Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
First flight (attempt)..advice? >

First flight (attempt)..advice?

Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

First flight (attempt)..advice?

Old 02-15-2003, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First flight (attempt)..advice?

Thanks to all here. I've picked up a lot of tips here. Now my questions.

My Corona is Hacker C40-12T powered with 3300mAH pack and JR G410T gyro. I mounted the gyro on a platform above the wire cutout in the crutch but, due to slight interferrence to the fuse, I am moving it above the boom as have several here.

First attempts to power up gave me the impression the gyro wasn't working. When allowed to leave the ground it rotated counter-clockwise and I couldn't stop it with full stick deflection. Holding the bird in my hand and rotating counter-clockwise causes the tail rotor to increase pitch. Seems correct to me. I'd prefer to feel comfortable that the HH function works before winding it up to do the main rotor tracking checks.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcomed. If there is an experienced Corona driver in the far north Chicago suburbs (Grayslake area) that could check my Corona out and offer advice I'd certainly welcome that too.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:11 AM

what i did when i first got mine done.. was strap on some home-made training gear.. then spun up the hacker to see how the blades spun..etc.. my first attempt mine went nose to the right.. so i had to turn the clevis on the tail a few turns to even out the tail... now it goes up smoothly.. i know how it is when u first spin up i was a lil hesitant.. but after i did i quickly learned its not gonna fly away from me. and now i can hover pretty good now..

good luck..
Old 02-16-2003, 04:33 AM

Sounds like a good start but will wait until the wind dies and it warms a little. BTW, I grew up abput 120 miles west of you ibn Lexington.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:49 PM

DOH! Realized that I had inadvertantly reversed the TR servo. Also had to reverse the gyro. Things are more settled but wind is not cooperating. I did manage to maneuver around the yard a bit and hopped to eye level a couple of times with no damages.