Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

LMH116 fuel tank fell off?

Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

LMH116 fuel tank fell off?

Old 07-25-2004, 06:45 AM
kay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LMH116 fuel tank fell off?

Hi All,

I was flying my six years old LMH with the Vmax6 yesterday. All was normal until about 3 minutes into the flight when the engine quit abruptly. The helicopter fell from about 100 feet. The casualty....a cracked tail gear box and a bent boom.

I noticed that the fuel tank came off the nytie and the fuel line had slipped off the fuel tank. The white half of the fuel tank has a half inch crack. What I am not sure is whether the fuel line slipped off the fuel tank during flight causing the engine to quit or the fuel tank came off during the crash landing. I am not a beginner flyer anymore but have had my share of crashes during learning. I have had some spectacular crashes but the fuel tank was fine each time. I would like your experience on this.

Thanks and regards,

Kay
Old 07-25-2004, 12:22 PM
KLRico

Default RE: LMH116 fuel tank fell off?

For what its worth, I've had my fuel line slip off of the tank in flight too... I ended up cutting some lines into the part of the tank where the fuel line goes to add some grip to it. It worked pretty well so far.

BTW - welcome to RCU!
Old 07-25-2004, 03:27 PM
lyk2fly
My Feedback: (3)

I installed the 2 oz fuel tank from Dubro......clunk included. I haven't had any more tank problems. They are cheap....$2.00-$4.00 range. I have had several of the Lite Machine tanks to split.
Mark
Old 07-25-2004, 05:53 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive heard of several tanks cracking on that seam too,,,,I will prolly go the dubro route myself if I ever get mine flying again....Rog
Old 07-25-2004, 07:56 PM
Joe K
My Feedback: (1)

I put a short piece of hose on the end of the hose that slips on the tank.
It fits good and tight.
I to have been thinking of getting a Dubro, but going a little bigger for the V-Max 7.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:53 AM
kay

Update:

Ordered a new fuel tank. This time the new tank lasted 6 flights only. I flew it yesterday and it cracked from the white half again!

I have enough and will not keep replacing the tank. Can someone post a picture of a Dubro tank retrofit?

Thanks much...

K
Old 10-04-2004, 07:46 PM
lyk2fly

Hey kay.....I will try to post pics of the dubro tank soon....but there's really nothing to it. The 2 oz tank will mount just like the stock lmh tank. It is a little longer but it still fits ok. I've been flying with mine now for a long time.....absolutely no problems with it!
Mark
Old 10-05-2004, 09:38 AM
kay

Hi Mark,

Does the tank go horizontally or vertically? I tried to position the 2 oz (Sullivan) tank but it is too big. Do you use ny-ties to secure the tank? The LMH tank has two grooves moulded-in for the ny-ties. Would the 2oz tank slide off the ny-ties? Do you use the clunk?Please post pictures....I want to fly this weekend.

Thanks,
K
Old 10-05-2004, 06:10 PM
lyk2fly

Kay, as you can see in the pics you use the ties. The tank is a little longer than the lmh tank....I used some receiver padding to keep it from rubbing my vmax7.....and yes I used the clunk. You will notice 3 lines......1 is vent....2 is where I add fuel and 3 is fuel to the vmax (clunk). You could use just 2 lines but it would be harder to add fuel. Also I am using gravity fuel feed. I tried pressurized but found the vmax7 difficult to tune properly. Gravity works just fine! The tank stays put....I haven't had it slip yet....its been in use for 6-7 months. I hope this helps.
Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62173.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	179871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23866.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	179872