Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
 Lite MAchines Coron 120 battery pack >

Lite MAchines Coron 120 battery pack

Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Lite MAchines Coron 120 battery pack

Old 06-05-2007, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lite MAchines Coron 120 battery pack

Gidday all,

Quick question.....

The 2400mah NiCAd 7 cell 8.4v pack has died and will not hold a meaninful charge, even after recycling the pack a few times. (Sanyo cells)

Can I simply replace this with a NiMh pack and do I need to match the Mah rating back to 2400 or will something higher rated work o/k.?

Probably a stupid question but I know nothing about electrics.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 06-05-2007, 10:13 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Lite MAchines Coron 120 battery pack

Hi
MAH rating tells you the battery compacity. The heli could care less how many MAH the battery has. I ran 8 cell 4300 mah batteries on my corona and got 15 minute flight times. What it does care about is voltage. More voltage equals more power but most small electric engines (400-500 can size) can only take about 12v. 12v is only realistic with lipos though because of the weight required to get that voltage with NiMH. 9.6V (8cell) is the best comprimise between weight and power.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:59 AM

Default RE: Lite MAchines Coron 120 battery pack

Hello,

Ypu can switch to NiMH without the heli noticing and you will get better batteries which are far more easy to manage (no more discharging before charging to avoid memory effects). Stick to 7-cell and buy as big a capacity as you can afford. 3000 MAh is, in my view, a good compromise between capacity and economics.

In principle you could also convert to LiPo but with the LMH Corona this is not a fantastic idea - the LiPos are so light that the heli will become more unstable. So save the expense of LiPos and a new LiPo-capable charger and get some ordinary 7-cell NiMH racing packs.

Best regards,

Bing117, Copenhagen, Denmark

PS: Do I take my own medicine? - no, but that's because I was foolish enough to buy three NiCD flight packs with the heli (being a newcomer I did not really know anything). And my packs still work excellently - but I do take care to use the discharge facility on my electronic charger before recharging and the charger is a reasonably sophisticated German fast-charger from Multiplex.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79171.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	698541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28221.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	698542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di11214.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	37.0 KB