Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Corona Blade Grips >

Corona Blade Grips

Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Corona Blade Grips

Old 12-10-2002, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corona Blade Grips

The manual says to use one 4 degree grip and one 6 degree grip at the same time for a net 5 degree pitch. Does this work. Seems like an assymetric lift situation.
Kip
http://www.springeraviation.net/
Old 12-10-2002, 12:21 PM

Yes it does work, just make sure to track your blades before flying.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:59 PM
My Feedback: (11)

As stated, it does work, but a lot of us are using a pair of #4 grips to get a little higher headspeed which translates to more stability. I have mine set up this way and really like it.
Cheers - Boyd
Old 12-10-2002, 03:24 PM

That was my next question....what pitch is everybody using? I guess it depends on elevation and temp. I'm at 1000 feet and it's 40-50 degrees here lateley. I'll try 4 degrees pitch. I'm still a few weeks away from flying though.
Kip
http://www.springeraviation.net/
Old 12-10-2002, 09:47 PM

How about for a LMH gas? What would the best grip combo be for forward flight, loops, rolls, & stability?

Later?
Old 12-11-2002, 11:02 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Grips

I use 4 & 4 in cool weather, and I use 4 & 5 in summer.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:55 PM

COOL!

I'm at "That Stage", and it's really terrific to be able to find this info here. I'm going to follow Hoverup's suggestion and use 2-4's.

From what I'm gathering from the flight manual, as long as you don't over-rev the head, 2-4's will give you less lift, but more rotor disk stability ... maybe less horsepower and more duration, too?

Am I on the right track??

BTW, I'm at 500 feet alt.

Thanks for the help

Russ
Old 02-15-2003, 01:30 AM

4 x 4 here.. more speed gives me better control..
Old 02-15-2003, 02:27 AM

Thanks gmaster!
Old 02-15-2003, 03:08 AM

Two number 4 grips really work well on my Coronas. I don't think 500 ft ASL will be a problem with this combination either.
Enjoy - Boyd
AMA 80393
Old 02-16-2003, 01:15 AM

Hi Boyd!

Thanks for the reply. Construction is going smoothly so far ... have the mainframe (crutch) built and finished (natural polyurethane like the old timers to show off the "woodwork"), rotorhead done except for the grips, which I can now install with two #4 grips.

I am quite impressed with the fit of all the parts so far. The plywood is not surprising, but the molded rotor head parts are amazing ... hardly any flash, and tolerances for rotational or slip fit are perfect! Got to give those Arlton boys credit for some great molding work.

Further, it's great to be able to come to a website like this and get advice and questions answered by others who are more knowledgable on the subject.

Not to get long winded (though I do it well), I'm in the midst of some frustration about the charger situation. I have taken your advice and done LOTS of R/C site and Google searches on the subject.

I am inclined toward your recommendation of the Orbit Microlader Pro, but I can't get much printable or downloadable info on it, can't find a place to buy it (fxaeromodels web site says they are out of stock, although I didn't call them), and there really aren't that many posts on the boards about them (most likely since the price limits the customers!). What little I have been able to find has been VERY positive, however.

Is there a decent second choice? ... I sure do like the idea of charging multiple packs at the same time with the Orbit (which I read on a bulletin board and don't even know if it's possible!?). Price is really not an issue, availability IS!!

And finally, I found Sanyo sc 3300 mA 7 packs at battery station for a decent price ... Good idea ... Bad ..?

Thanking you for your continued help in advance,

Russ
Old 02-16-2003, 02:04 AM

yah.. the corona kits go together real nice.. i had no probs at all..

this and the forum over at rcgroups.com are both my new homes now.. lots of research went into me building my corona..

i have Triton charger.. works great.. you might want to check that out..

good luck.. lets see pics when u get it all done..
Old 02-16-2003, 03:15 AM

Hey Russ..........

http://www.battlepack.com/Schulze.asp

This would be my second choice. I do have one because the Orbit Microlader Pro was not available when I needed a new charger and the bloke at this site (normally he has both and had both when I called, but he recommended the Schulze and said pocket the difference).

Re: Batterystation..........I had a bad experience with these folks over the recent Christmas holidays. The guy in Ottumwa, Iowa has no stock that he can put his hands on. He takes your order off the internet and passes it on to a supplier in Florida or California. In trying to find the status of my order it was soon apparent that the Batterystation was a distant second occupation for the proprietor. I only got the order squared away by dealing directly with the suppliers in FL and CA. Batterystation adds no value to the transaction process. You'll do better dealing with Eflightpacks.com or Batteries America. Just my two cents.

I would still go with the Sanyo 2600 Nimh seven cell packs based on my experiences.
Hope this helps.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Old 02-16-2003, 05:00 AM

i didnt have any prob when i got my packs made by batterystation.. i called their toll free number.. told them what batteries i wanted to use.. what pack style.. and in 4 days i had the packs... i talked to the ppl down in FL..
Old 02-16-2003, 05:41 AM

Hi gmaster!

Thanks for the input!

I'm still in the investigation stage, so I'm not sure which way I'm going with the charger yet.

Will post some pics as soon as the Corona is completed.

Russ
Old 02-16-2003, 05:53 AM

Hi Boyd!

Hi Boyd ...

Thanks (AGAIN) for your comments and info.

