man, lmh what is the
biggiest size of theirs, and how long is their rotor head? Mine is 355mm Whats the longiest you can use on lmh?
Old 09-22-2008, 02:51 AM
Peter_d

Hi Jim,

Yeah, I totaly agree with you ".74 powering a 500 size heli would be crazy" in this case it's more about the design of the crutch...
The LMH crutch is about 8" from the main shaft to the front and 4" high.
Like I said in my earlier post "I think the canopy.." It would be great if fit, if it does I'll get one for sure..

//Peter
Old 09-22-2008, 03:00 AM
jcervantes11

Well since i'm thinking about that, it depend how small the nose of the heli, and well my heli is a little wide, man yup i've seen a trex 450 size canopy fit on my 500 size. So no biggie here. Let LMH have some air you know. Is all discontinue yet? Why? Damn, i love these 500 heli and below. Darn......... Whos next to create a 500 and under helicopter?
Yea we heard of esky, scrach them down. We need 500 and below helis in this earth. Lets stop flying and go to praying because man.... Ucontrol is dead, now 1/2a heli going
to die quick? No, I cant accept this bs. Our servos getting smaller, receiver, we need 1/2a live again. FOR GOD SAKE, BLESS US 1/2A FLYERS, WE NEED IT!!!

P.S Who wants mini heli flying little 1/2a engine? COX HELP US!!!!!!!! NOVEL IS SO GONE, WE HAVE FAITH ON YA GUYS. I remember pt-19. Flew it with my dad 94
now I am into RC. Cox can help. We need to do some advising to them. I love cox.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:02 AM
jcervantes11

Cox went farther then 1/2a engine... Now their into brushless, *** lazy foos
Old 04-27-2009, 07:49 AM
lawrencelkl

Hey folks,

anyone tried out other things on lmh? following some nice flying with OS.15 cz engine as posted earlier, i have recently put a new force.12 car engine into my lmh. The reason is the os 'test' was to experiment the mounting /gear etc before spending $$ to get a new engine for it. Knowing that it will surely work, the new egnine arrived and i am now breaking in and mounted well on the crutch. The old OS will continue as a test plant in a newly rebuilt well used Kyosho pureten Alpha car.

Thanks for all helps and advices on this interesting conversion especially Peter_D. I am also ordering a new Hitec micro servo as the old one is having some glitches with certain position on the cyclic. will keep you guy posted on my progress and upload some photos as appropriate!

Cheers and enjoy flying!

Lawrence
Old 04-27-2009, 01:04 PM
jcervantes11

hey have you seen this? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXDH8&P=0 Its a corona made from someone else
Old 04-27-2009, 03:55 PM
lawrencelkl

Hi,

yes, i just found out about the funcopter by multiplex. i read through their description and it was stated that it based on the patented LMH. it has a direct drive with brushless motor. although the main frame is quite different i suppose at least some parts are interchangeable with lmh.

Got my new hitec micro servo in today so can start touching up my old lmh with .12 new engine now.

Lawrence
Old 04-27-2009, 04:11 PM
jcervantes11

let me know how it came out. I wanna do that too on my lmh. I need to install an engine. I have an .16 from red cat racing cars.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Peter_d

Hey Lawrence,
Good to here that your LMH is still flying.
For the moment I'm totaly into pusher jets made out of depron but once I finish my F-117 (next couple of days) I will dust of my LMH and order a new car engine.
You have to keep us posted on how the Force 12 engine turns out, here's an article if you want to squeeze out some more out of it.
http://www.nitrorc.com/mods/engines/...ngine_mods.htm

How much did you pay for the engine and what kind of muffler are you going to use ?
I'm thinking of buying a LEO .12 engine for my LMH.. Does anyone have any experience with this brand ??
//Peter
Old 05-18-2009, 05:22 AM
lawrencelkl

Hi Peter,

Hope your pusher jets projects are giving you enough fun! Yes, the lmh is is flying well with the new force .12 car engine. it is currently on the longer blade version and it is working really fine. The muffler is a HPI car muffler that i got it somewhere, I just finished breaking in the engine not long ago and i am going to fine tune the engine for better throttle response. i bought this brand new with a hand hold starter unit with battery for £ 42.00

I might be able to drag a friend along this Friday to shoot some video/photos and share it with you guys.

Jim,

upgrade the engine and you will enjoy flying the lmh. although i am flying it without canopy, the cosmetic does not bother me at all and i really enjoy it! Good thing is i cna jsut put it into a plastic bag, get on my bike and cycle to the field without carrying the heavy starter battery/starter motor as it is with the car pull start installed on the heli! just fuel up, pull and fly. and re-fuel..and fly. 

Cheers

Lawrence

Old 05-18-2009, 06:53 AM
Peter_d

Lawrence,

Yeah, the little buggers are really fun and fast, have built a F18 and a F117 stealth so far.. and now I got depron pieces all over my shop..got to clean it some day..

I'm so hooked Again  about this LMH with a bigger gasser, going to order one really soon.

Can't really decide if I should get a .12 or .15 engine... they have the same mounting measurments

Do you have any pics of your handheld starter ? I can't figure out how you use it unless you have a cone on the engine..

//Peter

Old 05-18-2009, 07:09 AM
lawrencelkl

Hi Peter,

glad that you have so much fun with the pusher jets. Sorry for the confusion, the hand held started is designed for car and i do not use it on lite machine. I am using the pull start which also come with the engine . The hand held starter is a starter to be used with a motorised back plate on the engine (replacing the pull start). i bought this as it comes with the engine as a bundle.

to be honest, i think if the price and weight are not much different, might as well get a .15 engine. but I can assure you a .12 should be powerful enough to fly the heli anyway. so it is really your choice

Cant wait for Friday to go out flying !

Lawrence

Old 05-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Peter_d

Hi again,

£ 42 is a really good price for the engine, the one I'm looking at is around £70..

Did you buy it in a shop or was it a private sale. If you did get it from a shop, could you send a link to it ?

//Peter

Old 05-19-2009, 02:19 AM
lawrencelkl

Hi Peter,

Mine was from a private sale but i did see some shops selling around £ 55 . I will try to recall and dig out the link some time and send to you. Are you considering just the froce .12 engine or any other economic .12 or .15 engine?

cheers.

Lawrence

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.