Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

[email protected]#$%^&*() Jr landing Gear

Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

[email protected]#$%^&*() Jr landing Gear

Old 02-09-2004, 05:53 PM
DCFLYYER
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [email protected]#$%^&*() Jr landing Gear

Ok great I have installed my JR LG (thanks Mike at Roffee's) now for the hard part I have 4 /7cell packs set up in the pic provided (if I get it loaded) or set up side to side with battery bars. I could use some ideas on which configuration would work best in the JR LG to help with balance. and does anyone know what I should use as a battery bar if I solder them end to end. I've seen Pre made packs that are usually spot welded with a thin metal strap material I don't think a battery bar will bend for a end to end configuration? I'm running a brushed motor and think it best to stay with 7 cells for now. thanks in advance!
dcflyyer
Dennis

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28022.gif
Views:	10
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	99240  
Old 02-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Mini Boy

Default RE: [email protected]#$%^&*() Jr landing Gear

DCFLYYER:

It sounds like you're upset, and knocking the landing gear. Perhaps you may have done a search for "JR GEAR", or "Corona E Voyager Gear", or something similar and found out that the cell orientation that you have won't fit into that (or most other) battery holder(s). There are scads of info in these forums on this subject.

Also, you didn't specify what kind of machine or motor you have there, but if it is a LMH Corona, by all means, stick with the 7 cells (and I'm assuming they are NiCd or NiMh).

Take a deep breath, slow down, and do some searching and reading. Take it from and old timer, an hour of research will save you three hours of aggravation, and a bunch of $$.

Attached below is a pic of how most installations are done.

Hope this is of some help,

Russ

Name:	Sp45416.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	99336  
Old 02-10-2004, 11:27 AM
DCFLYYER

Thanks, Mini Boy cell configuration is what I was looking for and I did mention I am using a brushed motor and figured like you, lmh+ batteries =corona. But was in a hurry and needed to free up the phone line.

I've been hanging around RCU for awhile catching up on technology. but after buying a piccolo and dumping it. Then stealing this Corona on e-bay and bouncing it around for a couple of months found out I had a bad servo. So then I started replacing a servo and the right/left cyclic servo was installed upside down with the push rod bent at 2 opposing 90 degree angles so had to change the angle of it and as you probably know I broke it. Again off to the LHS I go to get a threaded rod it just didn't seem as stiff as the original. Well now I see the TR push rod seems alittle long and no push rod guides where on the heli. don't know if it will flex in flight or not.

This is where I decided to go thru the Corona from one end to the other using the manual to set everything up and the addition of the JR E Voyager LG I've been reading about really sounded like the best way to balance the heli so I also picked up a crash kit at the same time.

Now I install this great LG and go thru the heli by the book OK hook up the battery? yea right, ever try putting a square peg in a round hole (clue) it doesn't work.

Mad at the Corona? Naah!
Mad at the LG? absoloutley not!
Absoloutley PO'D at myself for not seeing this before hand It's nothing I can"t handle having soldered cell years ago.
I mainly needed the best cell configuration to aid in the balancing of the heli,which I had a hard time finding is the reason for this post .

I think your right a step back and a deep breath is all that is needed along with the info you provided.

Except did you have to shorten the TR push rod? in order to set up your heli by the book.

Thanks for the deep Breath!
Dcflyyer
Old 02-10-2004, 01:04 PM
darthdrk

don't know if it will flex in flight or not. Yep, It will flex. The push rod guides acts to take alot of the flex out. Ive seen others use a carbon rod with clevises installed on the ends without guides with success.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:17 PM
Mini Boy

Hi DCFYYER:

As Darth says, the tailrotor pushrod guides should be on the tailboom to prevent pushrod flexing. I don't have mine on, but I fly in a scale like manner, nothing radical, so I haven't had an issue with that.

As far as shortening the pushrod, no, I didn't have to. The only thing I can think of is that maybe your tail rotor servo is in backwards, putting the servo arm too far toward the tail rotor. Or, be sure the bellcrank on the bottom of the tailrotor gearbox is at a 90 degree angle to the tail boom (paralell to the tail rotor shaft) when the "rudder" (tail rotor pitch) is at neutral. Also, make sure the nylon clevises are screwed onto the pushrod at least 1/4 inch on bothe ends. When I get home I will look at mine to see if there may be another reason.

Happy and SAFE flying,

Russ
Old 02-11-2004, 10:39 PM
DCFLYYER

Hi guys!
Well I checked the TR servo and it was installed correctly. Even checked the TR push rod with one in a crash kit to make sure no one had replaced it with home made one and the length was the same. So started looking at the TR gear box and what I thought was a seam in the plastic from the mold was a crack. I suppose this is why the TR push rod looks to be about 1/4 inch longer than it was suppose to be. This is a bummer because I had just ordered parts and will have to pay the extra postage just to have it shipped. This is also part of the down side of buying a built heli vs building your own I would have seen it other wise. I'll be ordering one tomorrow.
Since I build airplanes I have some epoxy and light fiberglass do you think think it would hold if I put it on the TR gear box??

