Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

LMH's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 03:06 AM
warlock1174
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LMH's?

It seems to me that the people who are most interested in trash-talking the LMH are the ones who have never flown it...But, as a proud owner of an LMH, there are pros and cons to consider for EVERYTHING.

LMH pro 1... easy assembly with household tools
LMH pro 2... smaller engine...less fuel...more flight time
LMH pro 3... fixed pitch = no need for setting up pitch curves
LMH pro 4... very durable, virtually indestructable..cheap to repair
LMH pro 5... uses standard airplane radio, no need for fancy stuff

LMH con 1... fixed pitch means no autorotation
LMH con 2... fixed pitch (yeah, I used it twice) no 3D flying..(actually rolls and loops can be done with practice.)
LMH con 3... controls are somewhat "touchy"--you get used to it
LMH con 4... small engine is a little trickier to get set up
LMH con 5... mechanical gyro..it works, but not as good as electric

.30 pro 1... AUTOROTATION!
.30 pro 2... aerobatics!
.30 pro 3... easy maintenance engine
.30 pro 4... easy to control
.30 pro 5... electronic gyro, more stable tail rotor

.30 con 1... ALL crashes result in repairs (some quite costly)
.30 con 2... requires a true "Helicopter" radio... more expensive
.30 con 3... requires more complex tools for assembly and maintenance
.30 con 4... collective pitch= more complex machinery and setup
.30 con 5... bigger engine uses more fuel, and more quickly

So you see folks, we can argue the pros and cons af ANY heli all day long, but what it really boils down to is individual taste. Maybe what we should do is advise interested people of the differences, abilities, and characteristics of several different types of machines, and show them where to find detailed information on any of this equipment. Tossing in our biased opinion doesn't do anybody any good. Case in point, if I had taken certain people's advise, I would have never bought an LMH. Lo and behold the LMH has offered me numerous hours of great flying.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:51 AM
flmgrip
My Feedback: (2)

Default LMH's?

thank you scott and warlock1174
Old 06-10-2002, 08:22 PM
`CJ

Default LMHs Have their place too!

Hi! I have an LMH. I'm addicted to helis of all kinds......

Laying all the BS aside, the LMH is an experience only one can grasp if they have had AND flown it for a bit.

Most fun I've had in helis was with 8 guys at a CC fun Fly about 3 or 4 years ago. We started out doing a figure "8" pylon race and it wound up becoming an all out combat of 8 of the lil tuffies going at it! Oh, did I mention, it was FULL CONTACT combat.
If memory serves me right we went at it 3 or 4 times that weekend!

I still have my LMH and occasionally bring it out when I can find another LMH owner that wants to try their hand at combat. Most expensive battle lost was less than 25.00. (Broke the frames)

Another thing I use it for, I will let anyone at the field that wants to try to fly a heli, have a go at this lil' puppy. Most expensive crash, doing this, so far has been lost "Z" links and they're what .99 for a pack of 3?

Look at it like this, fun is what you make it for you. So go have yas some fun! FInd someone else that is as "Twisted" as you cuzz the fun grows with numbers that are "Twisted" the same way !

BTW, the LMH was not my 1st heli, But it could have been. IF you can handle flying a LMH, you can adapt to a collect pitch heli REAL easy!

`CJ steps off his soap box!
Old 06-23-2002, 04:21 AM
lnjfarms

Default LMH's?

I just got into heli's and my first one was an lmh corona. That is their electric heli it has all the advantages of the original with out having to fuss with the norvel.
Bought a 3000nimh pack and it will hover for at least 10 min on that pack . The corona uses an electric peizo gyro and a common car motor so parts are avaible and cheap. While I am not yet proficient enough to fly indoors yet you could with this machine.
Also it is large enough an heavy enough not to suffer from the instability of several of the small electric heli's.
Lite machines is also easy to deal with. Once you have an account with them you just give them a call and with your account number they will ship the parts fast. Also most of the repair parts are avaible on line.

I also have a shuttle zxx but it currently refuses to start, can't say I have ever had that problem with the corona. Being electric you get the full benifits of that sound the main blades make when it is flying thats half the fun of learning to hover
Old 06-23-2002, 06:52 AM
Eco8gator

Default LMH's?

Hello

I love my ELMH. It is the perfect training tool to learn hovering in all orientations including inverted. IMHO I prefer this heli over the simulator, but I still practice on the sim. Also, if you are going to get an LMH make sure it is electric, it is much, much easier.