Being partial to German products (Braun shaver, Krups toaster & Coffee maker, Miele dishwasher) I tend to favor the Schulze (or Orbit) chargers. Did you buy yours from battlepack??

Will it charge more than 1 - 7 cell pack at a time?? ... with a good power supply.

I think I asked you this before, but I can't remember ... should I get 3 NiMH 7 cell packs ?
... 4?? ... More ??

Thanks again,

Russ
Old 02-16-2003, 01:31 PM

Mini.. check this thread over at RCGroups.. SkyHawke and I both posted our experiences on getting parts.. building.. and finally flying our Coronas.. lots of GOOD information in there from other users..

Going with Corona thread
Old 02-18-2003, 12:32 PM

gmaster!

I've been reading that 200 mile long thread for 3 days! ... Lots of nice pics, lots of info! If you guys hadn't made so many posts, you would have been flying your Coronas 2 weeks sooner! (kidding)

Thanks

Russ
Old 02-18-2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Mini Boy
Hi Boyd!

Hi Boyd ...

Thanks (AGAIN) for your comments and info.

Being partial to German products (Braun shaver, Krups toaster & Coffee maker, Miele dishwasher) I tend to favor the Schulze (or Orbit) chargers. Did you buy yours from battlepack??

Yes I got it from Battlepacks.

Will it charge more than 1 - 7 cell pack at a time?? ... with a good power supply.

No the second output station is intended for receiver packs for those not flying with a BEC.

I think I asked you this before, but I can't remember ... should I get 3 NiMH 7 cell packs ?
... 4?? ... More ??

Actually, I think two or a max of three of the 2600's will do it. I am rountinely getting close to a half hour flying time on two seven cell Sanyo 2600 packs.
Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393

Thanks again,

Russ
Old 02-18-2003, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by Mini Boy
gmaster!

I've been reading that 200 mile long thread for 3 days! ... Lots of nice pics, lots of info! If you guys hadn't made so many posts, you would have been flying your Coronas 2 weeks sooner! (kidding)

Thanks

Russ
haha... if the weather was nicer to us i know i would of prob go it done faster and would of been practicing more... over the weekend.. rain/freezing rain/sleet/cold.. bah.. need to find an indoor place to practice..

Old 02-18-2003, 08:27 PM

gmaster:

I hear ya barkin' about the weather ... we had 23" of snow yesterday, so I have enjoyed the luxury of taking today off to get some work done on the Corona. Got a lot of good ideas from the pics in the 200 mile thread.

HOVERUP:

Thanks for the battery / charger consultation (I'm watching the mail for your bill).

After ever MORE research and shopping, I e-mailed fxaeromodels, as their website says they have the Shulze charger, Sanyo HR-SC 2600 NiMH packs, connectors, Hacker motor & ESC etc., etc. I HATE buying stuff from 20 different places ... too confusing.

Today I got the main rotor assembly balanced nicely ... the subrotor appeared out of balance, but in reality I am sure it was the head. The end of the feathering plate that has the subrotor pushrod was heavy, causing that blade grip to point straight down, while if you coaxed it to point straight up, the subrotor blades balanced. So, I left that be and considered that to be part of the main blade balance. About an hour and a half later, the main rotor balanced in ANY position. Boom & tailrotor are in progress.

I'll keep you posted,

Russ
Old 02-18-2003, 10:07 PM

I failed to mention Fitz at FXAeromodels as a great source for the items you are buying. You will be very pleased with his service and prices. One other benefit in dealing with Fitz, is that he flies what he sells.
Good decision! Happy hovering! Glad to help. Keep us posted on your progress.
Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Old 02-18-2003, 10:30 PM

Thanks Boyd!

Here's a copy of the e-mail:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi!

Do you have the following:

1 - Shulze isl 6-330-D Charger
?? - Whatever connectors DON'T come with it for power in & out
3 - Sanyo HR-SC 2600 7 cell flat packs
10 - 12 pair (sets of two?) gold bullet connectors
6 - pair Deans Ultra connectors
2 - Landing gear for e-Venture
1 - Hacker C-40-12 Brushless motor
1 - Esc for above (Hacker or your sugestion)
All for LMH Corona

Heard lots of good stuff about you on web forums.

Russ / Mini Boy

[email protected]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Boyd:

Would you happen to have a phone # for Fitz??

Chat soon,
Russ
Old 02-19-2003, 02:16 AM

From his website:

"Please E-mail for orders or inquires at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may be, but FXA is not a full time business (yet). FXA will attempt to answer any e-mail promptly and as soon as possible. If you must talk via phone, please call us at: (817) 246-3662, 6pm-9pm CST. "

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Old 02-19-2003, 03:56 AM

COOL Boyd!

I looked at a lot of sites today, didn't look close enough to catch that phone number. If Fitz doesn't reply by tomorrow mid evening (his time), I'll give him a shout. Thanks again.

Had a good day today. After completing the rotor head (with 2 - # 4 grips BTW), (I got the tail boom and tail rotor done. The tail rotor is not attached to the boom yet as I can't stand that PURPLEboom, so I'm going to paint it and the fin at work tomorrow. I still am pretty amazed at how well everything is fitting. It is interestingly simple, but quite precision, a bit cheesy but adequate, etc. I especially like those high dollar quick release warning stickers on the main blades (erggghghhhhyyaaaaaa).

Hittin' the hay ... eyes are crossed.

Chat soon,

Russ

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.