Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
 Lithium Polymer Battery >

Lithium Polymer Battery

Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Lithium Polymer Battery

Old 03-04-2006, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lithium Polymer Battery

I have a stock corona 120 and only get 5 mins. I would like to get more time in the air would I gain anymore time if I put a Lithium Polymer Battery in? Also would it be better to go brushless and use the 3000 NiMH battery I have now? Are any of the cheep brushless motors and batterys you see on ebay any good? I'm only new to flying any help appreciated.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:15 PM

Default RE: Lithium Polymer Battery

IHAD A WALKERA 36 my first heli fitted with brussles motor I ran a wire from a 12 volt car battery to it because i was fedup of spending 5 or 6 mins trying to hover and 2 hours waiting for recharge i could hover and crash till my eyeballs hurt but not all speed controlers like it and you need only wait 5 or 6 min for motor to cool or eye balls to get right again i have now give up with electrics and got a raptor 30 just fillup and go
Old 03-08-2006, 06:13 PM
My Feedback: (1)

P307, have you ever considered that not everyone has enough money for a raptor? Or maybe everyone doesnt have enough space to fly the bigger bird, also a corona is far cheaper to fix when it crashes.

First you need to go brushless before you get lipos. A very common setup is a Mega 16/15/3 motor with a CC 45 amp controller and stock pinon gear. I am currently using this setup with my 3300 nimh battery pack and am gettting around 10-11 minute flight times. Also you shouldnt get lipos untill you are competent flying, becuase in a crash the lipo will get damaged and be ruined. When you decide to get lipos Im pretty sure 3cell are good with that setup not too sure about maH but I think its 4200 for alot of power.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:11 PM

What motor are you using to get only 5 minutes of hover time? I have a Corona on order and I'm debating on which motor I should install
Old 03-29-2006, 03:10 PM

The Mega 16-15-3 is a good motor for a 3S lipo pack from what I hear. I just got a 16-15-4, using a TP 2100 3s1p pack for about 12-13 minutes hover time. The 16-15-4 is a lower kv motor, so it's max speed is lower and fits my CP head setup better.

I started out with lipos, and yes I learned a couple of expensive mistakes. You can put a little bit of foam cushioning between the pack and the frame to help minimize damage. I would not recommend wrapping the pack in foam, as it may overheat.