Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
 newbie help on corona crutch and servos. >

newbie help on corona crutch and servos.

Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

newbie help on corona crutch and servos.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie help on corona crutch and servos.

I hope some one can help me. I bought a used corona on ebay a few weeks ago and flew it right away. It flew great and was stable in all axis. I didn't like the wooden frame only because I thought it looked old. So I bought a new nylon sport crutch from chopper-1 and moved over all the components. I also tried to use smaller servos that fit in the crutch. When I tried to lift off the tail was crazy, like the gyro gain was too sensitive. I didn't want to touch the gyro because I don't know anything about it or how to adjust it. It's an MX-9100 piezo non heading hold. Well I took out the smaller servos, notched the frame out and put back the servos that were originally in the wood frame. It flys ok now but the tail is still not nearly as stable as it was before. I have the gyro mounted on a small plastic piece I made mounted to the flat part on the back of the frame. I also wanted to know if it made a difference which way the gyro was mounted i.e. wires coming from the front or back. I didn't note the way it was mounted originally. Looking back I kind of wish I didn't fool with the frame, but it looks really nice now. Can anyone help.
Thanks
R
Old 02-13-2006, 10:15 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: newbie help on corona crutch and servos.

ok first make sure everthing it the tail is running smothly and all the bolts are tight. Then mount the gyro so that its upright and the front of the gryo is faceing the front of the heli. Set the tail blades so there in the neutral position when the bell crank is at 90 degrees and set the servo arm so theres equal travel foward and backward. Then after all this is done lift the helicopter off the ground. It may take alittle playing around with the setting of the servo arm and the setting of the tail blades. If the tail is moving too much one way set the trim so the way your moving the stick to control the tail. Once you have it pretty well under control fly around alittle. If you notice the tail keeps moving side to side but is not out of control set your gain alittle higher, Keep setting the gain higher until the tail stops hunting. If you fix the hunting but it starts over hunting set it alittle bit down.

Hope this helps, If you have any more questions or are confused about anything I said just ask. Also nice choice with your crutch, I just got a Chopper-1 gear box, tail boom, and tail fin. I love them all!

-Raymond
Old 02-14-2006, 02:07 PM

Thanks Raymond!
I was so crazy about the gyro I went out and bought a new Futaba GY240 and installed it. I checked the linkages and they seem pretty smooth with no binding. When I hover the tail wags back and forth, about a 25-30 degree arc. This is in the heading hold mode only, when in non HH mode it it pretty stable. I tried to turn the gain down, but it still does it even with the gain almost to zero. I think my rudder servo is too slow for the gyro, or maybe I should lengthen the arm, what do you think?
Thanks
Ross
Can you elaborate about the tail blades being neutral with the bell crank at 90?
Thanks
Old 02-14-2006, 08:17 PM
My Feedback: (1)

the bellcrank doesnt actully need to be at 90 degrees but thats best. Think of it this way your tail rotors pitch needs to be able to move enough so the helicopters tail can move in both directions. For example there needs to be enough movement of the blades to get more blade pitch to move the tail counter clockwise (looking from the back) and it also needs to be able to move so the blades loose pitch so the tail can move clockwise. You want your tail blades to be set with enough pitch so that when you are flying the tail blades are set at a pitch where they have enough thrust to keep the helicopter from spinning and not too much so the helicopters boom keeps drifting. Once the tail is set right you need to go back to setting your gryo. Make sure its set in HH mode, Then if the tail is swaying back and forth add gain, if its holding but then moving back and forth cuase its over controlling lower you gain very slightly.

Try this and get back to me. If you are confused about anything lmk. If you keep having -problems maybe you can post some pics?

Goodluck