Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

ATOMIC FORCE motor Sucks!

Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

ATOMIC FORCE motor Sucks!

Old 05-23-2004, 02:57 AM
Talontsi96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATOMIC FORCE motor Sucks!

I go to the point where the heli will barely lift off the ground (using 7 cell 2400 and 3300 mah packs) no more than afoot or two. I thought what the hell? I just got this new ATOMIC FORCE motor and new batteries so what the hell? I originally thought it was the charger (I mean what else could it be? right?) then I read some previous posts about the atomic force motor loosing power when the brushes and commutator get worn or discolored. I had a look at the commutator (without taking the motor apart) and sure enough it was discolored. I figured no big deal, I'll just clean it up and it will be as good as new. Then I got the nice surprise. The stupid motor thats advertised as an adjustable timing motor is BOGUS. I can no take it apart (at least not easily) and can not adjust the timing even if I wanted to. The reason why that is, is the fact that the whole thing is held together by two (thick steel) tabs that are squeezed down and are a ***** to straighten and a ***** to tighten later on. In any event there is no way of cleaning the commutator without taking the thing apart and there is no way of taking it apart without pulling back these tabs (that are part of the main body) and then squeezing them again.. Well this first time it took me over an hour to take it apart and alot of cursing. The Fusion 7, as big of a POS that it was, at least was taken apart by removing a couple of screws, this thing is garbage.

Did the older ATOMIC Force motors come assembled with some screws like the Fusion? Mine sure is not. There is even no way of adjusting the timing because the tabs that are bent in will not allow the thing to either be taken apart or rotated such that timing adjusment would be possible. Now I guess I'll have to shop for another motor considering that I dont want to go through this whole ordeal every few flights. I just bought this stupid motor (for $35 Can) and can't even return it now because in order to bend these tabs back I had to slice some of the sticker off and scarred up the motor pretty good when forcing these tabs out and later in. Is there an alternative way of cleaning the commutator (without taking the sucker apart)?

Sorry for the rant but I had to vent.

Paul

Paul
Old 05-23-2004, 02:09 PM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: ATOMIC FORCE motor Sucks!

The atomic force motor is adjustable timing. It has 2 screws on top and no tabs. All you do is loosen the 2 screws on top and rotate the cam. I just got a second one on fri and it's the same as the first. Does yours have a red endbell - they all should. Whatever you got was NOT an atomic force. I would take it back and tell them that however it was labled it was NOT an atomic force.

http://www.kyosho.com/accys/kyog2700.html
Old 05-23-2004, 02:55 PM
DCFLYYER
My Feedback: (5)

I'd like to see a picture of your motor. Where did you buy it? I checked the new one I keep in my parts box and it's adjustable. Try checking www.towerhobies.com and enter part# LXW934 $19.99. And in US we can have it shipped parts express for $3.99 I believe they ship to Canada but don't know what it will cost.

Regards
Dennis
Old 05-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Talontsi96

Well All I can say is you guys are lucky. My motor is an atomic force but it must be one of brand new ones that they cheaped out on. The motor does have a red cap, is a Kyosho brand and has a yellow sticker that says ATOMIC FORCE. It looks like the ones pictured here on the links. There is one difference, the only screws it has are the ones that hold the brush wires. There are no screws to hold the cap at the top to the casing. There are holes where the screws would normally go but there are no screws in them. There are two tabs on the side of the casing that get squeezed down.

In any event after I took it apart, there was no ring that normally sits in the casing where the screws normally attach. The funiest thing is the sticker still has timing marks on it but you can not adjust the timing due to this cheap out. In any event I took the Atomic Force apart again today and I took the old Fusion7 apart and what I did is I took the ring out of the fusion and put it in the Atomic Force. Then what I did was bend the tabs (that were used to hold the top of the motor) in and bent them to hold the ring that I put in there from the Fusion motor insted the red cap. I then trimmed the red plastic top such that it would fit overt the modified body. I then used the two screws from the Fusion motor and fastened it in place as the fusion (and your ATOMIC FORCE motors). I now have a motor that I can service quite easily but it didnt solve my problems anyway. I changed the brushes on it and cleaned the commutator as best as I could and I still have no lift (not enought RPM). So I guess I'm screwed. I can not bring it back now for sure.

By the way what amperage should I expect to measure when the motor is turning at max RPM and no load? I got about 5A when I checked the amperage. The battery cells were providing 5A and about 8.6V when the motor was turning at max RPM with no load (rotor disconnected). Any help would be great. I need to fix this thing and am still troubleshooting. I'm still wondering if its my charger but the cells are new and they are around 9V with no laod and about 8.6V at 5A load.

Thanks,

Paul

PS. here is a link at where I bought it: http://www.greathobbies.com/frame_index.html ,type in kyosho atomic force in the search and it will come up.

PPS...does anybody know any hobbyshop that has the ASTROFLIGHT 020 brushless in stock? I checked the local ones and they dont have them in stock, they are backordered and no one knows when they will be coming in.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:22 AM
batjac
My Feedback: (1)

I know what you mean. I got the same P.O.S. motor from Roffee. I'd heard on some other forum that Kyosho was cheaping out their motors, but didn't think it would happen on the AF. Now I know better. I'm going to go back to the LHS and get a Trinity Speed Gems 17T Double. I had one on another heli and it worked great... It's about $33.00, but it's better than that P.O.S. that's in my heli now.

Mark
Old 05-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Talontsi96

Yeah, it really sucks because I read ghood things on here about the AF and thats why I bought one. The thing wont even lift the heli 1 foot off the ground on 4 - 4 grips. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Paul
Old 05-24-2004, 02:03 PM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

You know - it is possible you got a bum one right out of the package - it happens. I know of myself and 3 other people that use these motors and they all work with no problems. Before you hacked it up you should have sent it back.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:20 PM
batjac
My Feedback: (1)

Again, Skyhawk, the old motors that could be timed sounded good. But the new motor that Kyosho's pushing isn't very good. And, after cutting the comm and running it in, I doubt that Roffee'd take it back.

Oh, well. I needed something to throw into the son's R/C car...
Old 05-24-2004, 04:06 PM
Talontsi96

Well it does sound good that I should have done this and not that and I should have returned it etc. The only problem is that I didnt know that it was the motor for sure so I wanted to check things out. I got a surprise when I tried taking the motor apart. Then it became a challenge to get the thing apart and of course the only way to take it apart was to start bending these stiff tabs and there just was no way of bending them back without scratching things up a bit.

In any event I'm pretty sure it was the motor because I put my old FUBRED Fusion motor back in the heli with some new brushes and the Heli had alot more power, untill the Fusion Died completely. I put the AF back in and whoopie 6 inches off the ground is all I could get with it. Its still possible that its the charger and my batteries are not charged to full capacity but I really doubt it considering that they are about 9V even under a load of 5A. I think its the motor. Like I said its not the end of the world, just $35CAN out of my pocket. I really need to go brushless. Does anyone know how to make sure that the batteries are charged to full capasity and what the no load amperage of the AF motor should be? Like I mentioned before I get about 5A with the AF turning at full speed with no load.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Talontsi96

Good news!!!!

the Hobby Shop took the POS back and I got a refund. I put it towards a Hacker brushless motor. Boy it was expensive but it was the only system that would work on my heli and I called around everywhere looking for a Mega or Astro setup with no success. The Hacker is supposed to be the best so I figured what the hell, no more problems with the motor and I'll get the best there is. I got the Hacker C40 12T.

Paul