Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
 Should I Get A Model 117? >

Should I Get A Model 117?

Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Should I Get A Model 117?

Old 06-05-2006, 02:08 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Get A Model 117?

Hi, I've been a plane flier for a bit and recently got into helis. Just about to master hovering with a fixed pitch FEDA Dragonfly, so I'm looking for a small heli that I can fly around the house and in small places. I'm familiar with the Norvel plane powerplants - really excellent engines (I have 3).

I've always preferred glow to electric and the LMHs seem to be the only 1/2A sized helis around. Unfortunately, the cost is frightfully high - I can get a CCPM 400 sized electric heli (e.g. Zap 400 or Ark X400 or even a Trex) for about the same cost (or even less).

I know there are 3rd party upgrade kits to make the 117 a CP machine, but the costs involved seem a little excessive (several times the price of the basic kit)

Is there some reason why a fixed pitch LMH 117 is so expensive? Price aside, is it a reasonably good heli that I should seriously consider buying?

Thanks.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:26 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Should I Get A Model 117?

I was in the same boat you are. I am a plane guy and always prefer nitro, but, the norvel heli engines are seriously the worst engines i have ever tried to tune. Do a search on the v-max 7 and see all the complaints. I could never get it right and i am a good tunner, all my other engines run perfectly. Buy the electric version, i ended up converted mine because i was so frusturated.

In turms of price, i have bought almost no replacment parts. It is trully the most durable heli out there. They second you crash it into the ground you will be happy you bought it. It will save you money in the long run.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:07 PM

Thanks Cambo. I've read about the problems of the norvel heli engines and it does surprise me - their plane engines are among the best I've run. It's good that you pointed it out; with your background, it sounds like the engines are definitely the problem.

Well, I got my dragonfly free and I've smashed it into the ground countless times learning to hover. Parts count so far are just 1 main blade and 1 tail rotor blade. I can just about hover properly now, so perhaps I should be looking at a CP machine instead.

Tough decision, since there doesn't appear to be any other nitro alternative.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:47 PM

From what i have seen you can pretty much get a hawk pro for the same price. CCPM and all. Only thing is that it is a 30 size so we are talking about a 50inch blade.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:14 AM

Well, actually as it happens I have a Raptor 30 v2 rigged and just sitting around waiting till I get enough practice on the dragonfly.

Will probably start that up this weekend and see how much of a decapitator it is!

Was hoping to get something small that I can fly around the neighbourhood mid week, hence the interest in the 117. But its looking like an electric is the best bet in that size bracket. I fly electric planes sometimes, but it was a hoot pulling high alpha flight in the garden with a 0.061 Novel powered PBF. Thought the 117 might be a heli equivalent, but I guess not....

Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:06 PM

Efish look what i stumbled upon
http://www.raidentech.com/hearfnigasra.html
Old 06-06-2006, 10:01 PM
TIA

Wow!

That's cool!
Old 06-07-2006, 08:04 AM

Oooooh!!! That's about exactly what I want!!! .......

Until I saw the price (without engine at that) [&o] and thought about spares..... All in its still a better bet than the 117.

It's definitely on my "to seriously consider" list now though.... (now, did I see a .15 sized enya heli engine in the LHS?.....)

Thanks cambo!
Old 06-07-2006, 08:27 AM

Oh! Oh! Just realised that there is a LHS that stocks the Black Hawk! Generally avoid the shop cuz the service and knowledge level is abysmal, though his prices can (on occasion) be ludicrously low! Think he gets stuff directly from the factories in China.

Will go by tommorrow morning to see if I can swing a sweet deal. Pretty sure it will almost definitely be cheaper than any price in the States, plus at least I'll know that parts can be obtained.

Thanks for putting me onto this again Cambo, I just had to buy another overpriced tail motor for my dragonfly; much rather spend the money on nitro fuel!!
Old 06-12-2006, 05:52 PM

Any updates Efish?
Old 06-13-2006, 04:21 AM

Hi Cambo, yup, went down yesterday and saw the black hawk 500 GP in all its glory. Over here, its being sold as an ARF - i.e. with everything except electronics but including engine, fuel tank, aluminium muffler etc etc.

Sadly, I don't think I'll be getting one for now because:-

1. Pricewise, it's around 270USD equivalent, which I guess isn't too bad except that its an unproven unknown product AND I can get an Ark X-400 with a brushles setup and AND 2 battery packs for about the same (from a great LHS with real fliers to boot). Will miss the glow engine ..... (but at least I have a Raptor)

2. The service totally sucks - he wouldn't even give me an exact price and I got a scolding for even asking. I'd hate to have to go back to him for upgrades and parts (which he seems to have quite a few).

So all things considered, I think I'll probably run with an X-400 for my daily flying and put the Black Hawk on hold until either the price dips a little, and/or I hear some good things about the bird and/or I come into a little extra funds.

If you decide to get one and have any difficulty getting parts or upgrades though, I'd be happy to get whatever you need and send them off to wherever you are. The LHS put in an entire rack of parts and upgrades of the balck hawk and claim that they have everything.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:41 PM

Thanks efish, but i won't be getting it with my corona running so nicely now. I think i will save up for the CP head on my Corona
Good Luck
Old 06-13-2006, 08:09 PM

Well, I just blew up the speed controller on my dragonfly plus worked through 2 main brushed motors. Repair costs are running way too high on my little fixed pitch for the training intensity I'm putting in. Think it's definitely time for me to move on to something else like the ARK.

All the best with your Corona - they're really pricey over here. Going by the prices on the net, it would actually be cheaper for me to buy another CP heli than to upgrade an LMH, so I guess both the Corona and the 117 are out for me.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:50 AM

225.00 http://www.nitroplanes.com/elecheli.html
Old 06-29-2006, 12:21 AM

Im in the same boat, im looking to get into helis, I fly planks and prefer the smell of nitro in the morning to coffee. But what are the options other than a lite machine and the gp500. IM wondering what engine and servos the gp500 uses. I have some hitec hs-81's, 5 chanel receiver and a futaba 6 channel radio, i assume the gp500 is 6 channel so I will need anothe receiver at the least. But surely the 50 dollar .15 engines arent the ones to be used??? Some insite anyone?
Old 06-29-2006, 09:27 AM

Mikeslater, you sound like me when I first got into helis. I went with the LMH 110 back then. Its known as the 116 now. I didnt go with the LMH Corona electric heli. Back then the electrics were a little more expensive. I was a diehard nitro kinda guy. Through many friends I got to know via these forums, they convinced me and also some helped me parts wise to convert over to electric. Well, Im a full electric convert now. Its much better than the glow power. Theres is no mess to clean up. Dont have to wipe down the heli before putting it up. only occasional cleaning I have to do is bug guts on the blades.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:31 PM

I agree, electric is the way to go with LMH.

I still love my gas plane engines though. Starting, running, maintaning engines, and especially listen to my 4-strokes, is something i love about them. That is just me though. BTW plane engines sound way cooler all around than that anoying v-max engine.