Some one else had asked the same question somewhere about the TR push rod being too long if you see it you might have him check his TG gear box.

Thanks
Dcflyyer
Dennis
Old 02-11-2004, 11:27 PM
Mini Boy

Dennis:

Darth is the expert on repairing the tail rotor gearbox.

Russ
Old 02-12-2004, 09:15 AM
notasme

Dennis,

You can use the fiberglass to repair the TR gear box. Many of us use this as a repair process, also used as a method of preventing the TR gear box from creaking.

However, a creaked TR gear box should not make the push-rod seem to be to long. It can cause the gear box to slip/turn on the boom. And slip so that the gears do not mesh correctly.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:04 PM
DCFLYYER

Hi Guys

Well RCU erased my reply. I'll try again. The reason the TR push rod seemed long is the TR gear box was pushed forward. I think this happened in shipping as the boom was left on and must have been stood on end kinda like some one hit the gear box with a hammer.

I went to darth's site and fiber glassed the TR gear box it had more cracks than first thought.
While waiting for it to dry I'll be checking the rest of the Heli out and reconfiguring the battery's

Thanks
Dcflyyer
Dennis
Old 02-14-2004, 08:06 AM
Mini Boy

Dennis:

The tail boom being pushed forward may have been the result of a crash by a previous owner. Maybe the cracked gearbox too. Also, the tail boom can't get pused very far forward, as it meshes with the crown gear on the mainshaft. I would take a careful look at those gears (with a magnifying device) and be sure the gears aren't damaged. Or the mainshaft bent (kinda unlikely, as it is spring steel), but nothing is impossible, nor should be overlooked. Maybe the gearbox got smashed too far into the boom?!?!?

Do you have the original construction and flight manuals?

My ten cent worth of safety advice,

russ
Old 02-26-2004, 04:41 PM
DCFLYYER

Thanks Mini Boy. I had to take the wife to las Vegas for a few days.
Well I have all the manuals and have glassed the TR gear box and reassembled the boom after inspecting everything ( compared with a new boom) same length. Boom and gears feel really smooth. The boom is back on the crutch all the gears aligned, I even have installed the TR push rod guides.

Here's the thing, I ended up cutting off a little over 1/4" off the TR push rod and with the TR servo at full throw it would bind in both directions. with the Laser 4 TX there is no servo travel adjustment on that channel, so I changed over to a Futaba T6xa TX and had to adjust the servo throw to 50% so it would not bind. From what I have been reading all of this is not normal and seams no one has had to do this although everything looks really sweet and meshing well. I have added a couple of pic, all servos and TR are in neutral position. I don't know how well the pic's will come out but maybe some one can see something I am missing. It's been raining so I can't try it out yet. Oh yea, I have reconfigured one of my batt packs and where it sets in the pic gives it just alittle nose down on the center of gravity if I put the battery all the way in the holder it's way tail heavey, Any Ideas?
Thank To All
Dcflyyer
Dennis

Name:	Rp42983.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	105303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30887.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	105304  
Old 02-26-2004, 09:08 PM
Mini Boy

HI ... DCFLYYER!

Your photos are excellent!!

As I look back into the construction manual (a year later!), my manual shows (pg. 13-4) a nylon clevis on the tail rotor pitch bellcrank, and a "Z" bend in the pushrod at the servo end. My machine has a soldered on brass 2-56 threaded adaptor on BOTH ends of the T/R pushrod, as I am not a great fan of "Z" bends, unless they are on parkfliers. SO ...... I must guess that I perhaps also hacked a tad off the T/R pushrod and added the threaded bushing, as the stock configuration may not have aligned all that well. Forgive me for not remembering the details.

The fact is, from your very good photos, that your setup looks good to me ..... can't really see anything that looks amuck!

BUT .... REMEMBER, when you decide to spool the little bird up in the living room, make SURE that you have a 2" X 4" stuffed through the skids, and take your time!!!!!!!! My first spool-up went fine, until the undercharged TRANSMITTER pack died, and the heli wound up in the fireplace ..... UPSIDE DOWN!!!!!!! AND ...... It could have been in my face!!!
Oh .... one other thing ..... I'm the only guy on earth that has the battery pack stuffed into both JR landing gear holders. I think part of that is a result of my (accidentally) mounting the rear landing gear strut well forward of the stock rear LMH landing gear strut mount. Also, I pushed the Rx, gyro, wire harnesses, ESC as far forward a I could, and the CG is just a tad nose heavy with this setup.

I think you are getting real close to a spool-up and watch / listen for funny things ..... be sure to do a radio range test, too. If you need advice on that one, don't hesitate to ask. Remember .... the dumbest question is the one you DIDN'T ask!! AND ....... above all else ......... TAKE YOUR TIME ...... as haste makes waste (usually of many hours and lots of $$$$$$!!)

Enough preaching for now!

Happy and SAFE hovering,

Russ