I just recently purchased mine. Here are some pictures:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=47188

I wanted a heli that I could play around with in small flying areas. After I installed my PCM Rx and a HH gyro(I know it is over kill, but I hate glitches, and I like HH) I went out and started flying and I was pleasently surprised. Since I have recieved this heli I have not practiced anything with it other than nose in(want to have that down) and backwards flying. I have nose in down, but BW flying still need some work but it is comming(maybe it is the fact that the actuall heli pitches when moveing in any direction).

Just so you know I have an Eco 8 with all the upgrades and a powerful brushless setup. I flys like a champ and is super solid with lots of power(more than my former Raptor 30 and other 30s I have seen), but it is not exactily something you want to practice new things on. I also have micros, I only play with those in the house.

Oh, if you are wondering about inverted hover practice all you have to do is reverse the elevator, and rudder channels, and flip your throttle curve(so it has a negative slope, assuming it is a linear curve). The cool part is you will still have landing gear under you

Carlo
Old 09-30-2002, 01:48 PM
n0jvt

Default RE:LMH's?

The Corona is a Great heli if your on a limited budget
I've been using mine with the reedy Checkpoint motor and
novak car Speed controller out of my old RC-10 and 7 cell
1200 Mah Ni-cads packs - the flight times are short with
this setup( I get about 5 Minutes on Mine )

Just remember if your going to use a R/C car speed controller
make sure you have the brake dialed out and use one of those micro 4 cell batteries that is used in car racing to prevent rx glitching when the pack dumps

i got mine into the air for $ 400 ( 200 for the heli - $ 150 for the radio and $50 for a used pizeo gyro ) - and you can upgrade to better electronics as funds permit

this is enough of a setup to let you learn the basics and have a little fun also
Old 09-30-2002, 02:14 PM
spessx

Default LMH's?

Hey Guys,
I figured I would throw in my .02 on the Corona. This is a great heli! I've got about 250 flights and about 12 hard crashes on it - mostly from stupid mishaps(aren't they all). In all of these crashes I replaced the tailboom($8) once because I could no longer stand looking at the dents. I've got two big Schluters(50 & 60) that I don't even touch anymore because it takes too much time to organize a trip to the field plus the butt clinch factor is very high with these expensive helis. I don't see getting rid of this heli no matter how advanced of a flyer I become.
-Stephen
Old 09-30-2002, 06:32 PM
pave-low

Default LMH religious debate

My .02
An important question to ask the critics: Have you flown one of these as a beginner?
We have had this LMH "fight" several times before and as I recall most of the more vocal critics hadn't flown an LMH as a newbie. Sure once you drive a Ferrari a Yugo doesn't seem to have much appeal but hey all trainers lack any appeal after you graduate them.

The LMH was my first successful heli flight. Great if you don't have the time or the other experienced flyers to help you setup. I got totally frustrated with the setup/tuning/radio etc. and was just about to throw in the towel on the whole sport when I got my LMH. I had it off the ground and was once again hooked on this funny sport. I think it is great for those of us who don't have a lot of time for setup/reparis or don't have access to the "field pros" to help you.

If you have the money, time, and the pros I totally agree go for the .30 size plastic trainer (Hawk, Raptor, Shuttle) is a much better investment. The Hawk Sport is only like $160! Almost throwaway pricing. (Please no feedback from Hawk Haters)

I have since gone on to .30-.60-.603D helis and have no desire to sell it. In fact I am looking at the electric conversion so I can fly this winter. (I can't afford the Logos or Jokers). I fly electric planes too as a lot of my flying time I have is after 10:00 at night when all the kids are in bed. In fact I haven't flown an electric LMH but in theory it might be better for newbies as you avoid all the engine complications (and Norvell isn't the most reliable glow engine). And when the batteries start to fade it is a gradual fade versus when you run out of Nitro (no auto rotation with the fixed pitch LMH).

-The best advice is to find someone at your local club who has one that will let you fly it. Anytime you can budy up with someone with experience you are going to learn faster. You may want to buy what they are flying. They can also help you a lot with safety and newbie tips. -

Whatever your decision; I apologize for all the opinions and rhetoric from the group. Don't let these animated debates sway you from buying/flying a heli (LMH or otherwise). These are good guys they just get wrapped up in their opinions from time to time.

Have fun and be careful! Remember these things (any brand/size) are like food processors on drugs and can come after you!

Good luck in the sport.

THX-
Old 10-01-2002, 05:33 AM
RCAdd1ct

Default LMH's?

