Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
batteries and charger >

batteries and charger

Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

batteries and charger

Old 02-25-2003, 02:25 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default batteries and charger

I just got my electric corona 120.Trying to fly it and I was just wondering if any of you guys can help me with better bateries.
I got to 2400 mhA from same store I got the heli and I also got the charger there.
What kind of batteries and chargers are you guys using and how much flight time you get and how do you charge them.
Did any of you try lithium poly baterries.
Any input is welcome.

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:08 AM

Have a look at the 2600mAh Nimh cells and for a charger I guess the GP Triton must be "flavour of the month" because it's as good as a SuperNova or Astro 110 but will also charge lithiums which, like you recognise, is the way things are going.

Cliff
Old 02-28-2003, 12:41 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Default li-po's

So are the LI-PO'S lot better thah regular Nimh.Is it worth extra cost?
Old 02-28-2003, 11:57 AM

Current thinking on LiPo for use in helicopters the size of the Corona and larger is that they are still too expensive for what they deliver.

At the present time the maximum current available from LiPo is about 5C so to deliver the kind of current/voltage you need for a Corona (or bigger) you have to have LOADS of cells connected in both parallel and series and as each cell is quite expensive the overall cost is prohibitive. However there is talk of new LiPo batteries coming along that are good for 10C. In effect this will then halve the number of cells needed and (hopefully) also halve the cost. That's probably the point that people (apart from the really rich ones!) will start to switch over to LiPo from NiMh and NiCd.

The other thing holding LiPo back is that while some NiCd packs can be charged at up to 5C (so 10 minutes say) most LiPo cells cannot be charged at over 1C so it takes AGES to charge them (but it's true they will then also fly the aircraft for ages too!). This drawback tends to make you want to have more than one set of packs but then you hit the cost thing again.

Cliff
Old 02-28-2003, 03:01 PM
My Feedback: (16)

I have a 2700maH NiMH pack that I use my new Hobbico MKII charger on and it works great!