The Corona was the first heli I could get to hover. I had tried a shuttle years ago. It got put up when it chased me across the parking lot!

I put an FMA Co-pilot on mine for the first few weeks. After I figured out crashing and tipovers were no issues I took the Co-Pilot off and just winged it.

I am not going to say it is invinsible....it is not. But I have spent more on a crash kit for my rap 30 than I have on all the crashes on the Corona.
Old 10-07-2002, 04:10 PM
JasonD

Default LMH's?

I'm learning the fly my Corona and love it. I even learned to hover it in the local park-no noise so no one cares. Awesome little machine. Once I tiped it over not paying attention while it was running. Just turned it right side up it didn't hurt a thing.

While I was learning to hover the thing I bounced it off the ground hard-no damage. In fact a spectator mentioned that it bounced cool.

You can't go wrong with a lite machines Corona to learn on.

Jason
Old 10-16-2002, 10:26 PM
Paul Arlton

Default LMH's?

This is an interesting thread because everyone is right in a way.

Regarding flight performance consider this:

"Collective pitch" and "fixed pitch" are immaterial to helicopter stability and cyclic control. It's better to think of the two systems as "fixed-speed" and "variable-speed". A collective-pitch helicopter is designed to run at one speed (a high speed) so the main rotor always produces high gyroscopic stability. Because of this the tail rotor always has excess speed when the tail pitch is increased, so the gyro always has something to push with. This makes the tail feel "locked".

In a fixed-pitch (variable-speed) helicopter, the main rotor is constantly changing RPM and so is the tail rotor. Since the main rotor on a Lite Machines helicopter is very efficient, it is possible to fly at very low rotor RPM where the tail rotor has no power. Often complaints about the mechanical gyro resolve to mechanical binding of the gyro mechanism, or flying too low a rotor RPM. To increase RPM, add 3-5 ounces of ballast to your helicopter (aerodynamically this is better than reducing blade pitch).

I frequently talk to individuals who have a great deal of experience with "collective pitch" machines, but who really do not understand how to adjust a "fixed-pitch" machine. Flying an improperly adjusted helicopter is not fun regardless of collective-pitch or fixed pitch.

On another note: your engine must be operating properly to get good flight performance. If you have problems with power, call Lite Machines.

Paul
Old 10-17-2002, 12:21 AM
CAP-tivating

Default LMH's?

Hello to everyone on this interesting thread. I have a question for you LMH owners. Where is a good place to get a LM heli from? I was going to order it from shopatron???? The shipping was going to be something like over $80.00. I did not see any alternative shipping methods. What type of shipping would that be? I live in Canada so it would be over $100 just for shipping. Ever since I started flying helis I wanted a LMH. I don't know what it is but I love that little heli. This would be my forth heli.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:40 AM
ifly-RCU

Default LMH's?

WOW, THATS LOTS O CASH AT 16!!!
well, not really im also 16

you could spend an extra year saving(buy a plane with good radio gear and fuel and starting equipment, like it did then the next year get the heli and heli stuff and rob all the gear of the plane)

i personaly work love to own a lmh, i would have a blast and fly every day un like my venture, colecting dust (dang wind!!)

well top of that im on a tight budget also, cutting the lawn only pays 10 a week, which doesn't even buy fuel!!

man i should get a real job
Old 10-17-2002, 04:01 PM
JasonD

Default LMH's?

Originally posted by CAP-tivating
Hello to everyone on this interesting thread. I have a question for you LMH owners. Where is a good place to get a LM heli from? I was going to order it from shopatron???? The shipping was going to be something like over $80.00. I did not see any alternative shipping methods. What type of shipping would that be? I live in Canada so it would be over $100 just for shipping. Ever since I started flying helis I wanted a LMH. I don't know what it is but I love that little heli. This would be my forth heli.

Thanks.
Why don't you call lite machines and ask them who their dealers are in Canada.

On another note I'm practising forward flight now down here in San Diego. It's amazing who well the Corona slices through the wind even when its around ten miles per hours. It does tend to pitch up a bit, but I just keep the nose pointed down.

I like the Corona so much I was considering getting the Gas copter just to mess around with. Except my wife won't let me.

Jason
Old 10-18-2002, 04:27 AM
warlock1174
My Feedback: (23)

Default LMH's?

Anyone who knows me from this site also knows that I am a proud supporter of the LMH. FLMGRP: Most people who want to learn to fly an r.c. helicopter have several fears about them which usually result in them simply avoiding helis altogether. The biggest fear, to all of us, I assume, is a crash. The LMH helps to eliminate the fear of crashing because of its durability, and inexpensiveness. Another major fear is that of assembly and setup, especially when one has no available help. Out of the box, I have yet to see any helicopter which is so "beginner" friendly. My brother, and myself, with no help from anyone, assembled and flew our first LMH in a matter of days. The instruction manuals (two of them, one for assembly, and one operators' guide) are EXTREMELY throrough, well designed, and simple. ALL assembly tools are included. No questions are left unanswered.

To address the problem with the little Norvel being difficult to start: How many of you were trying to use a standard starter? When I purchased the Lite Machine brand starter, which has roughly double the rpm's of a conventional starter, I was able to get the Norvel cranked the first time, every time.

To address the maneuverability: I have done rolls, loops, stall turns, pirouhettes, and other high acrobatic maneuvers with no problems. Of course auto's and inverts are impossible UNLESS you upgrade the LMH to collective pitch. (A relatively simple and cheap upgrade.)

I have owned and flown Century Hawk 3, and 4; Raptor, Venture, and Nexus. By far, the LMH was the most entertaining.

Also, combat with an LMH is fun too. Anyone wanna face off with a beloved .60? Didn't think so.

'Nuff said
Old 10-18-2002, 12:19 PM
spessx

Default LMH's?

Hey Warlock,

I really like the LMH's also. I've had both a 110 and currently fly a Corona. I'm interested in hearing about this cheap and simple collective pitch conversion you are talking about.

-Stephen
Old 10-18-2002, 10:22 PM
motorhead-RCU

Default LMH's?

[ upgrade the LMH to collective pitch. (A relatively simple and cheap upgrade.) ]

I am interested in your collective upgrade as I am working on this right now.
Mike
Old 10-18-2002, 11:33 PM
rcspud
My Feedback: (2)

Default LMH's?

Hi,Im a owner of a LMH110.I got to teach myself to fly a heli (still havent learned)but I was completely surprised on how tough it is.I dumped this thing over 30-40 times the first day out with it. The worst damage it ocurd was a bent tail boom(easy fix)and a broken tail fin,just a little ca fixed it.
I geuss what Im saying is,in my own opinion,is a great trainer for the money.

I found mine on e-bay complete w/radio worth the money.
I find its great to have fun with in my small back yard where a larger heli couldnt do anything but hover,its a blast to cruise around and between the hedges where my 40 sized heli cant fit.
Old 11-18-2002, 02:22 AM
mrhook
My Feedback: (-1)

Default LMH's?

those little engines can be a problem if you dont use norvel fuel. if you do use there fuel it will romove most issues.
Old 11-18-2002, 02:57 AM
Joe K
My Feedback: (1)

Default LMH

The LMH 117 (with the .07 V-MAX) and the Corona LMH 120 (Electric) came out after I got the LMH 110 (.06 V-MAX)
I have 1 and 1/2 gallons burned and its still going. The V-MAX .06 Is fussy with weather change and over heats in the summer. Get the .07 If you must go Nitro. I hear the electric Corona is more stable. LESS MESS, NO NOISE!
If its your first heli get the Corona, Keep it as your electric. Then get the Hawk Sport It is $50 cheaper than the LMH kits and it is an ARF, and It is a collective pitch. Crashes will cost more, but it is more stable too.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:21 PM
aircat

Default LMH's?

Hey to all, I have a shuttle zxx and an lmh 110, I love them both . The cool thing about the lmh is that it is small enough to throw into my truck tool box and can be flown almost anywhere. I live in south Mississippi and fly on the hottest summer days. If you are having power problems, here is what I have found. The glow plug does not like certain fuels, change the plug and change fuels. I think I have run 4 or 5 gallons of sig champion 15% through the little engine. You have to run it rich real rich so rich that it is slow to come off of idle. I have really had a lot of fun with this thing....

Aircat
Old 12-05-2002, 07:50 PM
extremeflying
My Feedback: (7)

Default LMH's?

im only 14 and i already crashed a nexus. get a nexus trust me we r like in the same age(low budget) i got the nexus flying for only $739 the cheapest dor .30 size heli and the heli flew great but i crashed it due to high wind. right now im getting a raptor v1 from ebay for 203 with no radio and im looking for a used lmh to fly in the park =. caution dont fly ur .30 size heli in the park it is very dangerous and u can kill some1 if u r not an experinced pilot or u can get a fine.